Discovery: Mission New York

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are talking about the plot.

99% of the world is getting it on Netflix, so most of the pirates will probably be in the US and Canada.

The is just a drop in the ocean.

2. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Thank you sir. Exactly my thoughts. The other series did not refer to Christianity at all or any other Earth based religion so it would be stupid if Discovery introduces a Muslim and deal with it's religion.

dinzy likes this.
  3. CJCade

CJCade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the most likely explanation (100% confirmed they will be aired weekly), although it could speak to the actual series itself being one where people like to watch it in smaller chunks because of it being complex and wanting to take time to digest and ponder it.

Eventually I'll find the link to the article where it is said, I believe by Moongrave, that the current episode and the previous four will be available to watch at any given time on All Access. If you stop to think about it, it makes sense seeing how they are releasing it weekly to ensure that subscribers stay longer than a month to watch the show. With thirteen episodes airing over three months and only five episodes being available at any given time during the first run, that insures that a subscriber will pay for three months. Otherwise they will be lost, especially since it is serialized.

Until I find the other link, below is an article talking about how All Access limits the number of episodes available for some of their other shows. I found this at this link and it makes the thought not that completely insane.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Religions change. They aren't set in stone, it's mostly non-believers and fundamentalists who have this concept. I mean, I look at the church where I grew up in and I see how much has changed in the rules of that particalur community in a relativaly short time. Like at Christianity as a whole. Or the changes going on in the Catholic church right now.

So who's to say a Muslim in the 23rd century is the same as one now? Who says the Arab characters MUST be a Muslim to begin with? Orthodox Christianity is the most traditional religion in Russia. Was Chekov religious? Not as far as we know, it never came up, but it's a good assumption he wasn't.

It says alot about the good people on the forum that they immediatly expect any Arabic character to be a Muslim, really. Fun little read, this is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Christians

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re the bingeable thing, of course CBSAA won't lock up the show so that you can never watch the whole thing as you choose. But the initial airing is a separate thing. They need to generate a chunk of money to show that making a Trek series is a viable commercial proposition. They also need to create buzz, within fandom of course, but ideally spilling over into mainstream pop culture, thus increasing viewer numbers. Both of these mean controlling the viewing 'window', i.e. when and how people watch.

At some point DSC season 1 will not be the new series. Then they will make it fully available in order to generate viewership for season 2. But they are being cagey about this because they want the initial viewership to be as large as possible, for the reasons stated above.

CJCade likes this.
  6. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    This is what set off my rant on the matter. I think it was some stupid, greed-based idea some moron was throwing around that has since died. It makes no business sense. If they want Trek to be a major draw they need to make the first episode available free and let people sign up and binge whenever that first contact is made. If the show really is good some will come late during the season or even after the season. Even if they come for Trek and only buy 1 month, binge and cancel this is the type of customer they are and this is all the money they can get from them. But in that 1 month maybe they will watch other shows, live TV or whatnot and feel that the subscription is worth it. If they don't, CBS can't force them or play stupid games to try to extract more money from them because they won't come back for future seasons. Revenue is revenue and if there are enough of these Trek only people, maybe they need more Trek.

I still can't believe that the live TV option does not include NFL.

CJCade likes this.
  7. CJCade

I don't mind that the entire series won't drop at once. A viewing window for it does bother me, though. Not sure how that will be handled here in Canada. I can even understand their reasoning. Only time will tell if it will work or not. They are trying to force a lot of changes that viewers of other streaming services have come to expect, so it will be a battle. One I'm not so sure they can win.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

As someone pointed out on facebook, the majority of the world does not use Netflix either, so they will actually be paying more than Americans if they want to watch it.

RAMA

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I believe this is true..they will make it unbingeable for the first run, and maybe till the bluray is released. Then the whole show and bluray will have all episodes...and YES I am double-dipping, CBD ALL Access AND the bluray.

RAMA

10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

IT'S GOING TO BE ON TV IN CANADA.

Canada is the only country this will be available through good old cable TV (on Space) rather than a streaming service, though it will be made available through Crave (as CJCade points out below) eventually. This has been announced many times.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. CJCade

Yes, I know it will be on Space in Canada, which still means you have to have a cable subscription. And then it will be on Crave (haven't heard about Shomi). But neither of those changes the fact that it is unknown if at any given time all episodes will be available to be watched at once during the first run of the series, or if only a certain number will be available. Not sure why you thought you responded to my statement with what you thought was an obvious answer, unless you failed to get what I was saying.

12. Steve Roby

"The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV™, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service."

13. CJCade

Yes. And again, it still doesn't answer what I was questioning (which I don't expect an answer to because we won't know that until later).

To break it down... If I come in on Episode 7, will I be able to go on Crave and watch every episode up to that point or will Crave (like is a possibility with All Access) limit the available episodes to the current one and the four previous?

That would mean there would only be episodes 3-7 available to watch, limiting the ability to shorten a subscription to a service to watch the series from the beginning to the end until after the first run of episodes (at which point they will likely all be available to watch.

That is what I am pondering, not whether it is going to be available in one form or another in Canada.

14. Steve Roby

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think you'd have to wait until the show's first run is over to get it via streaming. Though you're right that it isn't entirely clear, it reads to me like they're maximizing the broadcast/cable side and the streaming through Crave is a minor bonus. Someone in another topic said, "2) Crave TV has confirmed it will not upload the new Trek Series until AFTER the first season is completed." No source given, though.

15. CJCade

Now that would really suck as anyone who doesn't have cable would be unable to watch any of it (not counting the premiere) until after the entire season was complete.

I have a feeling if they aren't careful they are going to make Discovery give Game of Thrones a run for their money as the most pirated tv series.

16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think they have to worry about that. Star Trek is still pretty niche and doesn't have the broad appeal of Game of Thrones.

Unless Fuller somehow makes it into a really, really, major pop culture phenomenon. If it somehow gains enough viewers to become the most pirated TV series ever, then the amount of paying consumers would still be astronomical and it would easily be one of the most successful series of all time.

17. Steve Roby

Game of Thrones and Walking Dead do okay on cable and pay TV.

18. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I don't stream, I won't be watching this show until the home video release. Anyone else in the same boat?

19. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Yup.

eyeresist likes this.
  20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No streaming? You don't go out to one of those big red/blue boxes and buy physical media off the street do you? :biggrin:

RAMA