Spoilers DS9: Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found) Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Rate Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found)

1. Outstanding

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Above Average

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sucks that this is an EBook only

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

^ It does only seem like story enough for an ebook, otherwise it would have to be the B plot to constitute a full novel.

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone here ever objected to how way back in Unity, Quark's bar was made the Ferengi Embassy to Bajor? I favor the idea that an embassy is the sole diplomatic mission located in a foreign capital; Quark's bar should be Ferengi Consulate to Bajor.

4. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I haven't really been keeping up with DS9 lit over the past number of years -- is there a quick answer as to why the station no longer really looks like DS-Nine anymore? Was there a major refit after it officially became a Federation outpost?

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So because the sole diplomatic mission from Ferenginar to Bajor isn't in the capital, it gets demoted from embassy to consulate? That doesn't seem right to me.

I don't see anything in the dictionary definition to say it has to be in the capital; just where the ambassador works. The bar is where Quark works, so it's the embassy.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Depends on if you plan on diving in and reading the books you've missed :devil: Memory Beta has the overview.

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well look at it this way. The UK has its embassy to the U.S. in Washington, D.C. All their other diplomatic offices on U.S. soil are consulates. I've never heard of it working any other way for any other real-life nation. You ever hear of an "embassy" in Los Angeles or Chicago?

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Ferenginar doesn't have any diplomatic facilities on Bajor itself - which may be the case for reasons as yet unclear - then putting the embassy in Quark's makes enough sense to me.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

They did nearly go to war in The 34th Rule.

10. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great read, really enjoyed it. Laughed so many times while reading it. The writers got Quark's voice perfectly.

I would happily buy a Trill symbiont plush toy!!

Highly recommend! Hopefully these writers will be signed up for another book soon.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess what's on the title page. :barf:

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Your hatred of that logo amuses me greatly. :lol:

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The font used for The Next Generation and Typhon Pact books is dreadful.

14. DS9forever

They have been, for another Quark story. Margaret Clark commented that Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found) was really well received by Pocket Books.

15. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Me too! :)

I enjoyed the story. It read like a stand-alone episode, and was enjoyable. Not a super-duper great artwork like some of Treklit books are, but decent entertainment :)

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

It giggles when you squeeze it!

I wonder if it was a Trill who marketed them. Would such a person be considered an embarrassment by his or her family, the shame of the Trill homeworld?

Alternatively, I wonder if there's a trend for young Trills to buy symbiont plushes and wear them in their pouches, or in toy pouches worn on the waist? And then the little boys and girls can squeeze it when they want a friend. That would be so cute...

On the serious front, yes, I liked this one. It was genuinely funny, nicely light-hearted and just a nice, easy read. Good stuff.

17. BuckBokai

BuckBokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished this last night and I really enjoyed it. It was light and fun. Obviously with the shorter length e-books we don't get to see an intricate story or anything, but I like them because they can focus on stories that wouldn't normal make it into a novel. This was a great Quark story that felt like it could be the B plot of a DS9 episode.

18. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely delightful. Light-hearted, fun, zany, laugh-out-loud funny in some places, and generally very enjoyable.

I loved the holo-conference, the bulletin boards with resident crazy conspiracy theorists, the singular focus that these novella-length stories allow, the Paramount arch gag, the fact that what seems like such total female exploitation is actually females taking advantage of males.

I found the creation of Shmenge somehow confusing. It was weird to get a new character inserted for what seemed like no big reason. We needed someone for Quark to talk to, for pure exposition purposes, and someone to get excited by all the stuff Quark is jaded about. But it just felt odd to create a whole new character for the purpose, to the extent that I was waiting for the other shoe to drop with the character. The name's similarity to Shmun, the VLS POV character, made me wonder if he was in on it with T'Lana. Then when Pel showed up, I wondered if she'd done it again and dressed up as a boy to get a drop on Quark. But in the end it ended up being neither.

I'm glad it was established that both Ishka and Rionoj are both still alive and around, because I have story ideas for them both.

Oh, and there was another spelling mistake right at the beginning. Vedek, not Vedic.

Aside from that one tiny nitpick, this was a definite triumph. A small, inconsequential but just delightful little story. Quark hasn't had any focus since Satisfaction Is Not Guaranteed in 2005, so it was about bloody time!

19. DS9forever

I found the eBook delightful. I hope we get an entire series of DS9 eBooks - it is the series that lends itself best to smaller, character-led stories. The gap between The Soul Key and Rough Beasts of Empire/Zero Sum Game could be filled in this way.

20. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Very enjoyable. Read last night at the airport & on a flight to Las Vegas. Finished up as we were getting ready to touch down.

I enjoyed this a great deal. I'm pleased Block & Erdmann have apparently been contracted for another one.