News Disney's Live Action Mulan

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 7, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How so? It's an American production based on an American cartoon, written by Americans, and directed by a New Zealander. It would be more weird if it wasn't in English.

2. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I doubt I will see this but when I saw all of those soldiers I was interested until they said it was "Mulan" so... maybe.

I worked in a toy department when Aladdin was big, I've seen parts of that so many times they'd have to Clockwork Orange me to watch it again, same for Little Mermaid.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

A look at IMDB makes me suspect you are right.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Verified Disney Princess Moderator

It's supposed to be closer to the original legend since the animated film has been criticized as offensive by Chinese audiences.

The Nth Doctor and Skywalker like this.
  5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. I'm all for that.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They could, but Disney seems to want to lean on autotune instead (the autotune on Will Smith in Aladdin was super-obvious).

Before Iger took over Disney went through a raft of sequels. Remember Cinderella 2? Not many do. How about Lion King 1/2? And yes, even Mulan 2. That was a corporate strategy to milk that cow. This is just another variation on the same theme.

I wonder if they'll eventually resort to doing a "live action" Home on the Range and would they dare hire Roseanne Barr for it?

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to say I'm interested. I did see the animated one a few months ago, but before that, it was the 2009 one I was familiar with (with Zhao Wei) - though it's been a while since I've rewatched it.

I'd like to see this one to compare.

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Premium Member

Do we think they'll ever do a live action Pocahontas? That was one of my favorites when I was a kid. It could definitely be problematic, so they'll probably avoid it altogether, but if done correctly it could be good.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see them doing it, but they would have to be very, very careful.
    I noticed that they used a horse for Mulan that actually looks quite a bit like the one she has in the animated movie.
    They changed Belle's horse in Beauty and the Beast from a brown and white Belgian Draft Horse in the animated version, to a white horse in the live action version.
    I know it's a minor thing, but I'm an animal person so this kind of stuff stands out to me.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Yup, as well as number 3.
    Lion King 2 was better.
    Mediocre film.

Also, two Aladdin sequels, Fox and the Hound 2, Bambi 2, Little Mermaid 2, and on and on.