Do you have a BluRay player? Do you have a DVD player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shat Happens, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Do you have a DVD player? Do you have a Bluray player?

1. Yes both

56.3%
  2. only BLuRay

13.8%
  3. only DVD

26.3%
  4. neither

3.8%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

*headdesks* actually I voted DVD only but forgot my PS3, as I pretty much never use it as a player and often forget it is one.

Nevermind.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My PS3 is the only media device I have. Blu Ray, DVD, Netflix, video games...

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My TV isn't quite at the point to make it worth it just yet, but I'll probably get a Blue-Ray player sooner rather than later. I currently have a Region-free DVD player so it would be a shame to lose that, though.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It makes for a great media device, really. On top of those things also having Amazon Prime/video service on it.

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

In New Zealand we have shite and expensive internet, and the rights to broadcasts are tied up with satellite providers so we have no decent "Netflix" type provider here. iTunes New Zealand doesn't even have a tv show section.

I have a DVD player and rent movies occasionally the old fashioned way. My TV is only 720p so I have no reason to upgrade to a Blu-Ray just yet.

I do however work at a Post Production facility who make documentaries and am currently knee deep in 4K footage, so I'm not a complete Luddite! :)

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

720p is HD and is better than the SD video of DVD, so you can still benefit from BD.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I know, but when you work with 2160 week after week it's hard just having 720.

:)

8. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

It can't be that hard, since you don't have either now. :p

9. Michelle

Michelle Lieutenant Red Shirt

The only thing putting me off buying A Blu ray player is that I would then have to re-buy all my DVDs. That would be a major expense considering the quantity I own. :(

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I could re-buy all my DVD's either. Fortunately, it isn't necessary.

My newer purchases tend to be Blu-Ray though

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This may depend on your provider, but I still get a smattering of channels even though I don't subscribe to cable. I do get Internet, though, so there is still a signal of some kind coming into my house. That gets me the basic network channels (the networks and PBS) - all without an antenna. Yours may do the same thing.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS?!

Blu Ray players will player standard DVDs. You don't need to re-buy anything.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You don't have to rebuy your DVD's as a Blu-ray player is backwards compatible. The only things I've upgraded are my Star Trek discs, the original Star Wars trilogy, 2001, 2010 and a few comedy movies. I still am able to watch all my DVD's that I haven't upgraded on my Blu-ray player. Right now, I'm making my way through the first couple seasons of Married... with Children (DVD) on my PS4.

It seems like ignorance is going a long way in keeping DVD in business.

*Ninja'd by RoJoHen!

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

You would have heard an apocalyptic amount of bitching if a blu-ray player didn't play DVD's. There probably would've been riots.

Replace DVD's that really mean a lot to you, plus maybe ones that are FX heavy, then go blu-ray with any new purchases. The price isn't much higher if you look hard enough.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

What I find most funny about the "I'll have to re-buy all my DVDs" argument is that, even IF Blu-ray players didn't play DVDs, it's not like the moment you buy a Blu-ray player Best Buy dispatches its blue-shirted goons out to reclaim your DVD player and send it to Electronics Hell. You could actually still use both if you wanted to.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's just crazy talk!

I actually did this for a while back when I got my first Blu-ray player. I figured it would save wear and tear on the disc drive until prices came down and they were easily replaceable.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

[​IMG]
    DVD-------------------------------------------BLU-RAY​

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

my consoles and PC give me both DVD and Blu Ray abilities. Blu Ray is worth the money now IMO.

19. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I own a lot of DVDs, but I'm probably only going to replace about 25% of them with Blu-rays. My favorite movies are all definitely getting replaced. But the movies that I liked enough to buy, but don't love, I'm not going to waste the effort it will take to sell them and I'm not going to waste the money it will take to replace them, even if I do find them in a bargain bin somewhere.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Upscaled propaganda! ;)