DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have working theories on two of the anonymous creators (specifically, the first and third), but they're so speculative that it wouldn't be fair to say who they are. The thing that characterizes the first and third is that they're clearly people who worked for DC across the New 52 divide.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sounds like something Conjob would do.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I was reading and enjoying Sword of Sorcery. Entertaining title I will be sad to see go.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably not, but the Lantern and Superman titles will probably become a creators graveyard soon.

6. Admiral_Young

They look like they already have aside from "Superman Unchained".

7. Hound of UIster

Not to the level of pre-DCnU when they had Busiek, Waid and Guggenheim solicited for Superman/Action issues only to retract them because of last minute "changes". I'm sure it'll happen for GL eventually since Idelson is probably the worst editor at retaining talent (and best for alienating them).

8. Admiral_Young

It's kind of become like a weekly sitcom at times over there...doesn't look like it will get any better either. It'll be amazing if Lobdell's "Superman" title becomes the only stable title in the line...lol. Although as you pointed out before, Daniel could very well be named permanent writer/artist on "Action Comics".

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that he's already said he's not going to be. He's scripting issues #20 and #21 from Diggle's plot, and then he's also off the book to work on another DC project.

Though I guess it's possible that Daniel could stay on the book if offered a longer run.

10. Admiral_Young

^ That's what I was referencing and what House of UIster had stated to me before.

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time to start petitioning for Brian Q Miller on Action.

12. Admiral_Young

Only if he's still able to do Smallville Season 11! Jeff Lemiare would also be acceptable as well.

13. Hound of UIster

Was his run on TT any good? If so he might be a tolerable replacement.

14. Admiral_Young

Aquaman #18: Another fine issue as Arthur re-establishes himself as King of Atlantis, and we meet New 52 Tula I think for the first time. Not all is well though in Atlantis as General Murk does not trust Arthur and still thinks of Orm as King, while Mera gets into trouble on the surface. I really wish we would get a Mera ongoing or mini-series.

Superman #18: As much as I have wanted to dislike this under Lobdell...he has been doing some decent work since he took over as the permanent writer of the book. First issue post-H'el and it felt pretty grounded, and featured some Cat Grant hijinks! Guest artist as well this issue as Rocafort only did cover art...and New 52 Orion is awesome! :)

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't read his TT run, but his (Stephanie Brown) Batgirl was great and his current work on the Smallville book has been pretty sweet as well.

16. Admiral_Young

Batman Incorporated #9: The last two issues are probably my favourite so far of the "season season". Bruce obviously is mourning his son, and "dismissed" Alfred...while the city has banned Batman from operating in Gotham, forcing Batman Incorporated to operate underground. The full scope of Talia's plan is becoming clearer as well as escalation continues, and the last page...you could just feel Bruce's pain...and I nearly lost it during the "Bat Cow" panel. :(

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Superman #18 after the brief interest generated by the Hell on Earth story, it immediately goes back to being absolutely uninteresting...

Bat Inc #9 what really threw me here was the "Leviathan has occupied Wayne Tower for two days now" bit. If a super villain global organization was sitting there for two days, why didn't Superman and the Justice League show up to help? It's been two days!

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I enjoyed the issue as well and look forward to (if) Cat and Clark doing their news blog/site. Art was good but I hope Rocafort returns as I really enjoyed his art during the H'El arc.

Also interesting to see Superman appear before Congress, expressing concerns over the Fortress of Solitude.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

What did he say?

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

First time I'm aware we've seen Tula since the relaunch. I keep enjoying this series. Every Aquaman hater should give just one arc a try to realize he doesn't just talk to fish and ride giant seahorses. I'm looking forward to the inevitable clash with Murk. Also, having Murk and/or Tula break Orm out is likely to happen. How Arthur deals with the scavengers should be interesting. Also, I'm not entirely sure who that was on the last panel coming for Mera? Her father? The King of Xebel maybe?

Justice League Dark #18 - wrapped up the extra dimensional storyline set in the city of Epoch where magic is outlawed. The surprise for me what that Tim Hunter's dad is a very accomplished mage himself who actually turns the tide of things. A destructive force of unused magic has been building around Epoch and threatens to tear the city, the planet, everything to bits ad-mist the law of Epoch waging a war against the mages and faeries of the land. Tim, led by his dad, channels this reservoir of energy out of the planet and into space saving everyone. Except Madame Xanadu who still needs to get back to Earth cause she's near death with her immortality reversed during their time in Epoch. I see parallels with the Hunters and the Winstons aka Princess Amaya/Amy and her mom from Gemworld.
    Constantine and the group turn down Trevor's offer from ARGUS and he says he's making a mistake cause he's making a foe in the Justice League. Which I didn't quite get cause didn't Trevor reveal that around ARGUS their pet name for this group of mages was Justice League Dark. Be curious to see where this book goes now and how, it at all, it's affected by Constantine's own ongoing. Anyone else like to see Shade the Changing Man come back for an arc?