Did Mitchell and Dehner survive?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MAGolding, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

That's how I interpret it too. Certainly Mitchell was powerful enough to make the instruments stop functioning.

As far as the boulder killing him, I just assume that he was not yet fully recovered from Dehner attacking him. yes, his powers were coming back but maybe he wasn't completely up to full strength yet and was still weakened enough to be crushed to death under a big heavy rock

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    uniderth likes this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mitchell was not suicidal--the megalomania caused by the barrier also made his basic emotions rob him of the ability to think his way toward a conclusion with Kirk, instead of wanting to exercise that aforementioned blood lust/rage. He had every desire to live, but killing Kirk was all he could think of in that moment, instead of self-preservation (e.g., spinning around and making the rock vanish / disappear, etc..

Henoch and Gary Mitchell like this.
  3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I'd want to know what the space barrier did to my officers. I'd also want to confirm they were both dead. (No offense, Gary.) Kirk may have left Mitchell's body in the grave. But he wouldn't leave Dehner's body on the surface to rot. When crewmen died by the Salt Vampire and in Obsession, McCoy performed autopsies in both episodes. I hope Dr. Piper was just as thorough.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise obviously had extra shielding for the next time it crossed the barrier in By Any Other Name or we'd have had Godlike cubes rolling about the ship or power hungry Kelvans, oh wait we already had them!!! :lol:
    JB

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heh, good point - perhaps we only ever met the silvery-eyed variant of the Kelvan species?

The Barrier picks and chooses on whom it transforms. On both the Valiant and the Enterprise, only a few were converted to gods. A few were outright killed, but we don't know if this was a botched-up godhead conversion or mere "normal" death-by-space-adventure. The ones converted had esper abilities, but we don't really know if those truly were a factor in getting converted or just in avoiding getting killed. Spock may have been extra protected, or extra vulnerable, or merely lucky. Ditto for Miranda Jones.

Or then it's all in the eyes, and the double-lidded Spock and the blind Jones had it made...

Timo Saloniemi

marlboro likes this.
  6. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I'd watch that sitcom.....

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

And downstairs is their lonely and disgruntled landlord, Trelane.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Mitchell lost his powers in the episode and his eyes changed back to normal he looked like he was calling to Jim for help because he couldn't stop himself from being evil!
    JB

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  9. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Trelane is the annoying neighbor. Q is the landlord.

ZapBrannigan, Qonundrum and Galileo7 like this.
  10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Played by Norman Fell!

Marsden likes this.
  11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

And Don Knotts as Q?

Antonovus likes this.
  12. Antonovus

Antonovus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, James Kirk died in this episode. His dying brain was unable to take the trauma of an untimely demise. Therefore, it created an alternate fiction for itself in which Kirk holds a long successful Starfleet career. This is essentially why Kirk so easily conquers foes and manipulates situations in subsequent episodes. All future events are a manifestation of a dying ego comforting itself. In actuality, the happenings of TOS take place in a few micro-seconds before Kirk's death.

Noname Given and marlboro like this.
  13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, we need a dislike button. :klingon: :bolian:

JonnyQuest037 and Henoch like this.
  14. Antonovus

Antonovus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was meant to sound silly. Sorry.

15. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Given the <ahem>, "imaginative" theories people proffer on this board, I thought you were being serious :lol:

JonnyQuest037 and Antonovus like this.
  16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did wink. :beer:

Antonovus likes this.
  17. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not too different from the idea that everything after "The Cage" is an illusion in Spock's mind.

Antonovus and ZapBrannigan like this.
  18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always assumed he hadn't regained full power and was at the point he had to be aware and spend some time thinking to become 'protected'. Remember that even though her eyes were 'silver' again, Elizabeth Dehner STILL died (probably as a result of the 'lightning' exchange between her and Mitchel) - so yeah, BOTH were injured by the other; and that was enough for a Boulder (which pretty much completely pulped Gary Mitchel) to kill him.

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say completely. I do have an extensive hat collection though.

Marsden likes this.
  20. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

^ Mitchell did survive and he's posting on Trek BBS!!!! ;)

johnnybear, Gary Mitchell and Henoch like this.