DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think, with Batman, a lot had to do with the fact that Morrison's overarching story wasn't completed. Given that Morrison is a heavy in the industry and his Bat-Story has proven popular, DC really couldn't do a Bat-Restart. Had Morrison's story been concluded, I suspect there would have been a complete retooling of Batman.

That said, Batgirl never really played into that storyline. As such, they could reset her to however they wanted w/o impacting anything Morrison wrote in any major way.

As for the Lanterns, Geoff Johns and Co. got to do what they wanted 5 years ago. There was no reason to change it now since they have that series where they want it.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

The important aspect of her origin is her as an ambassador from an island of Amazons. Whether she had no father, one or a dozen really isn't as important.

Otherwise in her comic&cartoon iterations she has had a full set of parents, in the comics it was a nameless caveman and in the cartoon it was Hades.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Wonder Woman
    She's been a demi-goddess before. Her grandfather was Ares/Mars in the Bronze Age and I think Byrne brought that back in his run

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "rising tide" aphorism is apt, here. Still, Marvel can't be happy about having, what, two titles in the top twenty last month?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Batwoman makes me happy, although I think I'd have been more pleased if Animal Man was higher. Flash is just about right, only three places down from where it should be. ;)

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Damnit for some reason Batman and Robin # 2 won't download to my iPad. Is anyone else having this problem?

8. Hound of UIster

The last time DC took the Top 20 was during BN and Marvel offered a special incentive Deadcool cover for ripped up returned covers of Blackest Night. They did the same thing for the DC reboot except I don't think they got many takers this time.

9. Nerys Myk

The couldn't make me take a Deadpool as toilet paper even if I had the runs.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd take a Howard the Duck or Devil Dinosaur book before a Deadpool book...and those are way down my list as well.

11. Nerys Myk

Gerber/Colan Howard is classic!

12. Hound of UIster

It was actually a special Deadpool cover for Siege. There was no actual Deadpool in the book.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batgirl: Is it just me or does this feel extremely underwhelming so far? I still think that Gail Simone is the right writer for this book but I don't agree with how she has decided (Or DC) to reintroduce Barbara. I understand that Babs would have some doubts about being back in the field. I also think it lame dragging it out about how she got her legs back.

Superboy: I'm conflicted about this. Mostly because the story seems weird too me, I'll admit that I'm not really liking the changes to Superboy. Perhaps as we progress things will become clearer with that regards. "Red" continues to be the most fascinating character within Project NoWhere. It would seem like she's one of an extremely few people within the organization that has any kind of ethics at all. Other than her, I'm pretty bored by this. The art is good though.

14. Hound of UIster

I'm convinced Simone hates the reboot and is trying to sink her career at DC and her books with some kind of Alan Moore passive-aggressive act. Because there is no way a writer of Simone's caliber can churn out something as badly written as #2 unless it was deliberate. The same goes for the abomination that is Firestorm.

Maybe she is the one jumping over to Marvel soon. Won't really miss her after this and the abortion of the last BoP book.

Frankenstein (5 stars) - This was probably the most improved of this week's #2s. I think Lemire is fast becoming the next Grant Morrison. It's a tragedy that he isn't writing Superman instead of Giffen because he has really demonstrated he can handle crazy high concepts like GM.

Batwoman (3 stars) - I think the interesting parts are the relationship between Maggie and Kate and the stuff with Cameron Chase. I have absolutely no interest in the Scooby-type mystery.

Superboy (3 Stars) - Fun book. Didn't realize that Rose was Rose Wilson aka Ravager.

SHIELD (0 Stars) - Literally just 22 pages of explosions and a few lines of dialogue. Extremely disappointing.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, it would appear that Simone has walked away from Fury of Firestorm.

16. Hound of UIster

She is undoubtedly the one thats rumored walking going over to Marvel then.

I hope they give her a Spidey book, Deadpool or Agent X.

At least it's not Lemire/Snyder/Cornell/Fialkov.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Myasishchev

You know, I actually kind of didn't dislike Firestorm. Oh well.

Who?

19. Hound of UIster

Fialkov is the writer on I Vampire.

The book was dead on arrival frankly just judging by the preview pages and the reviews for it.

I think DC should have used Clevinger of Atomic Robo fame instead of Simone and Van Sciver.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/05/what-brian-clevingers-firestorm-1-would-have-been-like/

His pitch certainly was ambitious imo.

20. Myasishchev

Oh, yeah. I liked that book.:lol:

I guess he was right. :shrug: