Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Feb 11, 2013.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I have no qualms with McGovern. I think Cora is written as a rather bland and weak character; I don't dislike Cora at all but I also don't think there's enough there to actually like, either.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'll take your word for it. I'm not familiar with either that particular play or with Sherlock Holmes (beyond the most superficial details).

I have to admit that I don't remember who Mr. Bricker is. The last time I genuinely enjoyed watching Doctor Who (other than the 50th anniversary stuff on TV and online) was when Tennant was playing the Doctor. I loathe Matt Smith and the pretzel-mess of his stories, and I can't stand Clara so haven't been able to enjoy the Capaldi era.

I just think it's a cool idea to do a crossover, given Penelope Wilton's memorable performances as Harriet Jones and her sympathetic character in Downton Abbey. There are quite a few crossover stories on various fanfic sites that have the premise that Isobel Crawley is really Harriet Jones (or vice versa) and a variety of ways that have her time-traveling. The most obvious is that Harriet Jones ran afoul of a Weeping Angel, got sent waaay back in time, and had to make a new life for herself - thereby becoming Isobel, who married and bore a son named Matthew.

Read and judge for yourself.

Unfortunately, the story is unfinished. But I read what there is, and wrote to the author. I got a return message thanking me and saying that knowing that people were reading the story made a difference, and provided incentive to finish.

I'm unfamiliar with Mr. Selfridge.

The only other thing I've ever seen Elizabeth McGovern in is The Handmaid's Tale. She played Moira, Kate's friend who is lesbian, and makes repeated attempts to escape from the Red Center and get out of Gilead.

I find Cora to be bland, and rather vague most of the time. I don't like Mary, but at least Mary got herself dirty when helping to save the pigs. I can't see Cora doing that. Sometimes when she speaks, her voice gets this syrupy tone that makes me want to slap her. It would drive me nuts to have to be around someone like that in RL.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

McGovern, Dockery and Findlay actually look like they could be related. Poor Edith must take after the Crawleys. ;) OTOH, Carmichael and Anderson could almost pass as relatives. So in that alternate reality its Mary and Sybil who look like Crawleys. ;)

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I know the tone of voice you mean it makes me want to slap her.:lol:
    I think Edith has bit of Violet and Rosamond in her, we had a thing on tumblr wondering if Rosamond was really Edith's mother.
    Damn, just notice I put roll instead of role and it will not let me edit.:scream:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. auntiehill

Fixed it. ;)

The Daily Mail has some cute pictures of the cast doing a read-through.

6. auntiehill

The actor who plays Thomas has made a funny little video, with the help of his castmates, in order to help raise money for a charity.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Zc8dKeDFk[/yt]
    Downton Abbey with Lightsabers!

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Aw, I was expecting Bates' cane to be a secret lightsaber!

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Mr. Bricker was that art expert that was putting the moves on Cora during this past season. He was played by Richard E. Grant, who also played the Great Intelligence during the 7th season of Doctor Who. (He also played the Doctor himself in the animated special "Scream of the Shalka" and in the Comic Relief special "The Curse of the Fatal Death.") He also appeared in the Julian Fellowes movie Gosford Park, playing a snide, bitter footman who was clearly a prelude to Thomas Barrow.