DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read Superman # 15 based on Trekker's recommendation and...amazingly enough found myself liking it. The art work as usually with Kenneth Bocafort is simply stunning. I love this man's work. The writing is typical Scott Lobdell, only he seems to be actually writing an actual arc here which is surprising, and his characterization of Superman is bang on, same with Superboy, and Luthor. I absolutely love New 52 Lex Luthor. Trekker was right as, the issue implied that there has obviously been additional major conflicts between Lex and Superman and even one where Clark was I assume close to killing Lex since he has scars.

I also notice that we may have an explanation for Superman and Superboy's presence on Krypton as Clark mentions H'el wants to go back in time. The only thing I didn't like was the monologue about Clark's feelings about Diana. They've not spent that much time together, I'd hardly call her his "beloved". I did like the mention that only Batman knows about them :) Rao...I might continue with this book.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Those weren't Clark's thoughts, but rather Diana's.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The going theory I've been seeing is that Lex managed to push Supes to the very brink of his moral limits where he shot at Lex with a blast of heat vision, possibly with the intent to kill him, and Lex survived with the heavy scars. So Lex now represents to Superman how far he's gone against his own moral code of not killing. Superman's visit to Lex wasn't so much about getting information but seeing this side of himself again to conclude if he can go that far again should he need to kill H'El. In the start of this arc we see Superman shirtless from behind and even see he has some scars are his back/shoulder blades. Possibly also due to the encounter. (Heavy enough where they've either not healed at all due to Superman's powers, or are taking a long time to heal. Though when we see this Superman has been underground for sometime testing his limits for a Dr. Veritas (sp?) and has drained his "solar battery" so it's possible the encounter was "recent" to that event and his body was still trying to heal.

Liked the use of Superboy in this issue (if it wasn't clear, H'El almost killed Superboy since he's an abomination (clone of Superman and a human) but Superman saved his life, but Superboy is currently wearing Superman's Kryptonian Armor to "heal." Leaving Superman to his old jeans/t-shirt costume.

I've seen others take issued with the "beloved" bit from WW too, but it didn't bother me as much. The two have more of a history together than just what we've seen since their kiss in the JL book (#11?) which started their current romantic interests. It's possible, at least for her, it's been "love at first blush", the kiss sealing her feelings towards Supes.

I look forward to any future issues that does deal, directly, with the previous encounter between Superman and Lex. The art in the book does continue to be really, really, good. I didn't like it at first when this artist started but I've grown to like it. At first it seemed too rough and sketchy, sort of like story boards or costume/wardrobe sketches. But I've grow to really like the quality it has.

But, man, the highlight of this book is clearly the use of Lex and how he comes across. I mean, wow. This is the best version of Lex Luthor I think I've seen (including print AND film/TV) in a very, very long time.

4. Admiral_Young

Yeah sorry, those were indeed Diana's thoughts which make them even worse. I don't see Azzy's Diana calling Clark "her beloved" at this point in their relationship at all. In fact I don't see Azzy acknowledging their relationship at all in his book, but it was a minor nitpick on my part.

I agree Trekker, it would seem that Lex's scars were heat vision induced. This is the first time I've seen this version of Superboy not be annoying as well.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I now see, belatedly, that some of the early New 52 issues are already being published in hardcover form. Does anyone know of any good sites that review these books as books, rather than issue by issue? :)

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Neat, thanks. :)

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I've been going back through some of my Green Lantern trades, and it's really been making me lament the current state of the GLC book. It's essentially become the Guy Gardner show. While I love Guy, he's not what made GLC so awesome during Tomasi's original run. It was the fact that, while Guy and Kyle took the spotlight, it really was about the whole Corps. Vath and Isamot have only appeared in what are essentially cameos, and not even together. Their unlikely friendship was one of the best elements. Have we even seen Soranik, Arisia, or Sodam since the the New 52? Maybe they don't want to deal with Soranik's relationship with Kyle, since Jade no longer exists. Heck, even Kilowog barely appears. Kilowog! The most popular non-human Lantern there is has barely a bit part in this book. Oh man, I would really like to see a return to the ensemble that made this book awesome. It's really been missing some magic since the New 52.

9. Admiral_Young

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Andy Diggle wrote the awesome Adam Strange mini-series almost 10 years ago. I haven't read much of his work since, but if he can write half as good on Action Comics as he did on Adam Strange, it'll be a great run.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am definitely going to stick with Action, but I would really like DC to develop a five years earlier Superman series, maybe with back ups from around the rest of the universe, to fill in the background stories of the nuDCU.

12. Admiral_Young

I still want a "Smallville" (you don't have to call it that since we have Smallville Season 11 going on right now) type mini-series (probably nothing longer than a four or five issue mini-series) that fills in what happened in New 52 Clark's youth up to him first developing his powers. I know I might be in the minority here, but under someone like Jeff Lemaire it would be pretty awesome.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It could tie in to the Secret Origin of the Legion mini from last year, maybe pick up where that book left off.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After looking through some of the rewviews around the web, I don't think I'm going to bother with BOP or Suicide Squad (I like Harley, and the whole villains working for the good guys idea , so I was thinking about trying it) since nobody seems very fond of them. I'm thinking about about starting with Batman, Aquaman and JLD.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Those would be good starts.

The other thing I want is a Grant Morrison written Legion of Superheroes. The snippets of them we've had in Action Comics so far have been awesome.

Also, pretty sure I've found a writer to replace Paul Levitz on Legion of Superheroes...Sholly Fisch, with Chris Sprouse on art. The back up story was interesting!

Action Comics #16: Grandiose is a word that I think would describe this issue nicely. Also this isn't what I expected, it was pretty awesome. Morrison's story is coming together quickly now as all the parts are in place for next month's grand finale. Rags art was spectacular as usual. His Lois is stunning.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Morrison on Legion would be great. i can only imagine the places he could go.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting that there were a couple of post-Zero Hour Legionnaires in Morrison's LSH flashforward--Umbra and the snake Projectra.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, did Action #16 confirm or deny the Doomsday / Death of Superman storyline? They seemed to reference it, but then also it seemed to be part of a fictional past that the Little Man made? We already know that the Steel and Superboy have different origins now so clearly "The Return of Superman" story, if it exists, went VERY differently.

19. Admiral_Young

It confirmed it. Though it happened differently in the New 52 and was known as literally "Doomsday". The Little Man altered the present day to remind of them/recreate that day is how I took it. "The Death of Superman" in the five year time line took place in year two I believe lol. I still don't understand how they think the five year timeline isn't a constraint on what stories they can tell. Unless one of the purposes of the New 52 is for stories to focus in just that time period. Anyway...it happened.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Levitz is only going to let them pry LoSH from his cold dead hands.

Anyone would be a godsend and there is a long list of people who could do wonders with the franchise starting with Morrison.