Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I, on the other hand, like the engines the best. I find the Coke-bottle shape intriguing...

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, Cryptic have just said the contest is for US citizens only. Shit. That's me out of the running then...

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2202

(search for anazonda, its about halfway down the page)

Ah well, say bye bye to my ship folks.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good to me :) :techman:

4. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

She looks excellent Dac!

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, I suspected as much.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats so unfair cus Star Trek is for the entire globe not just the USA :confused:

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the reasoning behind it is explained on the other side of said link.

8. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is sad, because there are a lot of of great designs that should be aloud to see this contest.

9. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

I don't know who made this, I found it online sometime back. But I've always thought this was the most beautiful starship design out there, and would make a perfect Enterprise J.

I'd love to see it finished and all polished up.

[​IMG]

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I don't like it.

I only like the engines...their very unique.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Titan Designer, I kinda guessed it was going to be this way, still, it managed to me get pondering my own Enterprise which was worth it i guess. I can't wait to see your finished design.

The Super Brando
    , I adore that design too. As you can probably tell, its influenced me in the design of my Enterprise. Come to think of it that one is probably a better fit for an E-F. I think I may have jumped the line of evolution a couple of steps with my design.

Saquist....erm, thanks, I guess...

12. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Well... it certainly needs some adjusting & polishing...

But in my eye, it's ungainly awkwardness is paradoxically the source of it's delicate grace!

I like the front and rear views a LOT. The engines are high and out of the way - the way you'd expect if you have something with really powerful and potentially dangerous engines powering your hot-rod machine.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like how you are all playing with nacelle supports and where they are rooted, and how they come out of hulls.

I like the side view of Seans, and the top view as well. As far as the nacceles branching out and away from the bridge in the other design, that also is unique.

I might have that as a mirror Enterprise design where the bridge crew can drop the rest of the ship in a hurry to escape while stranding pions in the lower decks.

Or you could have smaller nacelles or weapons pods there.

14. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion...

The engines could use some tweaking to make them perfect.
    Model your ship after the nacelles you created.

The best designs in Trek have incorporated the engine shape and theme in the rest of the design. (which may not be what the STO people are looking for btw)

Excelsior used straight lines black grilling and platforms in the Saucer, Neck and Stardrive.

Enterprise Class used Circles and straight lines and black grilling in the nacelles ,pylons and neck.

Galaxy used sweeping curves and very few lines.

I personally think the Nacelles are the most important part of the design, they have to be the right size compared to the ship which yours seem to be but they also need to look like they belong with the rest of the design.

believe me when I tell you that engine design you have is special. I'd work with it and it's taller stature sleak TRON like lighting and the blockiness. It's Both Bold and Beautiful.

(Good modeling work btw. What are you using?)

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, of course. I embrace suggestions. :)

As for the software, I use Cinema 4D. And although I appreciate your input, I doubt I'm gonna finish her if I can't submit it into the contest :p

Still though, I dug out the earliest WIP pics I saved (wish I saved earlier ones, but oh well) when I was still toying with the shape of the pylons, or rather the direction of the pylons. These are the same ones youve seen in the other pics (more or less) but just flipped around. The reason im showing you these, is because the nacelle was taller then, and I had an angled bussard collector which was much bigger, but I went back from that quickly when I realised just how big it was.

I've also included some comparisons with the Enterprise E, to show how I would have roughly scaled it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That does have an STO look to it.

17. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Join Bridge Commander Central and add this design to the Bridge Commander Game.

http://www.bc-central.com/forums/index.php

18. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, here's my very preliminary design for the new STO Enterprise:

[​IMG]

Obviously, I'm still tinkering with some of the hull configurations as you can see from the three different options, though I am currently leaning toward Option B.

As of right now, I have no plans to model this ship in 3D, both because I have too many other 3D projects going and because Cryptic will certainly do their own version anyway, whoever wins.

Thoughts?

19. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Very balanced but I don't care for the tug look from the side view.

The C version of the side view is better as it's not hogging up the entire underside of the saucer. Everything else here works especially the nacelles which let the ship stand out as unique and not mimicking anything we've seen in the past but with its own style and flare.

I give it 9/10

20. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Option B precisely because it's different than the usual configuration with the secondary hull further back. I did something quite similar on my old Titan design and always liked the look of it. There are some Grandeur influences mixed in there as well.