Deanna Looked Great in Her Uniform

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Arpy, Dec 9, 2019.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prophets: What is this 'Starfleet Uniform' you speak of?
    Deanna: It's a .... linear thing. You serve in Starfleet, you wear their uniform.
    Prophets <switching her to a scene in which she wears her usual outfit> Then why do you exist here?
    Deanna: I don't understand?
    Prophets: Your cleavage exists here.

Leviathan, FreddyE, Danja and 3 others like this.
  2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I love it when we get to see a character in standard uniform. Back in the 90s, that made for great action figures, as they followed a theme.

So, the shows have as Troi in a uniform in the later seasons, and Kira for a period of time. Seven wore one for “Relativity”, T’Pol in “Twilight”, and Neelix wore Operations gold in a few episodes.

In the non-canon game Star Trek: Trexels, Neelix is branded a counsellor and wears a Science division uniform, as does Kes.

Danja likes this.
  3. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I may be alone on this in preferring the "skant" from "Encounter..." to any of her other outfits. You have something that actually LOOKS like a uniform, including department color and rank insignia, and you have something that looks very attractive.

4. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:
    I literally just rewatched "Emissary" in the last 48 hours. (René Auberjonois tribute rewatch, FTW.)

ThankQ and Danja like this.
  5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now there's a valid point I rarely hear applied to this topic. Someone explain to me which one is the "Catsuit". Is it the one with the lowcut neckline, or the one that hugs her crotch? because if we use the term "Catsuit" I assume we get it from Catwoman, which leads me to the conclusion that we consider formfitting to be the defining characteristic. I'm no woman, but I can tell you just from esthetics, which I'd assume was more comfortable to wear, & it ain't the uniform
    [​IMG][​IMG]

NigellaDeanna20 and C.E. Evans like this.
  6. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Maybe she didn't wear a uniform because she did do some counseling with crew members, like with Ensign Brooks in 'The Loss'.

Deanna wearing a uniform might make her appear more difficult to approach, more military type. If she appears in more casual clothing in front of the crew, maybe it's easier for some to really tell her what they are feeling instead of hiding things in the fear how it might hurt their career.

NigellaDeanna20 likes this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Agreed, she looked more like part of the crew in a uniform. I will admit, her character never made much sense to me. I wish Star Trek had never en-mired itself with silly stuff like telepathy and ESP, but it's at the very core of the show and always will be.

The problem for actors in starfleet is they would be expected to have higher fitness standards then the average person. And those early season TNG outfits are hard for ANYONE to fit in.

G.R.

Qonundrum, Danja and KennyB like this.
  8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it's the main plot driver in both The Cage and WNMHGB, so I guess Roddenberry was pretty enamored with the idea and now we're pretty much stuck with it.

If they'd stuck with the jumpsuits we wouldn't have had what seemed like later season Riker and Worf's apparant competition to see who could get huskier.

9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I Was thinking while reading this and other comments, the other day I was looking up the history of uniforms in the US Coast Guard and its predecessor service, the Revenue Cutter Service and the US Navy. Because I am dull and deary and look up things like that.

but what i did find was that in the eariest days of those services, US navy surgeons did not get a uniform, or rather not a military uniform. Officers dressed in blue and surgeons on board were expected to wear something green. They would have supplied their own clothing. So there is precedent of caregivers specifically NOT being in uniform, even though the idea was abandoned historically about as quickly as it was on screen.

Markonian likes this.
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I think this is the one that people call the catsuit. I always preferred her in a uniform since she was a commissioned officer. It got worse with 7 of 9 and T'Pol to the point it was kinda embarrassing with the decon gel........Berman at his best.

Capture.JPG

11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Q: What color should her uniform be?

A: Early 80's Epcot Center

penguin44, ThankQ and Danja like this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there was a wedding, and she was naked, which is normal, but she had work just before or just after the wedding... Would she go to work naked to save time?

13. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

"Is Counselor Troi in?"
    "Line forms at the rear." :lol:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  14. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

This whole thread is so awkward!

Qonundrum and SolarisOne like this.
  15. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Markonian likes this.
  16. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, I get that... but again, apart from the color & the neckline, it's damn near the same garment as her season 7 medical uniform, a full body leotard. Whereas, I like the teal dress, because you know... it's not that entirely, which is to say, it looks more like... clothes

18. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, that could be a reason, but, as Al-Pharazon already commented early in the thread, then she probably still should have worn the uniform on the bridge, when she was there in her function as captain's counselor, and she could have worn her civilian clothing in her own office, in her function as a therapist.

The comment about there being historical precedent of "caregivers" wearing their own clothes is interesting.... however, I don't think we ever see any of the other "caregivers" on the ship (e.g. Crusher) do this while on duty?

In fact it seems as if no Starfleet member of Picard's crew but Troi had the liberty to do this (discounting Wesley but he wasn't in Starfleet "for real" yet). We never see Riker, Picard or any other officer on the bridge in casual clothing just because he/she doesn't feel like it that day - the only excuse seem to be having no time to dress up in an urgent situation, for example when being called up from the holodeck to the bridge immediately.

KennyB likes this.
  19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, what I'm about to say may be controversial. Or it may make perfect sense.

I hope it's the latter. :techman:

So.

Isn't Jellico telling Troi to wear the uniform, just a case of mister white patriarchal privilege telling a woman (and one from another culture, at that), that she can't express her individuality?

Most people seem to look at it from the point of view of: catsuit = sexism, sexism = bad, so Troi in uniform = positive.

But...

As others say, maybe Troi has professional reasons for her casual-wear.

Or, maybe, for all Jellico knows, she might have a cultural reason.

She changes into the leotards almost immediately after the Enterprise's first mission is complete, presumably wearing a uniform until she understood Picard was comfortable with her wearing casual clothing, but she keeps those types of clothes more or less all the way through to Season 6.

We know Betazoids have a culture of sexuality, and seem to have a matriarchal society to boot. My assumption has always been that her jumpsuits are Picard acknowledging and respecting that cultural background, allowing her to, as it were, be a Betazoid, rather than a Betazoid officer. It speaks to Picard's value system, his respect for her individuality and her cultural differences.

The only time we see her in a uniform between the pilot episode and season 6, is in Riker's illusionary "future" in the episode Future Imperfect. At all other times, we see her in varying types of casual dress.

When Jellico tells her to put on a uniform, he doesn't cite a regulation. He doesn't say that she has to according to some Starfleet protocol. No, he says he "prefers a certain formality on the bridge". She's forced to wear a uniform because her male boss tells her that he doesn't respect her being able to express her individuality. It's framed that way, not Starfleet's rules, but Jellico's rules. And, yes, we can see her choosing to subsequently continue variating the jumpsuits and uniform as her expressing some preference (or comfortability?) in wanting to wear it.

But at that moment, at that point in time, her freedoms as a Betazoid woman to wear whatever she feels comfortable wearing -- which no-one else has hithero ever questioned -- are being subjugated by a white, patriarchal figure who cares not a jot for respect, either culturally or to her as a woman, and basically telling her what to do. Not asking. Demanding.

I find that uncomfortable.

Maybe other's don't?

Am I wrong? :shrug:

Paul Weaver and Markonian like this.
  20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

and have to get up from those pleather lazyboy chairs? no way.

She's an officer on a ship. She gets to express her individuality on shore leave.