Did next gen ever have a mary sue type character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WildManWizard, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

She doesn't qualify as Mary Sue, regardless.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

She’s not a Mary Sue in the strictest sense of the phrase, but she indeed had qualities of one.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

What qualifies her as a Mary Sue, and how do those qualities set her apart from being a regular character but also not a Mary Sue in the "strictest sense?"

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I already answered that question.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

None of those fit the definition of a Mary Sue.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other than being a Doctor, what else did she do?

7. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, TNG had a "Mary Sue." His name was the "outrageous" Okona.

Everybody in the episode was charmed by his jokes about loading shuttles with canaries. The women wanted to sleep with him, the men envied him, and he was the one who swooped in at the end and solved everybody's problems.

Never was there a bigger Mary Sue than the "outrageous" Okona, who was so outrageous that the title of the episode had to tell you about it.

Turtletrekker and DeannaTroi like this.
  8. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Data does apply, he a little too often was allowed to break the rules or otherwise cause problems with no punishment or other consequences, it quickly wasn't even really remembered. He is pretty perfect and what flaws he has aren't really acknowledged, punished, remembered. Beverly Crusher and other characters broke rules but for them it felt a lot rarer and at least more controversial even if also pretty much forgotten, let alone forgiven.

Wesley comes close but often enough it was clear other characters found him annoying at times.

9. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

I think the ultimate Mary Sue in fiction is hands down Atticus Finch in to Kill a Mockingbird. The book is nearly unreadable because the guy is the greatest at everything he has ever done.
    Star Trek's version of Mary Sue is Data. He saves the day a ridiculous amount of times. His only flaw is that he is too moral and compassionate. He comes up with the solution to every single problem. The only time he was ever anything but the greatest was in the Most Toys at the end. He was used as the Deus Ex Machina way too often.
    Not even Spock was as big of a mary sue as Data.

Other than being close minded , opinionated, and obnoxious, Beverly could qualify. She solved every medical problem she ever encountered in the series. Even the only time she actually did anything out of line (Suspicions) it was because she was just such a caring physician that knew something wasn't right. Part of the reason I much more enjoyed Pulaski..
    Wesley saved the day way too often as well. In season 1 he would certainly qualify as a Mary Sue.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

While I give you the point in general, there actually were a few things Beverly couldn't solve. Worf's paralysis and Picard's Irumodic Syndrome, at least.

11. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Nella Daren had enough difficulty on her away mission that she wouldn't qualify, she very nearly didn't survive that one

12. DeannaTroi

DeannaTroi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Definitely Wesley Crusher.

No one was as unflawed and perfect as him.

13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be a Mary Sue, it wouldn't be a matter of her thinking she was right, it would be all the people around her (especially the "main group") see her as always right. Pulaski doesn't qualify.
    Being perceived by others as attractive would be a item on the Mary Sue check list.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Really? Did you actually watch the episodes she was in? She constantly put Data down in front of others and thought of him as nothing more than a machine, and yet no one ever bothered to try to correct her opinion (other than Data, of course), even though no else felt the same way as Pulaski did. She had three husbands and are still “great friends” with all of them. She practically inferred that she even banged Riker’s dad, and he didn’t even give it a second thought. Etc.

Ok, I’ll give you that, but it’s not a requirement to be a MS.