Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Totally off topic, but I love the avatar

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Thanks. By happenstance, on the last day of Comic-Con, I was walking through the Sails Pavilion with Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore when I realized that Terrible Terry Tate, aka Triple-T, was signing autographs. Being as I am a huge fan of the "Terry Tate, Office Linebacker" videos, I had to get a photo. It is now among my prized possessions. :)

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

so that's who those two are...

*has no clue who the hell Terry Tate is...*

4. David Mack

^ This video ought to explain my fascination. :)

5. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

It still is all coming down to

"Enterprise, Titan and a few other ships magically stop the massive Borg assault within the pages and narrow time frame of a couple of novels".

Having a handful of ships (even those of the heroes) stop the Borg is idiotic.

I don't care how you handle it.

6. David Mack

And once again, thanks for the big vote of confidence. Hell, I don't need to go outside now to get a tan — I can just sit here and bask in the glow of your praise. Yeah, I'm feelin' the love.

Oh, wait, that's not what I'm feeling at all. ... Time for a head call.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No... it really isn't coming down to that.

So tell me, who wins the presidential election? And how does the whole global warming thing turn out? Since you seem to know the future and all...

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm not against complaining; I listed quite a few problems I had with Greater Than The Sum. But I do feel like you should at least read it first.

And if you've read Reap The Whirlwind, you should know that it's easily within the realm of possibility for a story like that to be absolutely stunningly awesome, when written by David Mack.

9. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The sheer tonnage of how wrong you are could stun a herd of oxen in its tracks.

10. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a lot of judgment from a guy who preaches in his signature. :rolleyes:

You redefine "Epic Fail."

[​IMG]

11. Causchy

Causchy Ensign Red Shirt

In the first (I think) post of a frequent lurker, I must say that I am impressed to not be the only person who drop's West Wing quotes in every day conversation.

I agree with you and the others who have disagreed with the poster who said that they dont even care how the situation is resolved. I too grow tired of the Borg, but every one of these books has been extremely enjoyable to me, so I am excited to see what someone else can do with it. There is a story to tell, and for all any of us know, it is a great one (though it could go otherwise). I will give Destiny the benefit of the doubt, though.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Oh, I drop Sorkinisms into conversation all the time. :)

13. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I'm basing my opinion simply on the facts about the books that have been already released publicly and mentioned earlier in this thread IIRC.

A massive fleet of Borg ships crushes a huge fleet of Federation ships leaving Enterprise, Titan (and couple of others) to attempt to halt the Borg threat.

They can't possibly stop the Borg.

Or can they...

It still comes down to the hero ships accomplishing within the short time frame of a novel what a fleet of hundreds of other Starfleet ships and tens of thousands of Starfleet personnel are unable to do.

14. David Mack

^ Ah, there's nothing quite like the absolute certainty of the utterly uninformed.

Do you really think that you can guess at the contents of a 300,000-word trilogy that I spent 18 months working on, when you know of nothing more than a troika of 125-word online blurbs that have already been discredited as "preliminary" content for the sales catalog, and not in fact the actual back cover copy? You couldn't be more wrong.

Please don't assume that because you lack the imagination to think of a way that such a narrative could work, that the imaginations of others must also be equally barren.

15. Thrawn

If you don't mind me asking a nerdy question, how does the length compare to Reap The Whirlwind? What was the approximate word count of that novel?

16. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Yes I do.

Presidential polling predicts the results of elections by polling 1,500 Americans nationwide out of over ONE HUNDRED MILLION voters.

So yes, I'm pretty certain I can predict the general content of your books based on the information thus provided.

Hey, don't get riled up.

I'm sure you worked hard on them.

If they turn out to be any good, I'll say so and apologize.

But I don't anticipate that.

17. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

^ IIRC - and I do this in a complete vacuum of sources - standard Trek novel length is 100,000 words, although This Grey Spirit felt to me like it had to be 200,000 or more, and I'd be surprised if Q&A was more than 75,000.

'Course, KRAD is actually in the thread, and he can probably pop into Microsoft Word right now and do a word count on the Q&A manuscript.

18. David Mack

Reap the Whirlwind clocked in at 124,000 words. For comparison purposes, Gods of Night runs roughly 96,000 words; Mere Mortals wrapped up at around 98,000; and Lost Souls finished at roughly 108,000 words.

And yet, as I have just explained to you in a previous post, you haven't. You've gotten it utterly wrong. Which kind of sinks your illogical presidential-polling analogy.

And gee, why would I get "riled up" that you're taking a figurative dump all over 18 months of my work without having actually read any of it?

19. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Polling is based off a representative sample (or supposedly representative), and still manages to fuck up on a regular basis. The back cover blurbs are not representative examples of the story (heck, they're not even written by David), and you've already been told that they're less than accurate. So how you expect this analogy to function is beyond me.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

20. Thrawn

Interesting; thanks. I can't wait :)