Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really. In "The Making of Star Trek" book, GR talks about the laundry which he says the clothes are dematerialized, dirt removed and then rematerialzed. Maybe you should change the chute just to a cleaning compartment for clothing. I just can't see chutes all over the ship that go to some laundry room someplace.

2. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stuff like that probably was not demonstrated on screen due to budgetary costs.
    And starships, like naval ships, are criscrossed with tubes, chutes and pipes to carry air, water, power, waste; etc. etc.
    Adding one more to send dirty laundry to a laundry station doesn't seem to be such a big deal. Sure, technology is advanced, so maybe instead of tossing your dirty uniforms in a coin-operated washing machine, a computer-run station will beam off the dirt and sweat, and press & fold your outfits ready to put back in the drawer.

3. feek61

No question about it, you are right on. I'm just pointing out what GR said.

Jedman67 likes this.
  4. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Yay! I woke up to so much feedback and ideas a mere 7 hours after posting. I love the semi-collaborative nature this thread provides me.

1) The laundry "chute". My apologies, guys. I didn't mean for it to be a literal "chute", with a complex conveyance system made up of tubes inter-crossing decks, as I don't like that idea at all (I remember reading once or twice an explanation that food was delivered to the "food slots" onboard the TOS-E via a system of mini-turbolifts and thought that idea was atrocious). I meant the "chute" to be a place to deposit one's laundry, where it would then be beamed to the laundry processing center somewhere on the ship. I dunno how we feel about widespread intraship beaming in the TOS era either, since "Day of the Dove" establishes intra-ship beaming to be quite dangerous or little-tested during the TOS era. However, that was an instance without transporter machinery on the other end (Engineering) so maybe it's considered safe as long as a receiving-end transporter is being used.

However, I do like the idea of a small "future washing machine" of sorts instead of a "laundry chute", where clothes are placed inside and then are dematerialized/cleaned/rematerialized, as TMoST indicates as @feek61 noted above.

2) The shower. For the block-in, it's currently the same diameter as the sonic shower we see Ilia getting out of in TMP. And yes, @lawman, the half-cylinder you see here is just the exterior of the shower, but once modeled will be a full-cylinder inside. I may adjust the diameter of the shower unit to allow for more room once I get to modeling and seeing how well a human body would fit inside.

As of now, I’m leaning towards making it’s a hydro/sonic hybrid (implying this with a shower head and a control panel interface with an option labeled “sonic”). Also, aesthetic-wise, I’m imagining it with a radially rotating frosted glass door and it lit with a colorful TOS hue from inside.

3) Layout. @Lt. Washburn makes an interesting suggestion regarding maximizing space by moving the sink/mirror combo to the wall opposite of the commode to allow for an open-closet area to area beside the door. I'm in favor of exploring this idea, but my main concern is that moving the sink to the wall opposite of the toilet will greatly cramp that section of the bathroom, and I really can't extend the width of the bathroom anymore than the 6 feet I've already allotted. I will experiment this evening and see how the space feels with the sink moved to that wall.

4) Food Processor. Unrelated to the bathroom, but @Mytran brings up that we only see an in-cabin food processor in use in the Mirror Universe version of Kirk's cabin, and that use is theoretically restricted to beverages. While this is true, we do see that the food processor remains in subsequent Prime Universe appearances of the cabin. We never see it in use, but it is still unmistakably a food processor. Here are the examples:

In Kirk's cabin:
    [​IMG]

In Spock's cabin:
    [​IMG]

In Uhura's cabin:
    [​IMG]

In the guest quarters:
    [​IMG]

I've included it in my build as well, but thought that maybe it's only for VIP guests and senior officers. We see in "Obsession", Lt. Garrovick, a junior officer, does not get a safe in his quarters like the senior officers do, as they covered up the safe with a plain panel, This leads me to believe that a similar panel covers the area where a food processor would be installed on the other side.
    [​IMG]
    This also leads me to believe that if the producers/set designers of TOS didn't want a food processor to be present in the accommodations of Prime Universe senior officers, they would've covered the food processor with a panel in the several instances we see one, much like they did with Garrovick's safe.

Whether the food processor present in senior officer's quarters is limited to only beverages or light snacks rather than full meals is another topic of debate. Thoughts?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  5. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In “The Terratin Incident”, Spock says the uniforms are made from “algae-based xenylon”.

Praetor likes this.
  6. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I came up with an idea for hardwired transports a while back. item gets de-materialized, sent along "wires" or the 23rd century equivalent, then re-materializes on a the new pad. This avoids beaming through multiple walls and accidentally passing the beam through the warp core, or whatever makes intraship beaming dangerous.

About the layout I think you should include something next to the door for clothes, to reflect the deleted scene with Rand and the Uniforms. It shows producer intent even if it didn't air. You could also put the shower in the corner rather than centering it on the wall, maybe the toilet goes in that new open opposite corner.

Donny likes this.
  7. feek61

I agree with everything you said! :)

Donny likes this.
  8. Donny

I agree with the idea of intra-ship beaming from transporter to transporter (in cases such as our magic laundry chute, or to and from various cargo transporters aboard ship) involving the trasnportation of dematerialized matter along hard-wiring/optical data network rather than sending it across the ship via an invisible air wave.

John Sinclair likes this.
  9. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Donny - small detour from the present discussion on the crew quarters, but I was wondering something in relation to modeling the corridors. Are you considering taking a stab at the corridor set that we see only in Where No Man Has Gone Before, with the Y-junction at the one end?

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What would be harder about making a steak instead of an ice cream sundae?

feek61 likes this.
  11. Donny

I don't see "Y" not. ;)

Seriously though, I haven't given much thought to if I'm going to include sets from WNMHGB or The Cage that we don't see in TOS (Pike's Quarters, the round briefing room and "briefing lounge" sets). Ideally, I'd love to create alternate versions of the maps to feature the different versions of the TOS-E we see (The Cage, WNMHGB, Season 1, and Mirror Universe versions of my project) but that's a LOT of work and I'd just like to focus on my Season 2/3 version first and then perhaps tackle the other versions later.

This "Y-junction" section of corridor, however, seems like I can include that on any version of the ship, so I very well may!

Firebird likes this.
  12. Donny

You’re correct, assuming that the food processors all draw from the same raw material storage and not their own individual storage compartments. I was hypothesizing that there were “lite” versions of the food processor that used less energy and less material. Perhaps the mess halls contain the fully-fledged processors while the cabins and shuffle craft contained limited, lite versions? It’s all speculation, since there isn’t any canon evidence on how 2260s food processors actually worked, other than a mention in Voyager that they were not replicators in the 24th century sense.

13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From a military standpoint a "lite" food processor would dispense only water and rations, which makes sense on a shuttlecraft, but is exactly the opposite of what you would want in your quarters.

Donny likes this.
  14. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

And yet, this as well. The laundry "chute", the waste bin, and the other recycling are all part of a single unit with several doors, one for each process. Dirty clothes? In the laundry chute. Everything from used paper towels (McCoy used them to dry his hands after Tormolen's autopsy) to uneaten food to unwatered plants go in the recycle/compost drawer. Need to recycle shipping containers? There's a door for that too.

Donny likes this.
  15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would there really be one for every cabin though? It has to be more efficient to do this at a larger, more central location

16. Donny

Yeah, that's my only concern. I like all the conveniences Star Trek posits will be in the daily lives of a starship crew member, but TOS Trek, to me at least, shouldn't feel too convenient. I like things feeling a little more limited in TOS.

This is where I'm standing as of now:

Senior Officers Accommodations:
    Private Quarters
    -Sleeping Area w/ Revolving Vanity/Wardrobe/Storage
    -Work Area w/ Desk of choice
    -Bathroom with Hydro/Sonic Shower Combo
    -Food Processor
    -Safe
    -Laundry Processor
    -Recycling Receptacle

Junior Officers' Accommodations:
    Private Quarters
    -Sleeping Area w/ Revolving Vanity/Wardrobe/Storage
    -Work Area w/ standard desk
    -Bathroom with Hydro/Sonic Shower Combo
    -Food is obtained from Mess Hall
    -No safe
    -Laundry is brought weekly to Processing Center
    -Recycling Receptacle

Enlisted Crew (?) Accommodations:
    Shared Quarters
    -Sleeping Area (Bunks?) w/ lockers
    -Shared Work Area
    -Shared Bathroom with Hydro/Sonic Shower Combo
    -Food is obtained from Mess Hall
    -No safe
    -Laundry is brought weekly to Processing Center
    -Recycling is brought as needed to Processing Center

Basically, the higher in rank you get, the harder it is to resist staying in your quarters all day. ;)

17. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion, in concept there should be no differentiation between recycling a dirty shirt, making an old coat new again, or turning your waste back into steak. The only exception might be treatment of urine, wherein the water component might be removed first and then the remaining solids recycled.

18. feek61

Couldn't this be only one "chute?" Certainly the technology of the day could separate the different items sending them to the correct place. It would be crazy to have so many "chutes"

19. Donny

I'm thinking the same thing, the more I think about it. A single reclamation unit with a single slot/chute/hopper will suffice.

So, making a control panel for such a device: A button for "Recycle" and a button for "Launder"? Does that sound like it covers all the bases?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  20. Donny

Just did some post-TOS research. In TNG "The Cost of Living", Worf tells Alexander to put his clothes into the garment reprocessor. And in TNG "In Theory", Keiko talks about having to put Miles's pile of clothes into the cleaning processor. So, it would seem that at least in the TNG era, there is a separate reprocessor specifically for garments and/or the cleaning of items.

Hmm. Time to check my TNG Tech Manual to see what Sternbach and Okuda had to say about it!

Last edited: May 5, 2018