Donny’s Late TOS Movie Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. I do love what you're doing with this. While I'd have loved to see them do a bit more with the TNG sets to make them more like the TMP to TVH sets, this works oh so well as a nice stop gap. It does feel like it's an older ship as well.

If you are looking to do something with the LCARS TNG panels on the walls, you could have it so it only sports the older LCARS when someone's walking by the panel or interacts with it. I don't remember them being active all the time on Next Gen either so that'd make sense.

If we go by MSGTTE only the saucer decks had specific colors to the padding and the secondary hull was just the metal panels regular silver color.

2. Robert Simmons

Robert Simmons Commander Red Shirt

Out There Joy Riding a console hopping galaxies
  3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could be colored by division. So they might not tell you you're on deck 8, but they can tell you you're in the medical area (green).

Gepard likes this.
  4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

According to MSG, the following decks were color-coded: D/4 (brown), E/5 (red), F/6 (silver), G/7 (white), H/8 (light blue), and I/9 (yellow). Of these, we saw at least some bit of corridor on three decks: 5 (Kirk's and Ilia's quarters), 7 (outside the transporter room), and 8 (the docking port where Spock exits for his trip through V'Ger). Deck 5 is the no-brainer, seen just after Decker "speaks freely" and when the Ilia-probe materializes in the sonic shower. Deck 7 looks more like an affect of very bright lighting than the metal panels being painted white or covered with a white material. Deck 8 doesn't look light blue at all.

That's what they have all those fancy department logos for. ;)

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I'm not too crazy about doing different colors for different decks. It would introduce an almost garish quality to the corridors. And, like cardinal biggles just pointed out, MSGTTE was probably conjecturing, given shoddy on-screen evidence and the fact that colored corridor panels disappeared after TMP anyway.

Also, there are giant "Deck XX" signs all over the corridors in TUC.

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not garish, but pastel shades of 1970s awesomeness! ;-)

Donny and ashleytinger like this.
  7. Donny

Nicholas Meyer was not a fan of Pastel Trek

Uxi, RedForman and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  8. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Awesome work Donny. Love seeing you in action! :D

9. Donny

(Forgive me. It was late last night when I posted these, and accidentally posted them in my other thread)
    Finished up the string of corridors as was built on Stage 9, including areas not seen in TUC. Also added the ever-present grate lighting accents, fire extinguishers, and intercom speakers which almost every set of the Enteprise-A contained.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uxi, J. Frank Doobie, JonVP and 9 others like this.
  10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be very cool. I have to think that the shuttlebay was the same size as in TMP, but some kind of doors or retractable walls were in place at the time in TFF.

11. JJohnson

I might've missed this, but what is MSG and MSGTTE ?

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

13. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally I think the colour coded deck corridors would have gone out of fashion by TWOK as the couple of decks we see during that movie and TSFS are all the same colour.

I can believe that the corridors on the Grissom were still colour coded though.

14. JJohnson

I should've remembered that! That was one of my favorite books growing up. I loved reading and re-reading that over and over again, imagining all the parts of the ship we never saw on screen.

I hope this project goes through the whole deck some day using the deck plans we've seen online for the refit Enterprise. Man, that would be amazing. That's something I keep wishing would happen.

15. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think for alot of us that book was like the bible for the refitted 1701, here is my very well read copy

[​IMG]
    Still keep it on my shelf, I should probably try and find a copy in better condition!

Bernard Guignard likes this.
  16. trekfan39

trekfan39 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Donny I've been coming on the TrekBBS for years but just joined a mouth back and I just wanted to say you do awesome work I've always enjoyed looking at all the CGI interiors you've done over the years, please keep them coming. One thing though aren't the E-As corridor doors orange in Star Trek 6?

17. trekfan39

trekfan39 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Forget it Donny I just went back and read your first post again and just so you know I do think the doors look better in red.

18. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I like this project. I have some thoughts. It would be cool to see Kirk's quarters with the office part open again. The corridors could have those baseboard grates in place. Maybe replace the half covered lower light panels with full light panels. Also, in engineering...I really liked those curved glass partitions from TNG's The Naked Now. But that's kind of beside the point of this thread. :)

19. Donny

Started working on the Transporter Room. First, I'm going to construct it as was seen in the film, and then make modifications from there. Finished the transport chamber tonight.

[​IMG]Enterprise A - Transporter Room

If I'm going to change anything about this set to make it a more "idealized" version of the Enterprise-A interiors, it's the yellow back-lit panels, which scream TNG to me. I think I'll keep the rest of the room the same, and I can't wait to build the enclosed glass around the console as seen in TFF and TUC.

20. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's very TNG. You could go with something more like the TMP look.

I always thought the screen was a bit of an odd addition, since they didn't need one in TOS or TNG. Maybe it's a HUD type thing, scanning the people being materialised?