Did Voyager have bad continuity?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, May 17, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager's continuity in five words:

WHERE IS THE BORG BABY?!?

2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It died due to unforessen complications due to being removed from the maturation chamber.

3. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

The words that come to my mind are more along the lines of:

WHEN THE HECK DID SEVEN AND CHAKOTAY START DATING?!

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lost in a script change.
    They were supposed to be mentioned that it went with the rest of the Borg kids but due to a last minute script change, it got cut out and mistakenly forgotten.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they intended to address it at one point, at least! But, after the cut, surely they could have snuck in a comment in the next episode.

6. exodus

I think it's easier said than done.
    Voyager had allot of troubles from the start with TNG & DS9 to live up too, not to mention being a flagship show on a brand new network trying to establish itself. I can clearly see how small details like such can be overlooked when you have producers and studio heads demanding so much more of you.

Look at it this way, it's easy to remember the bread and eggs when your wife is yelling at you to go shopping but because she's got you stressed, you always forget the milk.;) That's how I envision how being a writer on Voyager must have been like. It's why I try to give the show some slack. You get a different perspective when you try to picture yourself in their shoes...or at least I do.
    Seriously, how can anyone be creative under such pressure?

7. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Add to that...

Where is the Equinox crew?

What happened to the Borg rebellion/Civil War?

Why does Janeway mysteriously forget Kess' warning about the Krenim?

Other issues...

One episode the crew laments the potential loss of the doctor and the fact that he could not be replaced or backed up...the next the doctor has a msterios back up module that is a perfect copy of the EMH.

In an early episode Janeway laments the fact that she does not have any betazoids/telepaths on board...a later episode points out that she DOES in fact have them on board because the have to be hidden.

I'd also add the silly Lindsy Ballard episode to the list. We'll ignore the fact that Harry would not have had a relationship with this woman as suggested since he was still pining for Libby when the show started...there is also the fact that as an episode from late in the series run, it was kind of insulting to have a story about a lost beloved crew member that we NEVER met not heard of in the previous seasons.

8. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

Did they ever say that Lindsey and Harry were in an actual relationship though, I always figured they were just friends.

9. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To answer your questions: Yes.

Voyager had really bad continuity in many, many aspects of the show. I mean "Fury" literally changed the first three seasons of the whole damned show. The writers were only interested in telling a fun and interesting new sci-fi story each week which they mostly succeeded in, but that's really where their ambition ended which was a pity.

RE: Lindsay Ballard, no they weren't in a relationship but her existence as Harry's close friend on Voyager makes absolutely ZERO sense and that detracted from an episode which has one of the best concepts of any Trek show ever.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If there was ever a ST show in which we got to know characters outside of the main cast it was VOY.

11. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

What?

12. exodus

Aren't Vulcans considered very low level telepaths?
    They can't read minds without mind melding and even then it's not without some difficulty. Betazoids read minds effortlessly but as pointed out, all the Batazoids on Voyager had died. So Janeway's statement is correct if you consider she was asking for telepaths that read minds without anyone knowledge which Vulcans can't.

The excuse for Janeway not remembering Kes' warning about the Krenuim is time had been altered again after "Before & After". Proof is, Seven has to find the torpedo frequency which means Kes never did.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

My bad I missed a word out "Should've"

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fury split the timeline after the first five episodes.

we didnt' see about 6 years of Voyager.

not to mention that if they can virus shield themselves against the vidians..

Naomi and Harry would have lived.

Naomi?

Maybe, but certainly Harry.

15. exodus

I always assumed "Fury" happens around the same time or replaced "Deadlock".

16. Guy Gardener

So, during their second month lost but after the 5th episode where hey first met the vidians.

However

Why would Janeway be measuring months in increments of weeks?

The only people that do that are mothers with their babies.

Now this could have something to do with their dog(s)?

Or... Janeway was trying to have children with Mark?

I'd go a step further and say that she was pregnant when Voyager left DS9.

A further step would be to ask if she lost the baby naturally, or terminated the pregnancy because she didn't want to raise a child on Voyager so far from home in front of a crew she didn't feel she could command respect from if she was both a mother and a captain?

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It annoys me when people try to wank out absurdly convoluted explanations for continuity errors.

18. exodus

Try Yoga or a high colonic.

19. Guy Gardener

I (and Yoda) object to your use of the word "try".

20. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Forget about continuity! VOY and its crew were temporally destroyed and altered so many times, by all temporal logic they shouldn't even exist!

Other non-temporal examples of discontinuity are for instance Neelix knowing things about races even though he is travelling in unknown space to him! Go figure! Or how did Voyager replenish its neural gel packs and photon torpedoes? Did they replicate them (but wait neural gel packs can't be replicated...).

Whatever is all I can say...