DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

There is something that bothers me about Batman and Robin: Damian should never have been fooled by the fake Batman for a single second. He would have known right away that it was not his father, because Damian has demonstrated plenty of times that he is his father's son.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Which is one of the reasons why I dropped the book due to Tomasai's inconsistent writing and apparent lack of understanding of Damian.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Joker's face being cut off was at least partially Snyder's request. When the early issues of New 52 were being planned, the Bat-editors wanted to keep some of the big villain names out of the picture for a while to give the writers time to develop some new villains of their own. Tony Daniel offered a few suggestions on how to remove Joker, one of which was Joker's face getting cut off. Snyder then requested that idea, because he thought it would tie in well with the story he was planning for post-"Court of the Owls."

I'm not saying that that makes the idea better, just clarifying that it wasn't only Tony Daniel involved in the decision. :)

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Damien was drugged as well, so he wasn't in his full capacity.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair his mother should have had him on drugs a lot already building up his immunity to sedatives and poisons... That is if his morning regiment isn't to take a bunch of anti toxins after he brushes his teeth.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Like all kids in Gotham City he's likely on a healthy regiment of Ritalin and Venom.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So Vibe is going to be the Earths Multi-verse border guard. I may have to pick this up now just to see who will be dropping into our Earth from the multiverse. At least the premise is better than Vibe street level crime guy.

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I am sad that Vibe just started to look interesting to me. I'm a sucker for multiverse stuff. At the same time, since Karen Starr has spent five years looking for a way back to Earth-2, and her operation looks very sophisticated, we ought to get an explanation for how she never stumbled across the weakened threshold at Detroit.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's because she never researched the Power of Breakdance.

10. OdoWanKenobi

Ha! Way back in Nightwing's first arc, I commented that someone should have noticed that Nightwing had a connection to Haley's Circus, when he cropped up in every city it visited. Turns out I was right. The Joker noticed! I feel smart.

Also, has it always been a thing that Nightwing has to get stabbed in every issue, and bounce back like nothing happened? It seems like it's been a trend for him since New52.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

All three Green Lantern titles came out today, and I finally felt like the "Third Army" is going somewhere now, apparently because it's ending in the next issue! What a weird story. It was just random stories of random attacks and now all of a sudden it's almost over? I think that was probably my favorite issue of New Guardians because it actually felt relevant to the larger franchise.

12. OdoWanKenobi

It was great to see something finally freaking happening in the Green Lantern titles.

13. Admiral_Young

Maybe the stabbings some kind of nod that Didio wanted to kill off Nightwing in Infinite Crisis ;)

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Yeah, I suppose that's true.

Getting Wonder Woman and Batwoman this week, probably Sword of Sorcery.

Anyone else read Threshold? I thought the first story started well, very Giffenesque, but petered out a bit towards its cliffhanger. The Larfleeze I could take or leave: I think his one Christmas special was about as good as a Larfleeze solo story can be.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was very good. Very much like his Star Lord.

16. OdoWanKenobi

GL:NG Annual was so awful that I was pretty much turned off Threshold before it began.

17. Admiral_Young

There are rumours going around that Keith Griffen is already departing "The Legion of Superheroes" after two issues. LOL.

Justice League #16: I still continue to be amazed at the difference since Jim Lee has left. Tony Daniel's artwork is sensational and Geoff Johns is doing some of his best work. I kind of wish this had been the quality of writing from the start of the book. We're in "Aquaman" territory with Johns and not just because he is writing an Aquaman arc. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the Atlantean arc right now. The last page where Vic calls in reinforcements...was awesome. I guess we're also continuing to see the seeds of the Trinity War as well right now.

Wonder Woman #16: This continues to be my favourite book of the New 52. It's just so good. The New God story continues to be fascinating, and the dynamic between all the characters is great. I absolutely can't get enough of Cliff Chiang's art as well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Throne of Atlantis" is definitely the best written story of the New 52 Justice League so far, I'm actually into it!

19. OdoWanKenobi

You mean Ivan Reis, don't you?

20. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013