Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Feb 11, 2013.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I got it; it just wasn't very funny. ;)

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty funny spoof by the cast for charity special

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryo7fqdmcGQ[/YT]

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO4UMQIsCW0[/YT]

3. auntiehill

:guffaw:^ that's adorable!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a little worried that Dame Maggie was going to hurt herself by rolling off the couch like that.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Apologies for bumping this thread, but I was wondering if anyone else watched the fifth season that just finished on PBS, with the Christmas special. (yes, it's a bit late for Christmas specials, but that's how PBS scheduled it...)

I saw every episode in this season, and would like to say a few things:

1. There will be a 6th season (yay!).

2. Will they ever figure out who killed the man who raped Anna?

3. All the hoopla over the name of the Crawley's dog (Isis) was ridiculous.

4. Please give Mary some suitors that don't all physically resemble each other. They all look so much alike, and I'm having trouble following this part of the storyline because I can't tell them apart.

5. Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton's characters should move in together. They went from being enemies to frenemies, and are now best friends. These two characters are way more interesting than most of the younger ones.

6. The last 10 minutes of the season finale had me in tears.

6. Allyn Gibson

I'm still watching Downton, so you're not alone! :)

And last night's Christmas episode was pretty schizophrenic. The first hour played like an ordinary episode of Downton, and the last half hour with Christmas several months later felt like a tacked on coda.

As I understand it, it's also supposed to be the last. Dame Maggie Smith says that it will certainly be her last.

Who "they"? The people who know that Anna was raped know that it was Mr. Greene.

There was "hoopla" over Isis' name?

I had trouble with that in the fourth season, but by the fifth I was able to tell Lord Gillingham and Charles Blake apart. And Henry Talbot I'll just think of as Ozymandias. :)

If Isobel doesn't sort out her relationship with Lord Merton and marry him already, I hope Matthew comes back and haunts her until she dies.

There were some lovely moments there.

7. Timewalker

:(

"They" = the police and everyone else involved. Everyone knows who raped Anna. But the police are still trying to figure out who killed him.

I'd have to rewatch this storyline, since there are details I'm fuzzy on by this time.

On CBC and other sites, some very ignorant and misinformed people were saying that the reason they decided to kill Isis off was because the dog's name was the same as that terrorist group that's been killing people (ISIS). Apparently these posters are not up on Egyptian mythology, and also aren't up on the fact that the series airs in this country a long time after it's shot.

They should wear name tags - just a bunch of generic male guest characters, as far as I'm concerned. Not one personality among them worth remembering.

She does have a point about not wanting to live in a household where her stepsons would be so snobbish, arrogant, and hostile. I think she should marry the local doctor, if anyone.

Yep. When that marriage proposal happened, I was cheering. :)

8. auntiehill

^I was bawling like a schoolgirl! :lol:

9. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have not really watch this series properly, I'm board by the who killed Green story line and I did not find Mary's behavior towards Edith funny. And at this point I'm fed up with the poor Edith story line, I was so happy when she left Downton to start a new life in London and could have screamed when she moved back to Downton.

10. auntiehill

Board? The show actually turned you into wood? ;)

11. Timewalker

I can't stand Mary. She got interesting for awhile when she started learning about how to manage the business end of Downton, and I like her friendship with Tom. But otherwise she's a thoroughly nasty person, and I hope that some day Edith gets to throw every one of Mary's mistakes in her face to show that she has no leg to stand on when it comes to being judgmental.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I actually mostly watch Downton for the downstairs storylines and characters because, frankly, nearly all of the upstairs folks are either rather unsympathetic, unrelatable or occupied with really ridiculous problems and conundrums. I think that's not intentional which makes it even more amusing to me.

13. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I want to slap Mary. She's just a bitch. Am also getting tired of the constant sufferings of Edith and the Bates. Enough already. Let them be happy.

Love the Dowager and Isobel. Frustrated that Isobel elected not to marry due to bratty adult kids.

Not sure how good the show will be with Tom gone. I think it's nearing its end, although this season was quite good, and better than the one before it.

14. Allyn Gibson

This season forced me to wonder just what it was that Matthew ever saw in Mary. Thinking back, she mellowed a bit while they were married, but ever since Matthew died she's become an utterly horrible person.

