DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read Action #3 yet but I'm already getting a little bored with yet another "year one" storyline, now that the novelty of Superman wearing blue jeans is wearing off. I would have preferred Morrison did something more akin to "All Star"

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just read through that, and based on what I've seen here and around the 'net none of those come as much of a surprise to me. Honestly, non of those are ones that interested me, so I won't be that sad to see any of them go.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only DC New 52 books i'm getting are Justice League, Batman, Superman, Action Comics and Detective Comics.
    I really enjoyed the first two months of books from these 5 titles. But so far, this month, not looking as good.
    Both Action Comics #3 and Detective Comics #3 felt like place holding issues. Not much really happened. I'm starting to get my old worries of how DC was running things, where the stories had to insure being fit into a hardcover trade collection. It felt like that again with these two issue 3s.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think they're saying all ten books are gonna be cancelled. Those are just the books on their list that might be cancelled. Not all at once.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if these numbers include digital sales? I have to say that for people like me who live internationally this move has been great. Whereas before I would have obtained comics I wanted to read through alternative means, now I am spending more than twenty bucks a month on legit comics. I have also spent more money this past year on ebooks than I have spent on books in the past five years.

Perhaps the music scene should be taking note. I actually know an "honest" guy who technically breaks the law to pay for music on iTunes that he could more easily download from bittorrent. When I open iTunes, all I can legitimately purchase are apps.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still haven't gotten a chance to read any of the New 52 other than Justice League #1, but now that we've gotten at least 2 issue of each series I wanted to see what you guys thought of my picks.
    Really want:
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Aquaman
    JLDark
    Green Lantern Corps
    The Flash
    Wonder Woman
    Might Get:
    Batwoman
    Birds of Prey
    Unsure about:
    Batman & Robin
    Supergirl
    Suicide Squad
    The Savage Hawkman
    Green Lantern
    Superboy
    Frankenstein, Agent of Shade
    Green Arrow
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Supergirl
    Probably not:
    Catwoman
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    I'm planning on getting between 5-10 individual issues.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Must Reads
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Batwoman

I'd also add Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Frankenstein

If you are going to do Green Lantern, only get the main title, the rest aren't very good.

10. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kay.

Action Comics: you know, it would suck regardless, but it's in even worse taste to have your comic about social justice gouge its fans with a premium price point without providing equivalent value for those four dollars. Action Comics is evil (the story is fine I guess).
    Batman: Batman, hence bad.
    Aquaman: it's okay. I've soured on it since I read it, but when I read it I thought it was pretty good. It's very meta, in a bad way.
    The Flash: it's fantastic! Francis Manapul is some kind of god.
    Wonder Woman: it's really good.

Might get:
    Batwoman: might get? I might vomit in my own mouth. Buy it. J.H. Williams III is the god Francis Manapul worships.
    Birds of Prey: no idea, but the interiors apparently look a lot better than its covers. And previews of #2 indicate Katana acts really creepy crazy in a fun way. I kind of want to pick it up myself.

Unsure about:
    Batman & Robin: see Batman.
    Supergirl: I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they could hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you are just a man.
    Suicide Squad: thin Amanda Waller is abomination. Don't support abomination.
    Green Lantern: I've heard Hal Jordan's a stupid dick to whom bad things happen in it, ala Justice League. Is it $2 yet? Because Hal Jordan as a stupid dick to whom bad things happen is my favorite thing.
    Superboy: some people have liked it.
    Frankenstein, Agent of Shade: it's okay; rather unimpressive.
    Green Arrow: Krul and Jurgens, together at last! Wait.
    Supergirl: you wrote this twice. You have officially provided more Supergirl content than the actual Supergirl comic. Maybe start with issue 2, if you're curious enough to pay it. I can't imagine you being lost.

Probably not:
    Catwoman: sinful.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws: seriously, you'll go blind.

Also, buy Animal Man. It's by the same guy who did Frankenstein, except it's actually great and not a mediocrity that thinks it's way more clever than it is.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Right now these are the comics I intend to keep following:

Action Comics
    Superman
    Batman
    Batgirl
    and maybe Catwoman.

"Batman" is the only Batman title I've really enjoyed, "Detective Comics" doesn't seem to be doing anything real fantastic and artwork is inconsistent in quality and aesthetics. "The Dark Knight" is almost pure crap. Unlike others I actually like the Catwoman title so far and may continue to follow it.
    These are the comics I intend to follow through their first arc and then drop unless something wonderful comes along.

