Dillard's Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Odo, Apr 10, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had the YA novelization of Generations and I'm pretty sure that had Kirk being shot in the back, too.

The YA novelization of First Contact described the Borg Queen as having long dark hair, which I always thought was weird since the centre of the book had photos showing her to be bald.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was one of those things that stuck out in TFF. One of those sixth sense things. You could argue he was supposed to die on the Enterprise-B when he was alone and was saved by basically a fluke.

Some have interpreted his line could have meant alone from what he considered his family, Spock and McCoy. I've sort of gone with that myself. He didn't die alone per se, but he died with someone he barely knew and away from his 'family.' I can buy that.

I know. And I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I watch Generations. It's just, with Kirk, I sort of expected more. It doesn't have to be some crazy Kirk vs 1000 Klingons death. As I said his 'first' death on the Enterprise-B was perfect to me, and it didn't have any crazy stunts. He was rerouting circuits on the deflector. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes it's the way it's presented. I thought the way they handled the elder Spock's death in Beyond was very poignant. And there was no crazy heroics or stunts. But I thought very well done. In Generations it felt like it was missing something. Unlike the Harriman situation, where my opinion has evolved over time, with Kirk's 'final' death, no matter how many times I see it, it always feels the same, empty. Like they forgot to film something.

SolarisOne likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

Spock. This was Kirk's first ever appearance without his half-Vulcan BFF and as such it seemed off.

Kirk got a better death in Into Darkness and that one lasted 15 minutes.

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't even count that as a death scene for Kirk, since it was such a blatant homage to Spock's death scene in TWOK.

5. Damian

That must have been it. No Spock. But then, he wouldn't have "died alone".

I hated the blatant TWOK 'death' reverse rip off scene in STID. I remember thinking, really, they went there. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure they thought they were being cute, but I was just shaking my head. And don't get me started about the magic blood :P

6. Damian

You're being far too nice. It was a blatant rip-off. Then when Spock yelled "KHAN" I almost yelled at the screen..No way did they just seriously do that. In a way I almost felt like Abrams even thought it bordered on ridiculous because they quickly cut away to the next scene. Like "KHAAAAVengeance roaring into the atmosphere"

7. F. King Daniel

Each to their own. Spock's "Khaaaan!" was utterly stupid, but I thought the death beforehand was extremely well done.

Qonundrum and Allyn Gibson like this.
  8. Christopher

If they'd cut out the quotes from TWOK, it wouldn't have been too bad, except for the silliness of the setup (kicking an antimatter injector into place? Seriously?).

SolarisOne and Qonundrum like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

Yeah, thats far less plausible than Spock stirring antimatter soup with his bare hands to get the warp drive working:lol:

ItIsGreen and Qonundrum like this.
  10. Damian

I seem to remember Spock was trying to release a stuck valve. And he was wearing gloves, just sayin.

Kicking an antimatter injector was pretty silly too. I'm sure guys like Rick Sternbach and John Eaves were impressed with that little bit of Trek fixery. Not to mention the inside of that chamber was about 5 times to big for the ship (but that's another story)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Enterprise-E can have a bottomless shaft, then I don't see the problem with the Kelvinverse Enterprise having giant chamber in engineering.:razz:
    At least The Voyage Home did have the Cetacean Probe passing several ships on the way to Earth. I just watched it last week, and I think they might have made references to planetary defense systems or something like that when going through all the stuff the probe was taking out.

12. Christopher

That's hardly the problem. The problem is, a matter-antimatter reactor would need its parts incredibly finely aligned and calibrated in order to function safely, if at all. You couldn't just kick it into place like... whatever.

Also, you'd think they'd have maintenance drones or robot arms or something to perform that kind of repair in a hazardous environment, but Trek's future has always been oddly robot-free.

13. Damian

I can't argue with that. And who can forget the 78 decks on the Enterprise-A. Zimmerman even pointed out to Shatner that the Enterprise only had, what 23 decks, but I guess Shatner thought he knew better.

14. Damian

Ha-ha. I know some fans complain about all the technobabble, and yes, at times it could distract from the dramatic storyline. But I never thought it was a good idea to completely omit it either. I remember reading comments by Rick Sternbach on another site explaining how they try to think things through when building and designing sets, even if it didn't show up in dialogue or anything. Part of that is Star Trek is science fiction, not fantasy, and most of the production teams tried to give a real-world quality to everything they did. Not just put something there because it would look cool and dramatic.

I remember Sternbach explaining how something worked to the extent I almost felt like I could go out in my garage and build a warp engine. I had a hard time finding deuterium. And you know, I'm sure in the 23rd century you can find antimatter at any corner store, but in the 2010's it's a little hard to come by.

JonnyQuest037 and Rick Sternbach like this.
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

...Tell me, Future Boy, who's the President of the United States in 1985? ;)

ryan123450, Damian and Paris like this.
  16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, the first-printing of the paperback definitely has the as-screened death, not the version in the hardcover. All of my Pocket collection are first-editions.

Check yours again. Do you have a regular Pocket Books USA hardcover edition, or is it for a book club, which sometimes repackaged MMPBs as hardcovers?

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I just checked my paperback copy. It has the bridge death scene from the reshoot and the copyright page lists a first printing.

18. Damian

That could be the paperback first printing. I have the earlier hardcover book and mine has the shot in the back scene.

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Uh...duh! That's what I said. My paperback copy has the reshot bridge death scene, and the book is a first printing, according to the copyright page. Therin, on the other hand, is saying that he has a paperback first edition that contains the original shot-in-the-back-scene that the hardcover contained (I just checked my copy of the John Vornholt Young Adult Paperback version of the book, which is a second edition, and it contains the shot-in-the-back scene).

I think we can clear it up this way:

The Hard Cover and Young Adult Paperback from December 1994 both contain the original ending where Kirk is shot in the back.
    The Adult Paperback from 1995 has the reshot bridge death scene.

20. Damian

Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry.