DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's possible they knew Perez would only be on board for that arc. Launching the book with a big name in the credits is a sensible idea.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most fans though know Perez as a marquee artist not a writer. I remember doing a WTF when I read he was writing and had forgotten about his 80's run on Wonder Woman.

3. Nerys Myk

Still its "GEORGE PEREZ" in those credits, no matter what the job is.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

No. It just makes her a bit of a bitch. She's clearly aware of it. She just doesn't seem care enough to seek out a story from it.

Still, I think the only thing that's clear is that people are reading waay too much into her cameo appearance. Then again, I suppose that's what comic book readers do. :lol:

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they are running out of writers they can trust to put on their top book or the writers they have are refusing the jobs because of editorial mandates. Hawkman, Firestorm, Flash all have artists turned writers doing writing chores. Already Firestorm and Superman have their two writer-artists leaving and we know that Perez already had editorial conflicts after his name was announced for the Superman book.

7. Nerys Myk

Van Sciver's leaving Firestorm?

I was unware that there were conflicts between Perez and his editors.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Van Sciver leaves Firestorm I might have to give that book another chance.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fairness corner: Manapul knocked that shit out of the park. I'm not even going to qualify it with "especially considering it was his first comic." Flash #1 was just a solid piece of work. Made people with hundreds of comics under their belts look like scrubs.

I don't even know why anyone signed off on a Hawkman book that doesn't have anything to do with the only interesting aspect of Hawkman there is. Granted, I didn't read it, but that's accurate right? No mention of reincarnation? I don't think Hawkwoman is in it. It's just this bird man who hits people with a mace. The flying, the macing? The candles on the cake. You don't make the whole cake out of candle wax.

10. Broccoli

Plus, didn't Manapul have writing experience previously? Granted, nothing as high-profile as Flash, but I think he did come from a writing background.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My dim memory of some thirdhand account indicated it was his first writing gig. :p I suppose I could be wrong.

ETA: his Wikipedia bibliography suggests no previous writing experience. Could be incomplete; it actually suggests not a huge amount of drawing experience. So he's a double-wunderkind? I take it all back. Fuck Manapul. I hate people who are too talented. :(

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved that period when they were making full use of the fact that he had a number of past lives and could remember them - it gave it a sort of highlander/immortal warrior vibe which is far more interesting than this 'Hawkman as venom' angle they are now going for.

13. Broccoli

Well, I'm not 100% sure myself. According to this, apparently he did do some writing when he was at Top Cow.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl was fun. Stephanie Brown was snarky, and though some of her adventures were harrowing, there was an undercurrent of fun and hope.

Gail Simone's Batgirl is grim. Barbara Gordon is somewhat dour, and her adventures have been, thus far, rather dark. There's not a lot of fun.

Stephanie kissed Klarion the Witch Boy and hunted holographic Draculas with Supergirl. Barbara fights serial killers. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two books.

I disagree. I think the flying and the mace is the most interesting thing about Hawkman. The reincarnation is a late retcon that I think was wholly unnecessary. :)

I understand why the reincarnation angle was added -- it was to make sense of the hay that DC had made of the Hawkman concept thanks to multiple reboots of the concept -- but that's not why I read a Hawkman comic. I read a Hawkman comic because I want to see a guy, dressed up like a Hawk, flying around and beating the crap out of people with a giant spiky mace.

It also helps if said Hawkman is from the planet Thanagar. :)

But that's not a direction DC wants to go anymore.

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Much of this list only makes sense if the authors aren't reading the majority of non-Batman/Justice League titles. It's the usual comic book myopia.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i kind of see the point about the hard or soft rboot complaint but thats just becuase I think DC should have gone scorched earth and started from scratch with EVERYBODY instead of picking and choosing.

Also lets face it Dectective does seem to have gone a little too far with the body mutilation.

17. Admiral_Young

Here is their top ten things they like in the New 52.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-things-we-like-dc-new-52-111027.html

The link I mentioned in the other one was broken. I can't say that I agree with a lot of these, especially the keeping it fresh one. If they wanted it fresh then they should have went with a complete hard reboot. Start from scratch. Instead they seem to have wanted their cake and eat it too but attempting to please all sections of fandom by having a weird meshed timeline. It still remains the thing I dislike the most about the relaunch but that is just my opinion.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

If you think about it as an attempt to keep what "worked" (defined by what was popular or critically acclaimed), the half-boot would make sense. But if that were the case, it would seem fine to get rid of the last ten years of Titans books, but not the seminal Wolfman/Perez run. And again, giving us a new JLI with no apparent history intact - when the entire appeal of that produce IS nostalgia ... that makes little sense at all.

19. Admiral_Young

Again I should make it clear that I'm just stating my opinions. I'm glad that everyone else is enjoying the books that they are currently. I too am enjoying a good amount of them. I've come full circle and flip flopped because I was originally excited and extremely open minded to the announcement. As soon as details came about though and the books came out my opinion has soured somewhat. I guess I'm just not happy with how the process of this was executed. That's awesome though if others are enjoying the relaunch and have no problems with it.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

This JLI isn't meant to appeal to nostalgia. It's meant to be a continuation of the group from Generation Lost like Hawkman/Firestorm/Aquaman were springboarded from Brightest Day except here both writers: Giffen and Winnick aren't on the book and they gave the book to Jurgens. A similar thing happened to Hawkman apparently.