Doctor Who – 4x12 – The Stolen Earth (Grade/Discuss)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Servo, Jun 28, 2008.

?

Grade The Stolen Earth

1. Fantastic!

77.7%
  2. Above Average

15.5%
  3. Average

5.5%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, what impresses me is that the various ex-Companions and spin-off characters have fit into the story quite nicely. That said, I'm going to hold off trying to rate this episode until I see the next one.

2. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

I'm kind of curious about what they're going to do with the Doc's regeneration, and how they'll explain it.

Spoiler

When he saw Rose he was running to greet her, then was shot by a Dalek, which caused him to die. They brought him back to the Tardis to regenerate, and when he was releasing energy, they ended the episode there.

BUT

In an ad for next week they show him as the same Doctor.

So I'm wondering what gives, and how they'll explain it.

My best guess is that they may pass it off as him being the Last Doctor, somehow.

3. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Oooh, I forgot to mention that. I have no idea what the Shadow thing means but I really liked how he went to some central agency, full of beings in the know, and got some answers. It made the Universe bigger some how.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

K-9 is not dumb!!!!!;)

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked seeing the Rhino dudes again. They were minor, but they are still cool looking and for some reason I like the idea of having a Rhino police force guarding the galaxy. I think it's just the audacity of it all.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well apparently we were supposed to see a whole lot of different races there, from previous episodes, making it like a United Nations type organisation but they couldn't fit them all in to the budget.

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There really wasn't an original series 'bible', in the current US sense.
    EVery now and again, if the new script editor was particularly enthusastic (Dennis Spooner, Douglas Adams, Christopher Bidmead), they'd write a set of 'Notes for writers' (A list of 'Don't Do This' - eg: 'Don't have the Doctor go back 15 minutes and try again after it's all gone wrong. It's banned because if it wasn't everyone would do it.', and a list of past stories 'So you don't duplicate.') which would then get used by their successors.

Peacemaker's referring to notes put forward by some of the people behind the first few episodes, like CE Webber and Antony Coburn (but who weren't necessarily still on board by the time the series entered production), which were reprinted in The First Doctor Handbook IIRC, and also David Whitaker's early drafts for what became Power of the Daleks, but in both cases they were heavily downplayed before they hit the screen (in the case of Power, as the initial idea of the Doctor simply becoming younger was overtaken by the bigger change that eventually became known as regeneration).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another reason why you really want to move to Britain: not only do you se the episodes earlier, but the BBC had the sense to simply not have a next episode trailer on The Stolen Earth. Just a big portentious To Be Continued (which appeared in three stages).
    Followed by a week of incredible suspense.

9. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

What?! I cannot believe they spoiled that cliffhanger for you guys! I mean, it's one thing to show, say, a Cyberman shooting a Dalek or the Ninth Doctor dancing with some nanites, but to ruin the greatest cliffhanger in all the new series, if not all Doctor Who/if not television history?

Man, I've been lurking around here long enough to know Sci-Fi aren't the greatest, but this...

Thankfully there's so much going on the finale not even Sci-Fi could spoil all of it.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

We got that too, followed about a half-second later by
    Ten yelling "maximum power!" and clearly showing his face to be the same.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, thanks for that. :cool:

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

What an excellent episode! This season has really been on a roll after a lackluster first half.

Was I the only one happy to see Harriet Jones former prime minister? I loved when she did it to the Daleks and they knew who she was. :lol:

I liked the Torchwood people so I may have to check out that show...

Most of what I'd like to say has already been said so I'll just say again that it was a lot of fun.

13. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Off course the biggest hints come from the SciFi promo for the next episode. Beside seeing Tennant, he mentions "Doctor Donna."

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet another reason I'm so grateful I don't have to rely in Sci-Fi for my fix. And feel kinda sorry for those who do.

The BBC was bad about this the first season though (World War Three and Bad Wolf come to mind. Fortunately RTD proably complained so they switched to having the cliffhanger trailers after the credits.

15. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I loved it when the Daleks knew who Harriet Jones was. It was one of the funniest jokes on the show.

If you start watching Torchwood don't go into it expecting Doctor Who 2.0, it's a very different type of show (more along the lines of an adult version of the X-Files or the 4400). In my opinion it's not as good as Doctor Who, but it has been getting better.

16. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't expect Rose not to whine. She has shown to have a bit of a jealous streak.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

They did learn to put the trailers after the credits on 2 parters, rather than before in time for Bad Wolf though.

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Hmmm, I'll take your word on that one as I'm too lazy to check. :)

Unfortunately they totally ruined the surprise ending by reveiling the Daleks in the Bad Wolf trailer.

19. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I was happy to see her again. I like strong woman characters done well and the actress does an excellent job of playing her.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I was also happy to see Harriet Jones again and thought her departure was quite fitting.