Does anyone else dislike Keiko O'brien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Gul Bones, May 23, 2012.

1. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Horrible woman, the Chief deserved better (but not hotter).

She was completely in her element when she was possessed by the Pahwraith and had Miles perform all manner of dodgy things across the station.

2. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Keiko is the worst fucking character in the Star Trek universe. The bitch should have been killed off in the first TNG ep she appeared in

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice...

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, the thing about that episode that amused me the most was O'brien grinning when she said she wasn't Keiko, like he was gonna get in some roleplay foreplay! :lol:

5. TrixieVanSickle

TrixieVanSickle Ensign Red Shirt

Keiko was haughty and selfish. I think she worked as a character on TNG but on DS9 she was a pain in the ass. She seemed to not realize that by marrying a Starfleet officer, you married Starfleet, good or bad, for better or worse. Not realizing that Starfleet didn't always include the plush accommodations of the Enterprise D. She was naggy and unpleasant.

There was a reason O'Brien drank in Quark's as much as he did.

6. DonIago

If folks are going to attack the character it would be nice if they'd cite actual episodes instead of just making broad allegations.

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

We cited examples throughout--particularly on the first page. You...might want to check that out. ;)

But I'll be generous, here, and give some materials to chew on:

As far back as "A Man Alone," we see Keiko whining about the station--and then storms off, saying, "I don't want to talk about this anymore!"

In "Hippocratic Oath," O'Brien notes how deffensive Keiko is getting over the workshop--spinning some poppycock about a "subconcious desire" to push her out of the quarters.

And then, "Fascination," when Keiko, again, gets way too defensive just because O'Brien's dissapointed about having to spend only one day with her before she goes out on another expedition.

In "Body Parts", she goes on a Gamma Quadeant expedition--when she's pregnant!--and O'Brien notes how she'd also wanted to go kayaking...as though the health and well-being of her baby didn't matter to her!

And, again...when Kira's in labor, and the O'Briens are doing the ritual--Keiko smacks Miles, for missing a beat! As I'd said in the beginning of this thread--had it been the other way around, there'd have been no question about how rotten Miles's behavior was towards his wife.

Need I go on?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  8. Gul Bones

Gul Bones Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think as well, if you asked most guys the type of woman they would hope to avoid getting pregnant or getting married to it would be Keiko. She has far more unlikable attributes than likable ones. It seems Miles is on constant damage limitation mode with her trying to avoid upsetting her.

I almost get the feeling he was intimidated by her and it was pretty clear who wore the trousers in their relationship. Not to be blunt but by most people's standards Keiko would be classed as a b****.

9. Rush Limborg

Agreed. While the episode where she helped save his and Julian's life was a great moment for her--sadly, it was the exception, not the rule.

10. DonIago

FWIW, I was mostly referring to the recent batch of posters who seemed to have little to do besides smile and nod and say, "Yeah, Keiko's a total b@tch!"

Anyway it strikes me as totally realistic that she could have agreed to the move to DS9 because, even despite whatever reports she received regarding the condition of the station, she either wasn't as prepared as she thought she'd be or over time it wore her down more than she expected. At least she had the sense to get off the station when things got too hard for her, rather than sticking around and making things even worse.

In any case, from a writing standpoint it wouldn't make much sense for us to see her in episodes where everything between her and Miles was perfect all the time, just as on forums people are less prone to start threads when everything's going well than they are when there are things that they take issue with.

11. Rush Limborg

^And yet, the writers showed Kira and Odo, or Sisko and Kassidy, or Worf and Jadzia--wherin things were , for the most part, perfectly fine. No problem there....

12. TrixieVanSickle

Even when things weren't fine between the other couples, the men never had to walk on eggshells and be afraid to say "boo" to their spouses. Look at Worf and Jadzia. They had major issues throughout their relationship, but Jadzia never became a haughty bitch because of it.

I think Keiko and Miles would have been a perfect couple to show what divorce is like in the 24th Century. Seriously. Not all marriages work out and having them divorce would have been a great subplot for DS9.

13. DonIago

I seem to remember Jadzia becoming a "haughty bitch" in "You are Cordially Invited"...at least until Sisko took her down a few pegs.

14. R. Star

Bridezilla or just another example of inconsistency for her? :P

15. Gul Bones

Gul Bones Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Jadzia had her moments, Keiko seemed to have a moment... well every moment. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit but that's what it felt like apart from one or two nice moments.

Moment.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Miles liked being treated like that, that's why when she left the Station, they had to up the number of "Torture O'Brien" episodes, so he didn't miss her much :devil:

17. DonIago

It may be the case to some degree that that was the type of relationship Miles wanted. Not just what we saw, but what we presumably didn't see.

Lord knows I've seen people I know in relationships and thought more than once, "Why are you doing that to yourself?" while they seem perfectly content.

18. Rush Limborg

Precisely. Sisko gave her some tough love--and that made her back down.

Such never happened with Keiko--at least, not that I recall.

19. R. Star

I dunno, it's hard to say. Keiko certainly complained a LOT, but despite all the complaining she did usually seem to go along with what O'brien wanted.

20. TrixieVanSickle

Every woman has her moments when planning a wedding. And Jadzia's behavior during the wedding planning was really a symptom of her being a joined species. She was still thinking like Curzon when it came to Klingons and was used being treated with the respect that Curzon had earned. She wasn't used to being treated like her honor was unproven, which is why she had so much trouble with Sirella. Sirella didn't know or care about Curzon's history, only Jadzia's so that was a bit of a swerve. Plus she was marrying an alien.

Keiko didn't have the excuse of being a joined species with 7 lifetimes of memories. Nor was she marrying an alien, leading to culture clashes. She was a human married to a human. And she was a haughty bitch. :guffaw: