Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Yes, I previously constructed the area 2 years ago with the previous iteration of the Unreal Engine. However, there are many improvements I want to make to the models, so I'm starting from scratch.

And yes, I'll be adding all the TWOK additions, including the Dilithium Chamber Room and the rented computer console props from Modern Props.

I'll be doing the horizontal intermix shaft as it was intended in-universe, not as a forced perspective set. My previous build of the area was an in-universe representation as well.

2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Ah. (No offense meant!) I'd looked at the video of your previous rendition before I posted last, and it seemed far too short to me to be actual scale, esp. compared to Andrew Probert's cutaway:

[​IMG]

Your just-completed Torpedo Bay set would fit right over the intermix shaft!

But I freely admit I could have just perceived it wrong.

3. Donny

You are absolutely correct...my previous version does seem a bit short. One of reasons I'm rebuilding from scratch is that there are some severe scale issues with my previous build, the length of the intermix shaft being only one.

4. mattpiper

mattpiper Ensign Red Shirt

Anyway to get an overhead "layout" shot of the torpedo bay now that it's complete?

5. Donny

I don't have "Bay One" in place just yet. Do you want a shot of just "Bay 2"?

6. Donny

There ya go...
    [​IMG]PhotorpPlan

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm. Imperial cruiser Amar continuing to attack...

8. mattpiper

mattpiper Ensign Red Shirt

Awesome! That's perfect, even with one bay. Though you're welcome to post again once you have the other bay done too...

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Understood.

Here's a bit of a tangent in case you should revisit the torpedo bay... Tonight while watching the Macgyver pilot episode with my son tonight I noticed that the scene where they are in the gas lab they re-used the torpedo bay set (painted it white). They climb down from the upper level and then move to the torpedo loading hatch and crawl through it. It might be a good reference for scaling.

Looking forward to engineering! :)

10. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

That is so cool; thanks for pointing that out! I love stuff like that... It looks like they climb down into the set twice actually; earlier in the episode they descend a narrow ladder and you can see the distinctive floor grating pattern of the torpedo bay set below (a nice comparison with Donny's overhead view upthread).

And for those interested, the Blue Thunder helicopter makes an appearance earlier in the episode. Fun stuff!

Me too! :techman:

11. Nightowl1701

Here's the scene he's referring to, Donny: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ctmja_macgyver-s1-e01-pilot_fun (32:37-34:20)

12. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

You guys mean 23rd century engineers copied the layout from 20th century nuclear powerplants!?

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha ha, he exits through the torpedo launch door!

14. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Both Starfleet and the Klingons!

--Alex

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, does the shaft actually fit between the two torpedo bays?

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

When?

You get a down view from the upper level at 29:37

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The set looked prettty generic to me, but I think I saw what might have been the circle pattern floor covering like what is on the bridge set, but white(?). Hard to tell, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Is there documentation that this was a redress of the actual Trek set? I didn't see anything else that looked familiar.

18. Nightowl1701

If I've got it figured right, the vertical shaft would fit nicely right where that first notch is on the left side of Bay 2 (assuming a doubled-up design for Bay 1). The main turbolift shaft would fit in that second notch at the bottom, directly between the 'twin barrels.' Hence that additional wedge between the torpedo launcher and the top of the deflector dish, to allow the turbolift shaft into the secondary hull. (I wouldn't be surprised if the vertical shaft wasn't the original turbolift shaft pre-refit.)

[​IMG]

The structural bracing and armored walls in the Torpedo Bay must be some very strong stuff - Khan's gunners just barely missed punching through into the vertical intermix shaft.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  19. Donny

It's all moot anyway. Based on the measurements of the exterior of the torpedo section of the Enterprise, there's no way that two bays of the size depicted in TWOK could fit inside anyway, which is probably why Shane Johnson only depicted one bay in the first place. However, this conflicts with the signage that recommends that there are at least two bays (actually, four bays total).

Long ago, I decided that I'm making these projects out of pure joy, and it is not my aim to put to rest any long-lasting discrepancies in what was seen on-screen and what we know to be realistic. It's fiction, and should be treated within reason as such.

It also means making some artistic decisions along the way. Like how I'm ignoring the signage evidence of Torpedo Bays 3 and 4. And how I'm ignoring the fact that the drop-down emergency door seen in the TWOK Engineering set would be dropping down from the void of space...

20. Nightowl1701

A very wise decision, Donny. :techman: