Donny's Late TNG Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 31, 2021.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles Patron Saint of Dangerous Driving Premium Member

^I couldn't remember which film(s) the displays did that in. And since you're not doing the Nemesis bridge, at least that's something you don't have to worry about. :p

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Commodore Commodore

This is awesome! :D :beer: It is an honor @Donny!

Donny likes this.
  3. batboy853

batboy853 Commander Red Shirt

Well the good news is with the red alert displays the swift animations are the same for each display. If memory serves that is.

Donny likes this.
  4. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! Thanks so much! My boy was very impressed.

Donny likes this.
  5. penguin44

penguin44 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Donny! Released on my birthday no less! What a great surprise to see my initials up there. I had totally forgotten.

6. danellis

danellis Commander Red Shirt

Are the graphics in Photoshop at any point? Could you not use a red adjustment layer? I bet it would be relatively simple to create a batch process.

dJE

7. cardinal biggles

It's not as simple as throwing a filter over it, though; the red alert versions of the displays have a totally different color palette (Donny and some of the other folks who are more knowledgeable than I could get more specific, but there's shades of red, white, some blue, and a sort of orangeish color in some screens) and some of the screens have different text (like "ALERT: CONDITION RED" or something similar).

Some examples: First Contact: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; Insurrection: 1, 2, 3, 4

8. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Yeah, @cardinal biggles is correct. Its not as simple as red shifting everything. Also, the side bars of most of the red alert screens change and animate themselves.

It’s not that it’s impossible or necessarily a HUGE time sink. It’s just that I’ve reached a point where my bridge motivation is at a low, after two months. I fear if I devote another week or two to make red alert screens, that motivation will die completely and, like what happened with my Enterprise-A bridge, i will end up leaving the bridge unfinished as a whole. I actually couldn't even muster the motivation the last two nights to work on the remaining details I have left, which is a bad sign for me. I'm sure you guys have seen what's happened historically when I've reached a point of low motivation over a given area...I tend to shift gears completely (Enterprise-A bridge, K't'inga bridge, Ds9 BoP bridge, TMP cargo bay, anyone?)

I’d rather go ahead and finish the few details I have left, take final renders and video, and then at a later date circle back around and do red alert screens. Probably when I tackle engineering, or the Evacuation Corridor, which will need proper red alert screens. Then, I can at least get the colors down, the animations required, and filter that down to the screens I already have generated.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  9. cardinal biggles

*forehead slap* I can't believe I forgot the most important part! I remember being utterly fascinated by the animated red alert screens introduced over the 1994-95 season, first on the Defiant, then in Generations, and finally Voyager. I even dabbled with animation by trying to recreate the sidebars in HyperCard on my Mac Classic II, using various B&W patterns in lieu of colors. It was crude as hell, but I was so proud of myself. :p

SolarisOne, danellis and Donny like this.
  10. danellis

danellis Commander Red Shirt

Figured it was too simple an idea to fly, but worth mentioning just in case :)

dJE

11. Donny

So, something arrived in the mail today:
    [​IMG]
    Now i can steer the Enterprise-E from my very own home!

All kidding aside, I went ahead an ordered a Gravis Blackhawk for cheap online so I could have one here for reference when I model it this weekend. But it has the added bonus of providing me a cosplay prop if I ever do a shaved Riker from that film at a future convention ;)
    [​IMG]

12. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Commander Red Shirt

That's the coolest stupid thing you could do. I both hate and love that you've done this.

13. cardinal biggles

I really have to respect your dedication to your art. If you ever find a Ergoform workseat, I will be truly jealous.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  14. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Sweet reference Donny!

Nice guitars on your wall. Is that a Gibson Les Paul?

Donny, thank you for the honor. It is truly awesome to be incorporated in your work like this.

ETA additional quote & response.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  15. Donny

Nah, I can’t responsibly plop down the cash for a Gibson. Both of the guitars on the wall are Epiphones!

Firebird, Jesse1066 and Workbee like this.
  16. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Commodore Commodore

LOL, that's awesome find on the joystick. Huh. Looking at the buttons on the stick it could work for flight control. The stick has the pitch and roll axis and we could pretend it can rotate for yaw axis. The hat switch could be lateral translation (forward/reverse/left/right) and the two buttons on the side of the thumb could be up and down (you just couldn't do combos of translation at the same time with just the thumb). :whistle::biggrin:

17. Donny

The 1990s joystick now in my possession definitely does not feature Z axis rotation; let’s hope the 2370s stick does. ;)

blssdwlf likes this.
  18. Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had that very same joystick back in the late 90s and I instantly recognized it when it (literally) popped up in Insurrection. :lol: Many good times were had with it playing MS Flight Simulator 98 and StarLancer.

BK613 and Donny like this.
  19. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clearly I don't know the price of guitars. But you own a set of monster maroons AND the field jacket! :)

20. Donny

You got me there.

Workbee likes this.