Did the Kelvin movies sometimes lean too close to parody?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RedDwarf, May 9, 2018.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My impression of Beyond's Spock is ... no.

With the possible exception of Uhura, Spock would have let any (and all?) of the crew die in the volcano, or any other circumstance, to avoid violating the PD.

Credit where due, he would have followed his oath.
    My theory is whatever Losira/computer use to send the Enterprise a near thousand light-years away was still there (lingering subspace conduit?), and the Enterprise as following back to the planet.

Which accounts for the the unusual covering of distance for a given period of time.
    nu-Khan made it in less than one minute.

What does god need with a starship? Better question would be, what do Humans need with starships anymore.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not beaming in to toxic environments? Exploring stars and other stellar phenomenon? The fact that several (if not all) belligerent powers in nearby space have them?

There are lots of reasons. Just because one guy can do it doesn't mean that you can beam a whole crew there.

Syd Shanshala likes this.
  3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Protective equipment. Stargate had their people travel to planets wearing chemical warfare gear, and sometimes spacesuits.
    Beam a ship.
    Beam a photon torpedo.

4. fireproof78

Stargate also had starships.

There is no precedence for that ability for Starfleet. Otherwise, Voyager's trip would be quite short.

5. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Ask Scotty, after almost dying he knows.

6. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

And I just thought of making a thread asking if Spock had any true friends by the end of beyond apart from Uhura who is actually his lover than just his friend. this is one of the reasons the tv shows are better. we got to see these characters in R&R moments a lot. Movies..not so much

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS did not do romance well either. Kirk fell in love at the drop of a hat, Spock needed dodgy spores to get his groove on, Bones ran off with some woman when he was dying, then dumped her as soon as he got better.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Syd Shanshala and XCV330 like this.
  8. Syd Shanshala

Syd Shanshala Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very nicee high five!

9. Malaika

Malaika Captain Captain

I don't honestly think he's that cold, as I think it's easier for him to face the idea of his own death than facing the death of other people he is failing to help, especially those he knows or, worse, he cares about.... that was, IMO, the sense of part of his arc in the movie too
    that said, this would legit make a great dilemma for him in that movie if, indeed, things were reversed and he had to choose between violating the PD and saving Uhura without having the option to take her place.
    Interestingly, she'd probably ask him to let her die too or similarly-wise, if posed with the dilemma of saving her or their captain, or her and other people, she'd ask him to sacrifice her..and it would be interesting to see her acting as the vulcan there while he actually struggles and can't do what logic dictates him to do. Hopefully, she wouldn't need to truly die to make a point and challenge Spock and Quinto's acting in that sense, but I generally like when movies kind of put certain characters into no-win scenarios where they need to question everything they'd believe true before because of the unpredictability of life. And I think with characters like Spock, that conflict kind of writes itself effortlessly. He plays with our expectations and suppositions about him but in the end, he's unpredictable too. Maybe even more than the human characters.

10. fireproof78

I was about to say-that is largely part of the film itself.