Action Comics has been interesting and good so far and I like it, Superman has been as well. I'm still not 100% sold on the direction they're taking with the character (I guess I like the boy-scout Golden/Silver Age Superman the best) but they've got be convinced that it could work.

Wonder Woman
    Detective Comics
    The Dark Knight
    Batman and Robin
    Supergirl

The latter three I picked up because it's Batman and none have captivated me. Wonder Woman I picked up simply because it's Wonder Woman but it's yet to really grab me beyond have pretty decent art work. Supergirl has been interesting so far but don't think it's likely I'll follow it beyond the first arc unless something grabs me to convince me to stick with it for the longer haul.

Then there's "The Flash" which I picked up out of curiosity but didn't impress anything on me one way or the other. Just wanted to see what they did with the character and what I saw I liked and found interesting but, for me, The Flash is a boring superhero. Being able to move fast doesn't inspire me with a lot of "wow factor" in superhero ability.

"Batwoman" 1 and 2 I picked up on mistake and I didn't really care for, some of the art in it was good but overall it didn't really grab me and the story I couldn't care less about. The comic lacked "fun."

12. Admiral_Young

My list has been reduced to the following:

Action Comics
    Batman
    Batman, Inc (when it returns)
    Batman and Robin
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Justice League
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Superman
    Stormwatch (this one is on the verge of being dropped)
    Teen Titans (although this is on the verge of being dropped)
    Wonder Woman

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't give a shit what Action costs or how many pages it has. It's worth the price.

14. Admiral_Young

I can't wait to see what Morrison has in store when we catch up to the present. The origin story has been outstanding so far!

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how many I'm going to keep supporting. Here is my projected list:

Batwing
    I, Vampire
    Justice League
    Suicide Squad
    Batman & Robin
    Action
    Aquaman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Voodoo
    Catwoman
    Static Shock
    Mr. Terrific
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps

Of this group the ones I've really liked are: Suicide Squad, I Vampire, Aquaman, and Batwing. I've thought Action, Superman, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Green Lantern, and Batman & Robin (second book at least) were good enough to finish their arcs. Still intrigued by GLC and Voodoo. Hoping Static Shock and Terrific will get better. I think Shock needs a much bigger overhaul though than Terrific. Terrific mainly just needs a better villain.

Will probably drop:
    Justice League International
    New Guardians
    Batman
    Detective
    The Dark Knight
    Nightwing (book isn't bad but there are just so many other books and I can't support them all)

Already dropped:
    Batwoman
    Flash
    Batgirl
    Fury of Firestorm
    Teen Titans
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Justice League Dark
    Grifter
    Captain Atom
    Stormwatch
    Red Lanterns
    Green Arrow
    Savage Hawkman

16. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the first month i picked up:
    Justice League
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Batman and Robin
    The Dark Knight
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Wonderwoman

Month 2 I dropped down to:
    Justice League
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Detective Comics

This month will probably be the same, since i'm enjoying those 5 titles so far.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, in October DC's ten worst selling titles were... (worst selling at the top)
    Men of War Blackhawks Static Shock OMAC I Vampire
    Voodoo Mister Terrific Hawk and Dove Captain Atom Ressurection Man

And their best selling top ten were...
    Justice League Batman Action Comics Green Lantern Flash
    Detective Comics Superman Dark Knight Batman Robin Wonder Woman

Fear Itself #7 only ranked ninth?! Ouch.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still reading: Justice League, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Demon Knights, JL Dark, Frankenstein, All-Star Western

Dropped: Justice League International

On the Bubble: Men of War (because of the price point, which exists to justify a sad back-up), Stormwatch, I Vampire, Swamp Thing

Thinking of starting in on: Flash, Batwing

19. Admiral_Young

It will be interesting to see what the second wave of New 52 heralds if anything and what DC's Summer 2012 event will be. Marvel has yet to reveal it's event but rumours and speculation have been that it will be big and involve five of their "Architects" on the project. DC's of course will be the first event in the 52 'Verse.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman #1 and #2: Great intro to the title character and I like both the look into her mythical past, which might not be so mythical afterall, as well as the developing story about the woman she rescued.

Titles I'll follow for the time being...

Batgirl (I think it's the best written of the bunch.)
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men
    Wonder Woman

The Batman and Superman titles have some interesting elements, but I'm still iffy on whether or not I want to continue. And I still have to read Voodoo and Justice League Dark.