News DSC Season 2 Premiere Reviews

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PiotrB, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why do our opinions on this little board matter more than those on RT Audience?

They are just as entitled to their criticisms of the series over there, as we are to praise it over here.

Looking through Youtube, the reviews range from mixed to negative on the S2 premiere, but even that is such a small group.

The only way we'll get a worthwhile, meaningful consensus on STD S2 is if/when they release some viewership and subscription numbers for the first few episodes and we see if there is a significant audience... decent enough to justify the show's insane costs.

Serveaux likes this.
  2. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

YT reviews mixed to negative? Well no surprises there....

Campe and Hythlodeus like this.
  3. PiotrB

PiotrB Commander Red Shirt

1. Audience score on this forum: 88,3%
    2. Imdb:
    [​IMG]

Anyway if you read this you will understand that all this audience scores are non representative for population of people watching DSC. RT is skewed by haters, [1] by fans. [2] is probably best because largest sample but also non representative. Anyway in the end for CBS and Netflix only one metric is important and this metric symbol is $. :lol:

JoeP and Lord Garth like this.
  4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, poppycock.

The season premiere has a straightforward plot, there's a weird thing, they go see the weird thing, and there's some jokes, some action sequences, and some family drama along the way. It's an entirely serviceable hour of television and one has to bring a shitload of negative bias to rate it 1/10.

Ovation, JoeP, Lord Garth and 4 others like this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Except for the positive ratings. :lol:

6. PiotrB

Where are you seeing 'except' in 'all those audience scores'? BTW even better with larger and more diverse sample from TV Time app:
    [​IMG]
    and another from trakt.tv:
    [​IMG]

Those audience scores show more objective sentiment toward this episode than trekbbs or RT. Nevertheless trekbbs score is objectively more closer to them than RT score. Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I see that the usual rationalizing and negative spinning is taking place in this thread, and not the ongoing thread reviewing the episode.

Easier to hide and not be overwhelmingly laughed off in a smaller thread like this, I guess?

Lord Garth, Agony_Boothb and JoeP like this.
  8. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

And speaking of TV Time... Discovery is tracked by 184000 people. In comparison, The Orville is tracked by 91000. Way more people than rate the episodes on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.

JoeP, Lord Garth, Roald and 1 other person like this.
  9. PiotrB

Exactly. Similarly on trak.tv DSC watchers number is 118k vs. 95.2k Orville's.

10. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I may be paranoid, but I sincerely believe that ‘The Axanar-camp’ rallied up its supporters to bombard RT and IMDB with 1/10 ratings for any new Trek coming out of Paramount or CBS, as a payback for the lawsuit.. Add to that a frightingly large group of people that will give a 1/10 to anything with minorities in leading roles (believe me, they’re real) that somehow troll RT, YT and IMDB... no one can say ‘the numbers are what they are’ with a straight face....

Vger23, Hythlodeus and Lord Garth like this.
  11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Basically any public review site that doesn't have any one combing for trolls, or any review criteria is unreliable.

12. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Let's say a TV show is a "legit" 7.5 on IMDB (whatever legit means since it is unknown what a non-bias baseline for IMDB scores is, because all IMDB scores include a bias).

The IMDBers who blindly rate it a 10 just because they are "apologists" for that show will affect the score less than an equal amount of IMDBers who rate it a 1 just because they are blind haters.

What I'm saying is that the only way the biased people who blindly rate it a 10 and the biased people who blindly rate it a 1 cancel each other out (assuming an equal amount of biased people from both sides doing the rating) is if the show itself is a legit 5.

I personally think that IMDB should secretly throw out both the 10s and the 1s, but don't tell anyone that they are doing it, so the biased raters can't compensate by giving 9s and 2s

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was not keen on the scene with the space helmet that instantly forms around your head in the cockpit bit! I think they ripped off the Lost in Space movie there and it was more plausible in that than here!
    JB

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No

15. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if you watch the said movie you'll see the self same effects but of course twenty years earlier! :biggrin:
    JB

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, at this point the second year premiere of STD is at 27% "Liked It" at RottenTomatoes.

17. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

And yet on TV Time with thousands of reviews it’s at 9.5/10, a bit higher than a few days ago.

The 2nd season premiere of the other space show you like so much is only rated a 6/10 on the same site.

JoeP and PiotrB like this.
  18. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I give that precisely as much weight as I give the absurdly positive critic score for the first season.

Campe and BillJ like this.
  19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm cautiously optimistic going forward, and they have three more weeks to hook me completely.

20. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I can’t lie — after the first season, I’m very nervous about the faith v science storyline. But I appreciate the course correction in the shorts and first ep, so I’m rolling with it and wishing them the best.

BillJ likes this.