Does the Dominion control any of the areas visited by the Protostar under Dal?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by Garak234, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Garak234

Garak234 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. There are those who say that the Dominion controlled the Idran sector despite the Dominion not appearing in early DS9 could the same here (I don't subscribe to that theory my headcanon is that those were independent from the Dominion at time of first contact but were conquered by the Dominion as part of constant Dominion expansion beginning from it's start and continuing to the present and stopped in the AQ). If the Dominion is watching the area where the first part of Prodigy takes place then what would be the best in universe reason why the Dominion doesn't appear in season 1 to dispose of Starfleet vessel and take it's tech? And could the Diviners civilization at it's height have resisted the Dominion?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't.

And likewise, I'd say they probably don't control the are of space in the Gamma Quadrant the Protostar has arrived in.

WarpTenLizard and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  3. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

The Idran sector was not part of Dominion space.
    Their 'borders' were quite some distance away.

In the first two years of the wormhole opening in DS9 'Emissary', the Alpha Quadrant species sent expedition vessels to the Gamma Quadrant.
    The Dominion didn't like this, so they ended up sending founders to infiltrate the AQ and gather information almost immediately... they simultanously attacked New Bajor, capturing and destroying ships (and captured people) from the AQ side who were in the Gamma Quadrant in those first 2 years ( THIS is how the Dominion managed to modify their weapons so they would be effective against Federation and other AQ species shields... and then the Federation did the same before the War broke out by capturing a Jem'Hadaar fighter - SF analyzed it, and adapted its shields and weapons... but the Defiant was already capable of blocking out Dominion weapons - seems like because it was designed to fight Borg ships, it had more adaptive and powerful shields to begin with).

At any rate, Dominion space may be relatively large, however, I always surmised it was SMALLER than the UFP (especially with Weyoun's comment about what kind of resources it would take to control something as 'vast' as the Federation).
    On top of that, the Dominion is a hostile power that spreads via fear, subterfuge and violence. They are more likely to encounter resistance when trying to increase their overall sphere of control... which is probably why they could be smaller than the UFP even after existing for 1800 years before the UFP was founded.

UFP's approach is fundamentally different... and while some species are wary of this and others will hate the UFP for it... on average, it was discovered that majority seems to LIKE openess, sharing, freedom, equality, etc... hence why it has accumulated over 150 member species across 200 years of its existence (and then doubled it by the 31st century - which would indicate the UFP's expansion was slowed down... but size wise, it could have encompassed a LOT of the Milky Way Galaxy... not just 16 000 Ly's for example, or doble of previous estimates. - If the Romulans joined UFP, their former space would then become part of the Federation for example... that's a sizeable chunk from just 1 species... then there are the Cardassians... potentially the Klingons [of whom we hadn't even heard of by the 31st century], etc.).

Also, while Dominion's location in the Gamma Quadrant was unspecified, some maps were drawn by show devs if I'm not mistaken and they placed the Dominion in the upper left section of the Gamma Quadrant (when viewing the Milky Way from the top of a 2D map)... and it was nowhere near the Gamma/Delta border.
    Similarly the Gamma Quadrant Wormhole exit was somewhere around the middle of the Gamma quadrant (maybe towards the gamma delta border - but not near it).

The Protostar jumped from Tars Lamora (which was specified by the show writers to be near the border of the Delta and Beta Quadrant) and ended up at the Gamma/Delta border 4000 Ly's away (but was still in the Delta Quadrant).

So, no, from what we know, the Dominion was nowhere near that part of space... unless they experienced a sudden and massive increase in their overall size, but I doubt this would have happened in such a short period of time.

Nothing however says the Dominion never VISITED that portion of the galaxy... but their Warp engines are nothing special (not really faster than UFP... in fact some are slower than UFP ships), so, I don't think the Dominion would particularly be interested in that section of the galaxy... unless something peaked their interests.

As for the Diviner species resisting the Dominion at their height... I have no idea.
    We also don't know if they even ENCOUNTERED the Dominion or where the Diviner's home world is.
    But to be fair, the Diviner and his technology seem unremarkable... the very fact he needs the Protostar to use it as a 'salvation' of his species to me says they are not as technologically advanced as the UFP nor would they have the resources to resist the Dominion.

The REV-12 is big and suggest a powerful ship... but ANYONE can make a larger and bulky ship and stuff it with plenty of reactors to overpower it (The Scimitar comes to mind - it also depends on how you DESIGN such a craft)... the trick is creating a small ship which has comparable or slightly less overall power... but it would be ridiculously efficient as a result (this is where UFP excells as - making a big thing in a small package... and the fact the UFP was able to develop the Proto-core, suggest a level of technology the Diviner species simply doesn't have and couldn't develop).

It also depends on what kind of calamity befell his species... and could he really use the Proto core to do what he wants it to do?
    If its time travel (which is a possibility), then it would fit more or less because the UFP is already embarking on a way towards having mastery of time travel in this era (and we know they achieved it by the 26th century at the latest... but it could have happened earlier because Time Travel already happened for UFP on numerous occasions by the 24th century... its just that at this time they may be developing technologies that would directly set them on that path - and the Proto core could have also been part of that intiia setup).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Protostar gets anywhere near Dominion space, the ship is toast.