Matthew Goode played Henry Talbot in the finale, and I kept thinking about him as Ozymandias from Watchmen. If Talbot is anything like Ozymandias, then he and Mary would be the perfect match -- they're both nasty, selfish narcissists.

Yup.

Edith should move to London so she can be hands-on with her publishing empire instead of trying to run it long-distance from Yorkshire.

At this point, I think the Bates should emigrate to the United States or Canada, and we never, ever see them again. I don't dislike them as characters or anything like that, but they've become so encrusted with the grime that Julian Fellowes has dumped on them that they're beyond salvaging.

If Isobel doesn't change her mind about marrying Lord Merton, I am going to be so unhappy. I didn't think much of Lord Merton for a long time, but he's now one of my favorite characters. He's just a nice guy, and he's as awkward with women as I am! :)

I've heard that Allan Leach will be back, that even though the finale wrote him out, Leach himself said he intended to be with the series until its end.

15. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

So do I. :scream: She's an annoying, arrogant narcissist. Seconded :), they deserve to be happy.

Glad that Mr. Carson asked Mrs. Hughes to marry him. About damn time :techman:! Also glad that she said yes :).

I think Mary was always like that. Any good that's in her seems to be drowned out by what she's truly like. When she was with Matthew she seemed to be able to suppress it. How long that would have lasted, who knows?

16. auntiehill

I am wondering if Tony & Mabel are somehow involved in the death of that asshat Mr. Greene. He died right after Mary ordered Tony to get rid of him. And the witness seemed to think that Greene said something to someone nearby, "What are YOU doing here?" The only thing they knew was that there was a short woman in the immediate area---Mabel is probably the smallest woman who has ever been on-screen, who also had a connection to Mr. Greene.

Could Tony be the one who pushed him, to make Mary happy, or did Mabel do it, to get back at Tony?

I have always hated Mary. She is unbelievably cold--even at Sophia's deathbed, Edith said, "In her memory, could we try to better friends and sisters?" and Mary replies, "Probably not."

At the end, I want Edith to be triumphant and I want Mary to be humbled and alone.

17. Allyn Gibson

You raise a plausible theory, and I could see that. But I hope not. Frankly, I don't want to hear Mr. Greene's name ever again, except as a throwaway line -- "Oh, by the way, Anna, Scotland Yard arrested someone else and she made a full confession."

Also, Mabel Lane Fox doesn't strike me as being that assertive to take action like that.

Mary has a lot of cold moments, and that was one of the coldest.

QFT.

I have this mad dream that there's a horrible accident and Robert, Mary, and George all die, leaving Edith in charge. (We're now into 1924, so at this point the inheritance laws were changed, so I believe she could actually inherit the estate and the title.)

My dream for Edith is that she moves back to London, meets Lord Peter Wimsey, and has a torrid romance with him, leading to marriage, happiness, and lots of crime solving. No, I was never a fan of Dorothy Sayers' Mary Sue, Harriet Vane. Edith would suit Peter much better. :)

18. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I could never Ship Mary/Matthew he was just too nice for her.
    I had such high hopes for Edith when Gregson turned up but that story line was wasted IMHO.
    I know Edith is not perfect, I remember the letter from series one but after everything that happened with Anthony and now Gregson I think its time Uncle Julian gave it a rest.
    Though I do wonder if Bertie Pelham is being lined up to take Tom's Job and Edith.
    But that would not be good for her either can you imagine having Mary as her husband's boss.
    Unless his distance cousin dies and he gets the castle in which case Mary would throw herself at him rather than have Edith queen of the castle.
    I'm going to shut up now I think I have given this show too much thought.:alienblush:

19. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

20. Timewalker

I don't remember if they showed or had a character state why Mary is such a bitch when it comes to having even the tiniest scrap of consideration or compassion for Edith.

But then Mary doesn't have much consideration for anyone. I'm thinking of when she badgered Anna into buying the birth control stuff for her; she never considered what might happen if Anna's husband were to find out (which he did, and he was none too happy, thinking that Anna didn't want kids).

If they haven't already, someone probably will, write a fanfic story in which Violet and Isobel decide to give up the search for the perfect man and just move in together. :D I've also seen some crossover stories with Doctor Who, since the actress who plays Isobel played "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" in several nuWho stories.