Spoilers Dr. Hugh Culber Despite Yourself Spoilers!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kirk the Jerk, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just for counter to your example, they managed to kill other black characters on TOS and the series survived... ;)

They killed A gay character, not THE gay character.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. This is a bit like if they had killed Uhura in the middle of the first season.

cultcross and { Emilia } like this.
  3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Nope, it would be like if they killed a lesser black character that Uhura was dating...

4. Feron

Feron Commander Red Shirt

Yes! In an early thread I stated that if we had a poll wanting to know which character we would rather have as a neighbor, I would vote Dr. Culber because he is the friendliest and seems the fairest and most ethical to me. The only caveat I made was if it was a high crime neighborhood I'd want Lorca, because Mr. Pistol under the Pillow would scare off any bad guys. ;)

But they clearly wrote him in a way designed to make us like and care about him and his welfare. In an ensemble of many gruff and dark personalities, he was consistently friendly and professional.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

There are very few series built around tough and gruff characters where being the moral voice of reason leads to a long survival time. ;)

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get what you're saying, and if this were 10 years ago I'd agree with you. However, just because Star Trek is late to this party doesn't mean they need to write gay characters any differently than heterosexual characters, since Star Trek TV hasn't had an openly gay regular character in a relationship before now. Don't handcuff the writers of Discovery because past Star Treks writers didn't broach the subject with their regular characters.

I think gay relationships (just like interracial relationships) are too common on TV and in films today for those characters and their storylines to be treated any differently than characters in a heterosexual realtionship.

TV stopped making interarracial couples a "special thing to have special storylines" a little while ago, and now interracial couples are so common that their storylines no longer NEED to be about the fact that they are interracial. If gay couples and gay characters are also no longer given special treatment by writers, they too will be no longer considered by viewers as anything other than just like any other character/relationship -- which should be the goal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Feron likes this.
  7. Longinus

No, because here the existence of the actual couple is the important thing.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Is it? whole conversation was about how it was important that we had positive and important gay characters. Now the characters don't matter, and the important thing is whether they are getting laid? Why is their relationship status more important than whether the characters exist at all?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably my favorite Culber scene in the whole series was when he lets Lorca have it with both barrels. Although I was almost afraid Lorca would kill him after that...

10. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I'm not sure a straight white man is the right person to decide what kind of minority representation is important.

Turtletrekker and waxon like this.
  11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The actress wanted to leave so its possible it could have happened anyway

12. Longinus

Indeed. But luckily it didn't.

Feron likes this.
  13. Nyotarules

In the 60's the existence of showing Uhura in a relationship would have been just as important. There is a reason Avery Brooks wanted to show a good relationship between father and son on DS9 and insisted his romantic leads be black female actors.

14. Nyotarules

Too late they produce most tv shows

Longinus likes this.
  15. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Because otherwise you end up in the apologist camp we had pre Discovery where you (general you) try to argue there were loads of LGB characters on Trek we just never saw them in relationships so you didn't know! The way you demonstrate sexuality in fiction is to have them either in a relationship, or wanting one, talking about one, etc. Unlike, say, representation of women or visible ethnic minorities, the relationship dynamic is quite key here. Having a same sex relationship on Star Trek treated with respect and presented in a natural, non stereotypical and engaging way is a really big deal for a rigidly heteronormative franchise - it's a shame they decided to undo that so soon, and especially by this means.

Longinus likes this.
  16. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

One of the two main show-runners who makes those decisions, Aaron Harberts, is openly gay.

The Visitor is seen by many as one of the best DS9 episodes ever, perhaps even one of the best for the whole Star Trek franchise. And it's about Jake Sisko dealing with the loss of his father who's trapped in another dimension for decades. It's about the bonds of love which transcend time and space. It's also about how grief changes you as a person. I think that's the kind of story they may be aiming for with Stamets and Culber. I could be completely wrong, of course. But I find that more compelling than a simple cheat where he's magically resurrected/revived due to spores or a random nurse finding him in the nick of time.

I think having Culber and Stamets in a similar scenario to The Visitor would be awesome and heartbreaking if executed well. Since the writers ran the storyline (whatever it is) past GLAAD first and got their blessing, I am content to trust them & wait and see how the story plays out. It may still turn out to be badly executed and a bad decision over all, but we haven't even yet seen how what happened to Culber will affect the rest of the crew - especially Stamets. It's early days. All we know is that he's not 100% dead, he will be back in some form, and that it seems that the writers want to continue the Stamets/Culber love story in some way, but with a meta-physical or sci fi twist.

Besides, there are countless Trek stories of people being in another dimension or out of phase or temporal synch etc. trying to communicate with regular characters as a plot point. It's never treated like actual ghosts or spirits of the dead. Even the awful Sub Rosa story with Crusher didn't go that far. What makes you think it will be different in this instance? Or, even more importantly, why can't they explore what death is, what it means to us as individuals and a species, is that a verboten topic? Heck they already went deep into the whole God is at the center of the universe thing as a major movie plot-line.

ETA: direct quote from

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-trek-discover-despite-yourself-1202657617/

“So everybody hold on,” Harberts said. “Some really phenomenal stuff is coming, and if you think that the out gay showrunner and his more-than-supportive writing partner and friend of more than 20 years are just going to kill a gay character to be done with a gay character, you’re wrong. And if anybody thinks that you would hire two of the best gay out actors working today in Anthony Rapp and Wilson Cruz and put them on ‘Star Trek’ just to sort of throw them away, you would also be very, very wrong.”

antinoos and Feron like this.
  17. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That, plus it seems that
    Culber will not stay dead

So it's not like
    the gay relationship will be gone from the show

antinoos and Feron like this.
  18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

There's definitely an echo in this thread.

1. The writer's gay

2. They didn't kill him because he's gay

3. They're probably undoing it anyway

Nobody is arguing against any of those points. Doesn't change the point that this is a disappointing example of a 'bury your gays' trope on a show that has only just managed to have any.

The same types of arguments apply to the fact the Discovery seems keen on getting rid of female leaders, and replacing them with men. But I also find that a little disappointing if I'm honest.

waxon and Longinus like this.
  19. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

People dying on Discovery:

- the female asian captain.
    - the female security officer POC.
    - the gay POC.

White people seem to be reasonably safe.

Glad they're casting minorities but I wish they weren't mostly used for roles that aren't meant to be permanent.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though Wilson Cruz himself says it isn't?

Turtletrekker, antinoos and Feron like this.