Does canon really matter?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Spot261, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

...Commander and a Klingon Captain! ;)

Spot261 and Jax like this.
  2. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

With so many time travel stories, might as well just shrug and say "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" at any continuity errors.

Kor and Spot261 like this.
  3. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Where is all this time travel crap coming from? I've seen nothing about time travel in either trailer or any interviews.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Time travel generally - Trek's done a lot of it, history won't be immune to alteration - I think is the angle.

Spot261 likes this.
  5. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Generally speaking, a stand alone time travel episode on Trek can be fun, but not when it's the point of the whole show, or it's entire season. It doesn't look like they'll use it in this series, at least not from what we've seen. And if they do, hopefully it'll just be one of those once-in-while thingies like an episode of the alternate universe or something.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

They won't have time to time travel. :lol: They'll be too busy telling a dramatic novel length story.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit, this thread spawned itself into an entity quickly enough. In answer to the OP, no canon does not matter one damn bit.

Vger23, BillJ, Michael and 2 others like this.
  8. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the point is not so much that they'll do time travel in DSC so much as the trek universe is already so hopelessly riddled with paradoxes and inconsistencies caused by time travel, not to mention different universes and timelines, that a great deal of leeway can be allowed on those grounds alone

9. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Yes, this. I don't think the show will feature time travel, or explain itself through time travel explicitly. But I do think that it is quite easy to imagine that the 23rd century looks pretty different than it did when we first saw it given all the timey wimey stuff that's happened since. If such a thought makes the show more palatable.

10. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

When it comes to dates of when fictional events allegedly took place they can piss off all the fans anytime they want as long as it tells a good story. Legend says this is why GR used stardates and not tie ins to the Western calender to avoid fan looking for X event to happen in X date. (Vulcans are due to arrive in 46 years, a lot of us might still be alive to not see it). We need to stop viewing Star Trek as the fictional future and past of our real history and accept as the future and past of some alternative Earth in a parallel universe.

11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Batman and Superman - two white dudes running around wearing tights for over 80 years...no end in sight.

BillJ likes this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, possibly the future in the Fallout universe ;)

It would explain a lot.

13. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but I think it's just as easy not to mention the year of the Eugenics wars at all.

First Contact Day is/will be my wife's 99th birthday.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  14. Anglachel

Anglachel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That never bothered me because I recognize that this is a TV show. There's no contradiction because this isn't real. As long as they don't contradict themselves. But that's a lot to ask.

15. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

No, canon doesn't really matter. When you have a universe where everyone is constantly bending/warping spacetime, it's bound to create completely varied experiences from different perspectives. That would actually be a very interesting plot device to explore - how different experiences of time affect people, how the civilization deals with it. Alas, there's zero chance of this being explored.

16. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was more of a TOS/TNG thing. DS9 consistently depicted manual control as a fallback. Possible but never desirable. Though, I might be forgetting whole swaths of Voyager, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Which makes sense, as up until the mid 90's, computers existed almost solely for record keeping or number crunching. Not decision making. Only in the last 10 years has fuzzy logic, statistical models and machine learning progressed to the point of demonstrating consistently better...well...consistency than humans. We now regularly trust computer systems we don't understand to guide us and regulate entire systems that we're also unaware of.

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How would you explore it? I mean VOY did some pretty decent time travel stories, as did DS9 with "Children of Time" and the Prophets.

What would you like to explore more of?