News Disney's Live Action Mulan

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 7, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How so? It's an American production based on an American cartoon, written by Americans, and directed by a New Zealander. It would be more weird if it wasn't in English.

2. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I doubt I will see this but when I saw all of those soldiers I was interested until they said it was "Mulan" so... maybe.

I worked in a toy department when Aladdin was big, I've seen parts of that so many times they'd have to Clockwork Orange me to watch it again, same for Little Mermaid.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A look at IMDB makes me suspect you are right.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's supposed to be closer to the original legend since the animated film has been criticized as offensive by Chinese audiences.

The Nth Doctor and Skywalker like this.
  5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. I'm all for that.

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They could, but Disney seems to want to lean on autotune instead (the autotune on Will Smith in Aladdin was super-obvious).

Before Iger took over Disney went through a raft of sequels. Remember Cinderella 2? Not many do. How about Lion King 1/2? And yes, even Mulan 2. That was a corporate strategy to milk that cow. This is just another variation on the same theme.

I wonder if they'll eventually resort to doing a "live action" Home on the Range and would they dare hire Roseanne Barr for it?

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to say I'm interested. I did see the animated one a few months ago, but before that, it was the 2009 one I was familiar with (with Zhao Wei) - though it's been a while since I've rewatched it.

I'd like to see this one to compare.

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we think they'll ever do a live action Pocahontas? That was one of my favorites when I was a kid. It could definitely be problematic, so they'll probably avoid it altogether, but if done correctly it could be good.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see them doing it, but they would have to be very, very careful.
    I noticed that they used a horse for Mulan that actually looks quite a bit like the one she has in the animated movie.
    They changed Belle's horse in Beauty and the Beast from a brown and white Belgian Draft Horse in the animated version, to a white horse in the live action version.
    I know it's a minor thing, but I'm an animal person so this kind of stuff stands out to me.

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup, as well as number 3.
    Lion King 2 was better.
    Mediocre film.

Also, two Aladdin sequels, Fox and the Hound 2, Bambi 2, Little Mermaid 2, and on and on.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We have a new trailer, which gives us a look at some fairly drastic changes they've made from the animated version, including a sister for Mulan, and two new villains replacing Shan Yu, Bon Khan and the witch Xian Lang.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't have a high opinion of Disney remaking their most successful animated movies into live action - it is a cash grab and not necessary.

So i can't tell why i'm so excited about live action Mulan.. they still took the basic story, from what seems even many scenes from the animated movie and just left out the songs (i'm ok with that) and Mushu who has apparently been replaced my a magical Phoenix (probably non speaking).

I love animated Mulan and this movie looks damn awesome.. this one i'll actually pay to see.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite the high level of detail, something about the set design/aesthetic of that village square (circle?) seems rather stage-y and just not "lived in," for lack of a more precise description. I get the same feel from a lot of the Star Wars sequel trilogy and the Mandalorian series.

Kor

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The first trailer didn't really light a fire under me but this one is much better. Not only does it look like a good film, it feels like they're actually going to do something different from the animated film. That's a sharp contrast from the other adaptions with the exception of the The Jungle Book, the only live-action adaption I've loved.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  15. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the first live action Disney movie I’m legitimately excited for. I got chills when I heard the instrumental of “Reflection.”

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People comparing direct to DVD sequels to mega high budget super high production value live action remakes are comparing something more different than apple to oranges. The live action remakes are bringing whole new audiences to these stories. And the live action Mulan looks much more like a true action/kung-fu movie than a full on animated movie adaptation. It has every right to exist.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Looks like no time for singing here. There's a serious battle going on. Time to get down to business

Although there might be some version of "Reflection". Probably in the end credits

[​IMG]

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

The trailer looked good. I like some of the changes they made, and I am grateful it will not be a "shot - for - shot" remake of the original.

fireproof78 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So, it's not a musical?

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Hard to say - the animated film barely qualified as one.