Since they're still alive, I'm guessing they haven't done that. :lol:

5. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

I've seen a few maps that have tried to figure out the Star Trek galaxy from the information we've been given, and according to them the Milky Way is so massive that most interstellar empires are basically just dots on it. The Protostar could go randomly flying around the Gamma Quadrant for decades and never run into the Dominion.

Sci likes this.
  6. Deks

Why would the Protostar be toast if it got anywhere near Dominion space?
    The Protostar is highly advanced experimental ship and seems to have more than adequate defenses and weapons onboard. Plus it survived a dying star, so I don't think it would have been an easy target for the Dominion if you ask me.

The kids have been receiving training from Janeway anyway and have matured quite a bit in a short amount of time. Given their recent plan execution and going back to Tars Lamora, they are far more capable and in control of the Protostar than they were since first setting foot on the ship.

Granted, if they encountered the Dominion immediately after jumping away from Tars Lamora... then I might have to agree they could have been overpowered easily... however, these kids also managed to outwit the Diviner and escape Tars Lamora while barely operating the ship as is.

Also, encountering the Dominion would have been a long shot anyway. The Dominion is nowhere near the Gamma/Delta or Gamma/Alpha border... and the Protostar jumped across the Delta/Beta border and onto the Delta/Gamma border (but still on the Delta side).

So... no real danger of encountering the Dominion

7. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

There is a map from Voyager's seventh season of the Milky Way Galaxy. It shows the location of the Bajoran wormhole's terminus in the Gamma Quadrant.

map_voyroute.jpg (1000×750) (stdimension.org)

If the Protostar started its voyage near the border between Beta and Gamma Quadrants, and assuming it went in a straight line, it would have ended up tens of thousands of light years from Dominion space. This inference is based on the map mentioned above.

Sci likes this.
  8. Deks

I forgot about that map.

But, pretty much my conclusion as well.

Only this pushes my previous thinking of the location of Bajor's wormhole Gamma terminus to much further away where I thought it was. This map places it firmly at the upper left top end section of the Gamma Quadrant of the Galaxy. That's quite some distance away.

The Dominion space we know to be away from the Wormhole, but which direction? Towards Gamma/Alpha border?
    If not, and if Dominion space is actually further in the top end of that map... well, that just pushes its size to even smaller proportions - depending on which direction Dominion expanded.

9. Ray Hardgrit

I'm not sure they've ever said how big the Dominion is, but I feel like it'd have enough space whatever side of the wormhole it is.

Even if you pick a relatively big number and say that Dominion space is so massive that it'd take a year to cross for a reasonably quick ship (so it'd be a whole season arc for Voyager), you could still fit four Dominions into each of the smallest boxes on that map.

10. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why? By this point we've had a peace treaty with them for years.

11. Deks

Yes, but if the Protostar accidentally jumped into Dominion space, who knows how would they react to this sudden appearance of a Federation ship that seemingly violated their borders - although Odo has been in the Great Link for a while to this point, so we don't know what kind of changes may have ensued (if any).

Though, if a Federation ship was just outside Dominion space... they probably wouldn't react.
    I still maitain the idea Dominion is smaller than the Federation (in terms of how much of the Gamma Quadrant they occupy)... so, Protostar's relatively small jump of just 4000 Ly's wouldn't have rattled the Dominion at all even if the ship ended up in the Gamma Quadrant.

The Dominion is unlikely to be anywhere close to the Gamma/Delta border or the Galactic core given the fact they used force and intimidation to spread their sphere of influence (which would in all likelihood slow down their expansion and how slow Warp drive can be - then there's a whole lot of resources they need to commit to just maintaining order).

12. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    This should help

13. dupersuper

I like that map in general, but I still maintain Earth is not on the Alpha/Beta border. It'd also be nice if the start point for Voyager's trip back and the Gamma side of the Bajoran wormhole were farther apart to make sure the Voyager crew don't look like idiots.

14. Ray Hardgrit

I don't know if that map's from anything official, but if it is then the Founder's homeworld is about 10 years away from the wormhole and the nearest border of Klingon space is 3 years away from Earth. At Voyager speeds.

15. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Earth is on the Alpha/Beta border, it's our Sun/Star AKA "Sol" that is on the border.

We just revolve around it =P

16. Deks

You DO realize it would have taken the VOY crew decades to reach the Bajoran wormhole in the Gamma Quadrant, right?
    Probably a very similar amount of time it would have taken them to get to Earth.
    And even then, there was no guarantee the Wormhole would still be there.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  17. Ray Hardgrit

I wish DS9 had put the location of the wormhole on screen one time just so we knew where it actually comes out. Star Trek needs more maps in general!

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus I'm sure the Jem'Hadar would be very keen on getting ahold of a ship with that kind of advanced technology.

And we've all seen how the Dominion treats their prisoners... :(

19. dupersuper

But on that map it looks closer than Federation space, and doesn't have the Romulan Empire in the way.

20. Ray Hardgrit

On that map the Romulan Empire isn't in the way.

(Also it's a bad map).