Poll Do you think ST Discovery will feature Constitution-class ships?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Andru, Aug 12, 2016.

?

Will Constitution-class starships be featured in ST Discovery?

1. No.

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Yes, and Constitution-class ships will be roughly similar to the TOS version.

51 vote(s)
    64.6%
  3. Yes, but Constitution-class ships will be heavily refreshed (eg. TMP- or ST 2009-style).

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I'm hoping they won't make a big deal of it. After all, in this story, it's not the hero ship.

2. Trajet

Trajet Commander Red Shirt

If they have to show the Enterprise, it should be in a subtle background cameo, perhaps docked at a starbase for resupply, and none of the characters should even reference it. In the mid-2250s, the Enterprise was 'just another ship', so it wouldn't make sense for the show to make a particularly big deal out of it.

3. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cage style Constutions, and ditch Jein's Numbers use MJ's proposed scheme where 1701 is 17th cruiser design and 01 is first production build 1600's should be very similar ship. I'm thinking the difference between a 1600 series starship and a 1700 would be akin to the difference between the US Navy's North Carolina and South Dakota class battleships close in displacement and length at a glance one might pass for the other

4. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

You know, if its the 17th ship design, not just cruisers, the numbers later in the series start to make a wee bit more sense( not totally mind you)

5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think he meant "familiar face" to extend to ships. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to have a season 1 cliffhanger that has the Discovery encountering a vessel (and possibly a captain) we're already familiar with.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

With Bruce Greenwood and Zachary Qunito guest staring in a special DISCOVER event episode(s).

7. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

8. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

While cool, I will never understand why the reboot ship is so freaking large

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

No reason to change the registry number. At that time, Enterprise did not have the reputation it will have under Kirk.

10. WB2

WB2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure they will even fly a constitution "prototype" in latter seasons.

11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why a prototype? The show is set 10 years before TOS. At that time, Constitutions had been exploring the galaxy for several decades.

12. WB2

WB2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well alright then.Scratch the prototype. I'll even throw in they will visit the Enterprise.

13. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

15. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll probably appear as part of a listing/record on some okudagram.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope for no Okudagrams. Those belong in the 24th century.

Kor

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

publiusr and Galileo7 like this.
  18. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can see them sticking closer to the original aesthetic but with updates more like Vektor's work though I wouldn't be against seeing elements used by MadKoiFish who I think did really well blending the styles of TOS, TMP and the JJ look rather nicely I think it would be a neat kick to see some really nicely detailed and textured Matt Jefferies and Franz Jospeh style ships.

Both of these designers Enterprises I love and in my opinion are 2 of a handful of amazing fan redesigns, if anyone hasn't seen it you should check out Hanzhefu's ongoing project Yes Another TOS Constitution Reboot.

If I were to do my own spin on a Constitution Class I imagine it would end up looking something like one (or a combination) of these.

19. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Yes, why not? :D

In fact the original model restoration is going well, so why not film that? ;)

I think if they ever did show it, I'd prefer a CGI version of the TOS ship. I know the new ship is out there in the new films, but I can't help but feel that the original is where the history is.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  20. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or whatever display format they use. I mean that as part of the text on some screen, say, a mission briefing, it will mention a Constitution-class ship going somewhere. (But only if you look really close can you read it.)