DS9 is getting a new DVD release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Balok's Decoy, Nov 30, 2016.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. And yeah we are.

2. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I don't think this thread title is accurate. This is merely a repackaging of the old release. "New release" implies more and/or better content, which is not present in this repackaging.

A lot of modern DVD releases come in much worse packaging than the original DS9 DVDs. For example, at least the original DS9 DVDs housed each disc in it's own hard plastic jewel case-type container (as opposed to say, a paper envelope or a spindle, or nothing at all).

I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced that the DS9 repackaging will have better rather than worse packaging as compared to the original.

3. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course this would come only months after me buying the UK set.

50 Hz sucks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be very difficult indeed to have packaging WORSE than the original DS9 sets.

dub and ichab like this.
  5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it doesn't tear a part than it's already better.

ichab and dub like this.
  6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I don't care what negative things y'alls are saying about this rerelease - I think it's amazeballs. :biggrin: This past summer I bought the repackaged TNG DVDs CBS released, and I couldn't be happier with them. Never thought I'd be able to get all of TNG 'new' for that cheap. Now that they're doing this with DS9 & VOY, I hereby demand come March that CBS shuts up and takes my money.

DS9forever likes this.
  7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There was nothing wrong with the orginal packaging. A Hard plastic outer case.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll say the original packaging was a bit lackluster. Fortunately, I wasn't buying the series for the packaging.

9. SSOASS

SSOASS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'll pass, I love the show but there is no way I can justify that price for not really that much in the way of extras and knowing I have the entire series awaiting me on Netflix whenever I want

10. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

And I would argue that until they pay my bills I'll be the one to decide what I will or will not buy. :techman:

Seriously, that makes no sense at all...

"Rebuy the same complete series you bought more than ten years ago on the off chance that you can buy it for a third time on another format." Crazy. This is clearly meant for the new Trek fans that have sprouted up in the last decade.

Far as the packaging goes I put my discs in a case logic and threw that plastic crap away years ago.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

In the UK and Europe only? I might be wrong, but in the US, I think the packaging for the first release consisted of the plastic trays folded inside a flimsy plastic sheet inserted inside a flimsy plastic slip case.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't care about whether or not the packaging was bad. It's not like I was going to keep carelessly shuffling the set around once I purchased it. My problem was the discs themselves had issues...and unfortunately, I have to conclude that the problems were caused by the poor packaging. I ended up purchasing replacement discs because several discs in the factory sealed set I purchased had playback issues. The set was already falling apart when I opened it. I realize there is a difference in purchasing a "new" set years after its release vs. when it was newly released, but it's a testament to the poor packaging that discs were already loose upon breaking the seal. And yes, I realize it was probably sitting in a warehouse and shipped back and forth several times before it got to me. But I have never had an experience like this with any other DVD purchase...ever. So if you had a good set, consider yourself lucky. Or, perhaps those of us who didn't have the best experience should consider ourselves unlucky. Either way, just know the packaging could have absolutely been way better. There's no debating it. And I say that as someone who thinks the set "looks" cool. But looks aren't everything.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I ripped the DVD contents to a hard drive as MKV files -- much more convenient. In fact, now I think on it, you could fit an entire season onto a 64GB SD card.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I did the same thing, Asbo. Unfortunately, one of the episodes didn't rip completely because of - you guessed it - a problem with the disc. But I got most of the series ripped at least.