Dune 2018 (19,20,21...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Dec 22, 2016.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Express VPN with a US iTunes account is a good way to get the service if you don't live in the Colonies.

2. wayoung

wayoung Commodore Commodore

Are VPNs working for streaming again? I used to vpn into US Netflix all the time but they somehow blocked them a few years ago. Nowadays if you try you get an error message

3. thribs

Netflix is the exception. The others work fine. For Netflix you need a VPN plugin to watch it on a computer. For streaming devices like a Roku or FireTV it's a bit trickier to do.
    I use an Apple TV with modified DNS addresses. That works for HBO Max, Hulu and Peacock.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is why I usually avoid the thirty dollar price tag for the early release streaming titles available. Since I always go to the theatres by my self, I can buy my ticket and a meal to eat at a nearby restaurant for just under thirty dollars. Paying thirty just to watch the movie at home just makes no sense at all to me.

Timewalker and fireproof78 like this.
  5. wayoung

Ugghhh.

I'm not going to share it here because it is BS, but to head it off...

The programmer at Cannes was asked if any American producers/directors had submitted any big films.

He replied that yes, one had.

Some rando screenshot that reply and tweeted that must be Dune based on the word "planetary" being used.

From there it's being shared across the internet as "Dune is premiering at Cannes!"

It's not impossible Dune will premiere at Cannes but there is no reason to suspect it will.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I hate when the online new sites all start jumping to assumptions based on stuff like that.
    That sounds really annoying. I think the only real different between the tiers for Hulu, Paramount and Peacock is if it has commercials or not. I believe as long as you pay you get pretty much all the same content.
    Hulu does have optional add ons for HBO and stuff like that, and a "live TV" thing that opens more stuff, but you don't need those for all of originals or exclusives.

7. wayoung

The guys defending it too while claiming "I said 'possibly' so it's not click bait fake news" :rolleyes:

We don't have Hulu in Canada although our Disney+ just got updated with a lot of its content.

We don't have ad supported tiers for anything that I'm aware of.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way the streaming services are set up in Canada is weird. In some cases it's because particular services aren't available in Canada, or at least weren't back when the shows first premiered and now they have to honor the pre-existing contracts, like why the new Star Treks aren't on the Canadian Paramount+ but in others it's just weird. Paramount+/CBS All Access was available in Canada when The Stand was released, but rather than being on their Canadian outlet, it's on Canadian Amazon Prime. Likewise the Netflix movie Stowaway is also on Canadian Prime rather than Canadian Netflix

9. wayoung

Hey, do you guys have ads on Amazon prime? We do before the episode/movie, for other Amazon products.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it usually plays a ad for another Amazon Prime show, but that's it.
    That surprises me, I figured Hulu would be big enough it was everywhere.
    We have ad supported tiers for Hulu, Peacock, and Paramount+. Peacock also has a free tier, but with that you don't get access to any of their original content, and a lot of the bigger shows and movies. Hulu used to have a free tier too, but they got rid of that a few years.
    HBOMax just announced yesterday they're going to ad a cheaper add supported tier, but that won't include the first day release movies like The Suicide Squad, Space Jam: A New Legacy, and Dune.

11. thribs

Zavvi in the UK have the original Dune 4K steelbook special edition up for preorder.
    [​IMG]

12. wayoung

13. wayoung

14. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Premium Member

Hmmmmm, do I need another Dune disk set........
    [​IMG]

Yes, yes I do.

Markonian and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. thribs

Ha! No DVD of the miniseries? :)
    I personally don’t own Dune on any physical media so I’ll be getting it.

16. wayoung

No Children of Dune?

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume that's to be found in the C section.

18. wayoung

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

...oh! October 22. Not October '22. Scared me for a moment!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's not so bad.