Dr. Bashir allowed to practice medicine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by T'reah, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^There's no room for the genetic engineer to improve--to make his work appear "natural?"

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why should genetic engineering show up in DNA scans? It's not like they made a "Made in UFP" stamp on his genes.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It can do macro level DNA analysis to determine what species the DNA is from in a minute, it can't do micro level analysis to even identify an individual, much less calculate what traits that DNA would result in.

4. JarodRussell

I don't know, I never used one.

5. JirinPanthosa

Whenever on the show they're scanning a biological sample or something, they are able to determine the species but not the identity of the individual.

"These remains are human!"

Not

"These are the remains of a fair skinned, dark haired woman who is 5'7" and good at sports".

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes sense that he would have had a fairly extensive medical exam when he first entered Starfleet.

:)

7. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Although Bashir's parents had him genetically enhanced, Julian became a good and loyal doctor, who saved countless lives and improved the lives of numerous others. So, I think the needs of the many overruled the crime of his parents.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

It wasn't really a case of "he can't be smart naturally", it was more, "He can't be THAT smart naturally." He was pushing the limits of what even a Vulcan could do in terms of mental calculations.

9. JarodRussell

Because that was never important informations in these cases?

10. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Bashir's not the one who committed the crime. He didn't genetically augment himself.

Starfleet compromised. In exchange for the actual criminal agreeing to prison without defending himself, Starfleet got an eminently qualified doctor to stay on one of the most important outposts in the quadrant. This worked out pretty well for Starfleet.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It's not that Bashir did anything wrong. By letting him stay, the Federation is telling everyone it's okay to augment you kid to achieve at anything in life, better than everyone, so long as you go to jail. What parent wouldn't augment their underdeveloped child at their own expense. Bashir would have a comfortable life outside of Starfleet, he'd probably even get scooped up by a think tank or some other high-end organization, but demoting him to a petty officer would help to deter similar future incidents.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^Toleration is not acceptance: I doubt he was ever again nominated for the Carrington Award.

13. JirinPanthosa

That's true, but that's not the way a free society behaves.

14. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

If an augmented Human cannot enter Starfleet, it would only then make sense that the physical done to join Starfleet or enter Starfleet Academy would look for augments.

As far as crimes go, no he's not responsible for becoming an augment, however he did lie on his Starfleet application, and somehow found a way to bypass his physical perhaps by tampering with the bio-bed and/or tricorder used to scan for things that would disqualify a person for Starfleet service. So he did things on his own, hid evidence of his augmentation, perhaps tampering with Starfleet equipment, and once of legal age, continued a conspiracy to hide his augmentation. I would think those things are enough for a court marshal and discharged from Starfleet.

I'm pretty sure other non Federation worlds would have been happy to make him a doctor and have him in their service.

15. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

ahh, the good old retcon where genetic manipulation is outlawed by the federation
    yet in TNG there was a whole outpost doing genetic manipulation to the point of making fully telepathic humans with super immune systems that got regular supply runs from federation starships

I always figured they let him stay in starfleet due to not being the one that got himself modified plus the fact that he wasn't openly using his abilities and was doing good work