Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

137th Gebirg is correct: it moves around in appropriate directions as people lose their balance and fall out of their seats.

[​IMG]

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Which is always why it felt (at least to me) like there was more going on here than just really superb choreography. :)

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Oh, right, it's like an artificial horizon and it rolls around a bit in a few shots. You can see it better here in this shot.

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work Donny!

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Today I constructed the two forward consoles seen on either side of the torpedo track. They are only visible in the short scene where the torpedo bay explodes after being hit by a Reliant phaser beam. In every other scene showing the forward end of the torpedo bay (in TWOK and TSFS), these consoles aren't visible due to their view being blocked by crewmen at attention. In this first shot, you can see that there are two.
    [​IMG]

In this second shot, you can see the console on the starboard side much better:
    [​IMG]

These consoles are obvious reuses of the gunnery stations on the Klingon K'tinga bridge from The Motion Picture:
    [​IMG]The stations were obviously repainted a more Starfleet-esque color scheme and were modified slightly, removing the side targeting scanners, handles, and the chairs were completely replaced.

Below, you see my renditions, and how I changed some graphics to make these consoles appear to be more in line with Starfleet standards of decorum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

That's amazing... I had no idea those consoles were even there! You unearth the most amazing things, Donny.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm rather emabarrassed. While I instantly recognized the Klingon "shock absorbers" being reused for the torpedo bay as soon as TWoK was released in 1982, I never realized just how much of that set was reused and barely "redressed". How I could not spot the "frame" around the torpedo hatch as being the Klingon main viewscreen, well, I'll never know!

I feel like I should pull my head into my collar in shame.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

wow. For all the times I watched TWOK I never saw the consoles nor the two crewmen. I suppose all of them died when Reliant's phaser hit that bay?

[​IMG]

9. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Ah, this looks awesome. I love those chairs. They were unquestionably a reuse of the Epsilon IX comm station chairs. :)

Is there any particular reason why the honeycomb grating on the floor panels doesn't look totally consistent Donny?
    Is it a camera thing or a map thing? I know myself, I've had tons of problems in the past getting maps like that to integrate well.

10. Donny

I didn't realize the chairs were part of the Epsilon IX station! I quickly checked screencaps to make sure my chairs adhered to what was seen in those scenes...looks like I did a good job, except I gave mine a hard-plastic look rather than a cushioned look. May go back and change that to match.

The honeycomb grating is difficult...in some references the grating holes look rather oblong, and I tried to mimic this with my texture map. That's probably why it looks inconsistent....I also tried to match the different directions the grating was pointing for each panel, just as it appears in screencaps...
    [​IMG]

11. Donny

Very happy with my finished torpedo model...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  12. kev11106

kev11106 Ensign Newbie

"O holy bomb..."

13. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"She's ready, Jim! Lock and load!"

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That last pic made me hear Horner music. More than usual....

15. Donny

Does the same to me. How I wish I had some animated character models to pull up the trench cover plates...

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Out of curiosity, do you plan on having a "feed hole" in the ceiling where other torpedo casings seem to descend out from the magazine (ostensibly located above the launch deck)?

17. Donny

Yes. It will be a simple circular opening with a sliding hatch door. I've been racking my brain on how to create an actual feed system, but for the life of me, I'm no engineer.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

If that's the same type of grating as they used on the bridge in these TMP screencaps:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0759.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd1731.jpg

...then it would seem that the distortion in the screencaps is a result of camera lenses/angles rather than a variation in materials used.

Also, I love, love, LOVE those renders with the torpedo on the track. Glad to know I wasn't the only one humming Horner. :D

19. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Beautiful work Donny.

:)Spockboy

20. Donny

Nah, it's not the same grating. The grating used in the torpedo bay is the same grating used on the Kligon bridge. The holes are not only hexagonal but they're larger as well.