DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Give it 15 to 20 years and you'll likely see DC revert to something like the post Crisis era; by that time, the kids who grew up in that time frame will be in charge while the ones now at the top will be fading out.

Of course, that assumes we'll have a DC Comics market in 15 to 20 years.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this is actually the perfect example of why it can sometimes be a bad thing when a fan gets to be in charge of this kind of a franchise. They get to turn it into their ideal version, which often involves bring back alot of the things that they were fans of when they were kids, whether it's good for the characters or not.
    Sometimes I think it's almost better to bring in someone who doesn't have 20 years worth of baggage attached to those characters.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember being outraged that the Flash TV Show starred a dead man, and that was barely 4 years after the original Crisis. 4 years used to be a long time.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I agree, Azzarello is writing a much better Wonder Woman story than self professed fans like Jimenez and Heinberg. Their works were filled with decades of Wonder Woman baggage as well as a necrophilic attachment to the old TV show. Azzarello's story has stripped down the backstory and gone with a new take on the character. It's not always to my taste, but it is a better crafted story than the groaning baggage of fanwankery that longtime fans at last having their dream opportunity which writing the book seems to bring.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It really doesn't since much of his comics exposure happened after CoiE and that his favorite Flash is Wally West not Barry Allen. And of course ignores the fact that Didio is the driving force behind the return of Barry Allen and Hal Jordan and the uncrippling of Barbara Gordon.

That is Geoff Johns in a nutshell, isn't it?

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Legion of Superheroes suffered because of Levitz's inconsistent writing and frustrating plots that seemed to go no where...at least that is what it was like pre-relaunch and the first arc post relaunch. I unfortunately had to drop the book and haven't picked it up since. It's too bad because this is something that Geoff Johns brought back that I absolutely loved. I'm sure the book will return at some point, the Legion always returns!

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

not surprised by Demon Knights. it had been suffering from low sales for some time now. shame, it was a fun book. Legion...yeah, i have to agree with Admiral Young. it was a mediocre book. i'd say they will wait a bit and then relaunch it though. can't keep the Legion down for long.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

^ Fingers crossed.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Not another Legion relaunch... I think they would be best served in that by just starting over from the beginning(yes again) Just the original three and go from there. Otherwise to many characters and planets and so on for any new readers to just jump in.
    I stopped Demon Knights after the first arc but it was a fun read there. Threshold I think suffered from just being a book with unknown characters in it. Tossing in a Guy Gardner from the start say would have helped out a lot.
    Dial H was just a bizarre title and would have been an excellent Vertigo book.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Demon Knights but bailed when they started canceling other "Dark" books on me. Frankly surprised it lasted that much longer. I figured it to get the axe in the prior round. I may get the last two TPBs now.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was basically a Vertigo. I think it even had Karen Berger editing. Of course Time Warner has pretty much killed Vertigo.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I picked up one issue of Dial-H because it tied in with an issue of The Flash and it was definitely very weird.

14. Saga

the last issue of Sword of Sorcery was really good. hope Amy and Eclipso show up in Justice League Dark.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, a really great last issue of Sword of Sorcery.

Of course if the title wasn't ending it would've been nice to explore the new family dynamic. How do you proceed with an Aunt that was trying to kill you but only circumstances prevented her from acquiring the Amethyst power in totality. I kinda see it as a type of parallel with Arthur and Orm in Aquaman on some level from a narrative perpective.

The shakeups and new Lords and Ladys in the other various houses due to this last arc. What other ties to Earth might there be, Eclipso was an interesting retcon I thought.

This title met it's end to early imo.

17. Admiral_Young

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well hell, that sucks!

ncc71877:klingon:

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Earth 2 is off the rails into snoozeville.

The first 6 issues were great, but there's no bite anymore.

20. Saga

Earth 2 is one of my favorite books. the pacing is weird at times, but i love all the JSA characters. wonder who will take over and if they will go forward with spin off books from that universe.