Do we deserve more? 38 minutes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by balls, Jan 24, 2018.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the finale will be five hours long.

YEAH, YOU WANTED MORE? HERE, EAT YOUR GANGLIA

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I've been lucky on that end, though I wonder if the fact I have an adblocker has anything to do with it? Surely CBS' website has a way around that. Hell, Hulu will tell you straight out that your adblocker is screwing things up. Of course, if it is an adblocker keeping the commercials away, seems like a fair trade off to me, because I haven't seen any quality above 480p save for once. $6 a month for less than DVD quality streaming and no commercials? Sounds fair.

Seriously, CBS needs to get on the ball. They've got people watching, but their service doesn't seem up to the task.

3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I must admit I don't really notice a few minutes here and there. They seem to be struggling to package their product with many episodes in the first place. That's just the way it is now. Gone are the days of 26 episode seasons.

4. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I thought you were talking about the time it takes for a North Korean Nuclear hydrogen bomb to get to NYC. Just as bad I guess. What the hell am I doing in a Disco forum?

5. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I certainly don't deserve it. But they are missinf an opportunity for greater storytelling for sure. And people will notice and be critical of this. I beoieve many of these episodes needed a few more minutes. But yeah stamets explores being not dead, we meet the emperor and her palace, find out lorca is w dick and kill voq inside tyler? This was too short

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if more time would've afforded greater storytelling. Better editing maybe?

7. GeekUSACarl

You may be right and I may be nitpicking but I keep thinking of Daredevil and the marvel shows, 5-8 more minutes to squeeze in some more moments between characters can speak volumes.

More time between Michael and Georgeyo coulda done so much more.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've got a Roku 3 (wired ethernet), a Roku 4K (wi-fi) and an Xbox One S (wi-fi). The most issues I've had is a bit of stuttering on the 'S'. I wonder if it could be more due to some folks connections than the hardware used?

urbandefault and nightwind1 like this.
  9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I have a 250 Mbps direct (wired) ethernet connection, and I keep my network running smoothly. I have no problems using Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, and getting HD quality on the PC, Xbox, or the Roku, but CBS All Access never fails to crap out on me no matter what platform. It looks awful on my Roku 1 / HDTV, that is if I get it to work. On my PC, where I prefer to watch, I get nothing better than 480p 95% of the time, and I've tried Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE. The end result is still the same. It's them.

10. GeekUSACarl

I'd buy that if I had the same issues with netflix and amazon.

Ill admit the cbs app is way better mow than the first two weeks.

Fox NOW takes the cake for worst ever though

Amaris likes this.
  11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Indeed. If I were seeing these issues across the board, I'd be looking at my equipment, or my ISP. Hell, I went ahead and contacted Spectrum anyway and they ran line/box tests, and everything looked fantastic. So it's neither of these things.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The episode runtimes, to the nearest quarter-minute, more or less.

1 - 43
    2 - 40.5
    3 - 48.5
    4 - 50
    5 - 46.75
    6 - 44.5
    7 - 47.25
    8 - 41.25
    9 - 47.5
    10 - 49
    11 - 49
    12 - 37.25

So the breakdown is:

< 41 minutes - 2 episodes
    = 41-43 minutes - 2 episodes
    > 43 minutes - 8 episodes

So I think we've come out ahead in the "edit to whatever length you want" game, even if a short episode combined with that particular cliffhanger feels a little cruel.

NeoStar9 and Qonundrum like this.
  13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It’s a show and that’s the story they wanted to tell. We don’t deserve anything from them and they owe us nothing.

14. Kol-Ut-Shan

Kol-Ut-Shan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Space and time are relative.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought more happened in this episode did in episodes that were 45. It was one of the better episodes of the season.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'd be curious to see the reactions of "We are owed nothing, they story took that long to tell" people is an episode were 17 minutes long. ;)

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd watch it.

18. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet criticize their product and they take it as personally as it gets even though the critics aren't attacking the makers' personal attributes. Are Americans really nothing more than what they do? Maybe there should be some standards and expectations since despite everyone saying what one allegedly owes another, either people aren't listening or for other reasons it's not working the way we rationalize that? (If nothing else, TV episodes all used to be a fairly consistent set length. Will the inevitable blu-ray release be priced accordingly?)

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, currently, though that is slowly changing based upon different emphasizes in personal psychology and counseling.

20. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

You don’t have to watch it.

nightwind1 and fireproof78 like this.