Discovery: Drastic Measures pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Good for you. Not sure what point you're trying to put across.

2. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

That I remembered this because I had read the books very recently.

3. Brefugee

So it seems. That's a great memory you have then.

4. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

Sometimes I can’t remember what I had for breakfast.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Weren't there "orthos" in Dreadnought! and/or Battlestations!, of the original craft from those novels?

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, IIRC -- one or two types of fighter craft in the former and a small freighter or something like that in the latter. For a moment I thought there were plans of the titular dreadnought too, but then I remembered that was something I drew myself in pencil, tracing Franz Joseph's dreadnought plans and modifying them to fit the book's description of things like the hexagonal (octagonal?) saucer. I'm not sure if I still have that drawing anywhere.

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Ive been reading the novel, Star Trek Probe and there’s a little scene in it where Riley remembers the massacre and the last moment with his father. I wonder if that will be in the novel?
    Also on the Memory Alpha Page about Kodos, it mentions that the Enterprise was on course to help but was attacked by Klingons and didn’t make it which really affected April. That would be a nice reference to include. The Enterprise should be mentioned in every STD novel. :)

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well now. Yesterday's episode of Discovery sure puts the premise of this novel into a new light, eh?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah. I wonder if the novel's author knew about the plot twist ahead of time.

So this would be the first time we actually see the prime universe version of Gabriel Lorca. I wonder how different he will be from the version we've all come to know...

Ronald Held likes this.
  10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I’ve known about everything, all along.

As for the book.....you’ll just have to wait for February 6th or so. :)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The big reveal definitely makes me even more curious to check this one out.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Three more episodes in the season, they've burned off all of their foreshadowing, anything could happen, and anyone could appear.

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine the thing revealed in the episode will happen at the end. We don’t know for sure how long he was around in the Prime.
    Or... he’s been him all this time. They haven’t expressed length yet.

14. Brefugee

They've inferred how long it has been.
    most notably when Lorca and the Admiral shagged

GaryH likes this.
  15. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

As soon as I saw this part Sunday's episode I immediately thought about this book. Now so many different things are running through my mind regarding both the end of the season of Discovery and this novel as well.

16. RuthlessNate

RuthlessNate Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My guess, as I stated in another thread, is that he read about the destruction of the Buran in the Defiant's files, saw that his counterpart was the only survivor, and used that as his opportunity to cross over and replace his counterpart. The Prime Lorca went down with his ship.

17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Only Dayton knows if he is the
    Mirror Lorca

EDIT from trampledamage: Sorry, I'm late to reading this thread, but this strikes me as a spoiler to the TV series so I've coded it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see how there could be any question.

MU Lorca has only been in the Prime Universe for about a year, maybe less. He was recently involved in a coup against Empress Georgiou and had the ISS Buran destroyed as a result. Only after that did he cross over to the PU.

As for the USS Buran, I assume Prime Lorca was killed along with the rest of its crew, and MU Lorca merely showed up after the fact. Remember, the Klingon War was already going on when that version of the ship was destroyed. This was after DSC, the show, began.

So since "Drastic Measures" takes place over 10 years ago, when Lorca was only a LCDR, I can't see how it could feature any Lorca other than Prime.

Leto_II likes this.
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, MU Lorca likely only arrived in the Prime Universe around the time the Buran was destroyed, making it unlikely we'll see him in this novel at all.

20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, DM could take place in the Mirror Universe, and the twist ending is Georgiou becoming Empress out of nowhere, and then we all re-read the book and notice all the subtle clues that we were never in our home reality.