News Discovery and Trek Continuity

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by DSG2k, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

Um, that is literally not true, as the 2008 quote makes evident.

So you ignore the 2008 quote despite it serving to demonstrate the consistency of Kurtzman's view because it is old?

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

The rest of this thread reminded me of why I wanted to stop discussing canon, but I appreciate your response and the effort put into it, so instead of fading away I'll respectfully disagree again and, well, then fade away.

*fades away*

Spot261, SolarisOne and DSG2k like this.
  3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, this statement is inaccurate because Kurtzman's 2008 comments do not say what you are claiming they do.

I'm not ignoring anything because Kurtzman has not actually said - in either 2008 or 2018 - what you are claiming he has.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Infraction for flaming, comments to PM.

And this is precariously close to just flat out calling the OP a troll, which is against the rules. But since you're new and this is your first offense and you backed off a bit before actually saying it, I'll let it pass with a friendly this time.

5. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

I see two possibilities here.

1. I am not claiming what you think I am claiming.

2. There is something elusive about Kurtzman's 2008 statement that he treats the books as canon and his 2018 statement where he places them, along with prior shows, as part of the continuity they seek to maintain.

As I argued per the latter quote, placing the works in the continuity means that the new CBS productions treat the books and comics as canon. This reading was then verified by his direct statement to that effect from 2008 which, though technically not directly applicable to Discovery or CBS Trek projects, does demonstrate a continuity of his opinion with similar sentiment and phrasing.

Put another way, if my reading of the 2018 quote was off the rails, as you argue, I don't think it likely that I could've backtracked and found him in 2008 so easily.

You may wish to argue whether or not inclusion of a vast new set of disparate continuities as part of a mainline continuity to which new works must try to adhere constitutes a new universe, but I don't see any conceivable plausibility to the argument that he doesn't mean the clear meaning of the words he said.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've never been canon.. Ever.

SolarisOne, Kor, ozzfloyd and 2 others like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

There's some serious Orwellian-ness here. "The novels aren't canon." "Yes they are!" "2+2 = 4." "No. 2+2 = 5!"

At best, if a staff writer writes a novelization or comic, you might have the writer's intent at the time. Whether or not that intent is ever explicitely shown on screen or contradicted later on is something else.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And as soon as she left, things crept into the shows that contradicted her books.

Not that there is any correlation between quality and being part of what passes for continuity in Trek these days.

DSG2k likes this.
  9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek has been making soft canon sources into hard canon by mentioning them in on screen episodes and films since ST:TMP.

All he's saying is that they TRY not to 'violate' anything; but as always, if it comes down to it: On Screen (IE TV & Film) canon will still always trump soft (IE Novels/Comics) canon sources - and when two on screen sources conflict, it's viewer's choice. ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm aware of who jeri taylor is. My point is if she can choose to use elements of her novels in a tv series, why can't other showrunners do it, regardless of whether they have written said novel or not? To this point, the episode 'Revulsion' which was not written by Taylor, used elements of her work when Janeway was describing her first meeting with Tuvok.

cultcross and jaime like this.
  11. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You will diminish and go into the west and remain, Marynator. *fades away in elvish*

saddestmoon, Jinn and cultcross like this.
  12. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

I'm sure that's how it probably works on a practical level, though he didn't specify as much.

After all, for a long while each novel was a little universe unto itself, with direct reference to other novels forbidden. Short of a high-level insurgent campaign to remain non-contradictory among each other (which, besides being virtually impossible, didn't happen), there's no practical way to have those all gel. Even the newer works that do have continuity almost certainly contradict one another, and (needless to say) the older works.

(Just off the top of my head, "Requiem for Methuselah" suggests Flint is already aging and will grow old and die in a normal lifespan. "Cry of the Onlies" ran with that, with Flint in pain. The excellent "Immortal Coil", however, has Flint still running amok a century later.)

Such contradictions are the background for Kurtzman's statement that they can only try to maintain continuity with the books and comics. But again, the challenge of it aside, the fact of his treating them as canon is a huge shift in Star Trek's very identity.

13. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Continuity is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Continuity is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD.

DSG2k and Jinn like this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

<T-800>
    She'll be back.
    </T-800>

Are we sure this thread is functioning properly? Its mods are GREEN.

DSG2k, Ronald Held and Jinn like this.
  15. Manchester

Manchester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They've been a different kind of canon. One that can be superseded by what's shown on screen,

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Nah, you're just reading in way more than he means by application of an extreme pedantry he clearly doesn't share. He respects and doesn't want to contradict the books but can't avoid it. That's all this is.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh no? This isn’t Star Wars

DSG2k likes this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It has never worked that way. The novels have always been viewed as non-canon as far as the actual Star Trek shows/movies go. Elements of books can be used in a show or movie if the show/movie writer so chooses, but that doesn't make that book canon, just the element they used.

Now with that said, what is canon or not is entirely up to whoever is in charge at the time. If CBS suddenly makes a statement that, say, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is no longer canon even though it was on screen, and, say, the novel “A Stitch in Time” by Andrew Robinson is canon even though it wasn’t on screen, that’s their prerogative, because they are in charge of Star Trek now.

DSG2k likes this.
  19. Manchester

Manchester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks like I was wrong.

DSG2k likes this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Don’t feel bad. Most people here are wrong about things too.

DSG2k likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.