Does it get better?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by gakelly, Mar 10, 2021.

1. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Vast improvement over DSCO's first season that Picard's opening season and DSCO S3 are, they are hamstrung somewhat by the 10 to 13 episode formula, much more standard in this post 2012 streaming era.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doing something new and different is not disrespecting the past.

But of course, no one hates things that are new and different quite as much as fans of a show about astronauts who look for things that are new and different.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I liked this post, then unliked it just so I could give it a like again.

SolarisOne and Sci like this.
  4. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I have seen a small mounting criticism of Prodigy because none of the aliens are recognizable species and all I ever think is
    "Starfleet was founded to seek out new life: well, there it sits!"

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just don't like the design. I don't care about whether they are aliens or not.

6. TimeIsAPredator

Wow its only 3 seasons in and it looks like the Disco fanatics are already going all #NOTREALTREK on any new Trek coming out :lol:

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't know what this is about, but knock it off.

8. TimeIsAPredator

Its just a joke about how every time new Trek comes along some fans of old Trek instantly hate it.
    Not every post online comes from a place of hate or malice

SITZKRIEG! likes this.
  9. The Old Mixer

Then perhaps you shouldn't have directed it at a specific poster, who wasn't saying anything about Disco.

dupersuper and TimeIsAPredator like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If Michael Bay ever takes over Star Trek, I'm instantly hating it. ;) :devil:

Fortunately, since Star Trek was never an '80s cartoon, I think it's safe. But let's get serious now...

One of the things I like about Picard, at least the first season, is that I think it gave the TNG Movies a proper closure. Except for First Contact, I didn't think the TNG Movies were that great, but Nemesis was (at the time) a conclusion to 15 years of the 24th Century and the note it ended on, which wasn't the note they intended to leave off on, was a horrible place to leave it.

And now, not only do I think the 24th Century has had its epilogue, it brought a new series with it to usher in the 25th. Win-win. I like all the characters. I like the non-Starfleet setting where they're looking at Starfleet with a more critical, outsider eye.

Rios turned out to be a deeper and better character than I thought he'd be. I love what they've done with the Rios holograms, as I think it evolves the concept started by The Doctor, Moriarty, and Vic Fontaine.

Musiker reminds me of people I know IRL. And, yes, I would be pissed at Picard too. And I'd also be depressed about family who didn't believe in me.

I'm grateful that Seven wasn't "assimilated" into Earth's culture. Looks like she found herself after getting back to the Alpha Quadrant. And while the expectation might've been that she would end up joining Starfleet, I think the Fenris Rangers are a better fit.

Elnor has a naivete that the older, more hardened, more experienced characters lack. It'll be interesting to see how someone who was raised by nuns continues to adjust.

Jurati is the only one I might possibly have issue with, but only because of the writing in a certain episode. Ignoring that, she's fine, and with a series dealing so much with AI, you need the techie. And she has a quirkiness, but it's a toned down, different version from Tilly's on Discovery.

Last but not least, Soji. Her entire life turned out to be a lie and she's pretty much starting over again from scratch. She's probably going to be the character who explores Humanity, like Data. So, in a way, she's like a more stable version of Lal.

So, yeah. Back to the original topic. I don't think it "gets better". I think it stays just as good.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  11. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

Would it have been problematic if they had incorporated one or preferably two existing races from Trek canon to ground the show more into the 50+ year history of the IP? I want them to showcase new life and new civilizations but I don't want them to COMPLETELY abandon doing so from a relatable perspective. Please note that doesn't automatically mean human or even "alien of the week with just a 50 cent piece of latex forehead bump" race. We're talking about an animated series that isn't restrained creatively or financially like a live action one that depends on costly practical or more likely digital effects to show an exotic alien race. Even in TAS in the 1970's, they supplemented the expected mostly human returning crew with an Edosian and a Caitian. Why not include a Horta this time around for example? It's a couple centuries since they were first encountered and old 80's trek novels even had a Horta crewman on the Enterprise IIRC from my childhood reading. Or the race whose name escapes me from DS9 that is adapted to low gravity only?

Contrary to what is advocated so vociferously on trekbbs, the progress in trek doesn't have to be binary. You can grow and evolve the IP without abandoning what came before just for the sake of it.

12. The Old Mixer

Are we not counting the guy who's obviously a Talaxian? Oh noes, he has a BIG TOOTH!

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  13. SITZKRIEG!

Obviously?...

[​IMG]

I never would have guessed that was a Talaxian. Is that confirmed and, if so, can you provide a link to where? Also, I was quote responding to an earlier post. I'm curious as to why you didn't sarcastically object to that post's characterization that "none of the aliens are recognizable species"? Also, I have no problem with sarcasm but you just mod warned someone a few posts above for pretty much the same thing you did here which isn't particularly consistent of you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  14. TimeIsAPredator

Sorry I said anything.

It's one poster lads. Jeysus at least wait till we have seen an episode

15. TimeIsAPredator

It left me with nothing like the kind of nice feeling of closure I got from TUC

Lord Garth likes this.
  16. The Old Mixer

I was addressing the topic of "no recognizable species" in general, not addressing you specifically. And therein lies the difference.

Let me do the modding, thank you.

17. fireproof78

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it is binary so much as a matter of emphasis. And, Trek has not exactly established a consistent history of exploring past species in new show without also including new species for the sake of it.
    So, impressions based upon marketing materials are not allowed? I'm all for waiting and seeing, but as I am repeatedly told, people are going to speculate and comment on their first impressions. The first impression for me is entirely flat.

SITZKRIEG! likes this.
  18. TimeIsAPredator

Despite my joking I don't think you are one of these people but I have seen the Doomcock types already queuing up with their way over the top attacks on what is one poster in an attempt to tear down any new Trek

19. fireproof78

Well, at least there is consistency.

TimeIsAPredator likes this.
  20. SITZKRIEG!

I think it's completely valid to form a first impression based on initial marketing materials. That impression should be updated as new information comes in like teaser and full trailers but the whole point of releasing those preview pics is to drum up enthusiasm and/or gauge the fan reaction. If they weren't expecting a reaction (positive or not), they wouldn't spend the time and money making them. It's the reason they exist.