DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I sampled most of the extended Bat-family and Batgirl is the only one I'm still with.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Just as long as Synder stays on Batman, I'm cool. I'm really looking forward to his Man of Steel, too. I am hoping that Lee doesn't do to that book what he did to Justice League (make a talented writer turn in sub-par work.)

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not going to happen. He wants to co-plot and write, but he doesn't have the ability. I think the only reason he couldn't control the direction of Hush was because Loeb already wrote or plotted the entire thing beforehand.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Hound of UIster

Most people have already guessed it.

6. Admiral_Young

Batman #15 was pretty awesome. Joker's mind games seem to be doing their job and affecting the Bat Family as Bruce reveals a secret to the rest of them. So does anyone think that Joker was telling the truth and Bruce is simply downplaying it to the gang? Bruce seemed adamant that Joker was not telling the truth about knowing who they were...although his actions would seem to disprove that. Greg Capullo's art work continues to be just beautiful. I have continued to be impressed with his work all through this book, and hope that we will get a DC Collectable figure depicting his art.

As for tomorrow, just Wonder Woman #15 and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #5 DC wise.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They say that the most dangerous lie is the lie we tell ourselves. I feel like Bruce is deluding himself, and he's too close to the problem to realize it.

8. Admiral_Young

I believed that to be the case as well, despite his flat out refusals when Dick and Tim asked him and continued to do so he continued to deny the possibly. While Bruce is known to lie and keep secrets at times, I don't think he would in this case, unless like you say, he was just flat out being deluding himself because of the ramifications of what Joker told him.

9. OdoWanKenobi

Did Batman R.I.P. still happen? Because Bruce had his mask off right in front of the Joker during that. If that story still stands, then there should be no doubt whatsoever that the Joker knows who Batman, and by extension the rest of the family are.

10. Admiral_Young

All of Morrison's run prior to the New 52 relaunch was supposed to have carried over (except for the Final Crisis bits I assume, since that never happened) according to Mike Marts.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

But if Final Crisis didn't happen, then Batman didn't get sent back in time and have his apocalyptic vision of hte future he just referenced in Bat Inc, and Dick wasn't Bats with Damien, and Doctor Hurt was connected to Darkseid, and...

Ugh. I hate New 52. :p

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Just because Final Crisis didn't happen, that doesn't mean that Darkseid didn't send Batman back through time, it just means it happened in another way.

Yeah, that's reaching. ;)

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The only way any of the Batman stories make sense in the new 52 is if Batman Inc is considered not to be a part of it.

Once again, DC f***s up a reboot, despite Jim Lee's saying that they were not going to f*** it up.

14. Admiral_Young

What Turtletrekker stated. Bruce's vision what he revealed in the last issue of "Batman Incorporated" was probably Morrison's retconned plan of whatever he originally intended that got altered thanks to bits and pieces (which is what I said...the Batman related RIP stuff still occurred) of Final Crisis not happening. We'd essentially been waiting to find out what exactly Bruce "saw" during his time trip, and what he revealed to Damian wasn't exactly what I thought it would be at first, but makes complete sense and ties in to the beginning of Morrison's run.

"Batman Incorporated" is supposed to be part of The New 52 given the costume Bruce is wearing, and we've seen others wearing their costumes (except for Jason of course). I suppose certain elements of "Batman Inc" could be considered New 52 as well. I believe Morrison and Marts have commented on it's status within the 52 continuity but have forgotten what it was.

This kind of stuff gives me a headache :)

15. OdoWanKenobi

Well, Nightwing leaves no doubt at all that Bruce is in denial. The Joker knows that Nightwing is Dick Grayson. There's no room for any uncertainty in this.

16. Hound of UIster

Wonder Woman was amazing this week. Azzarello's writing here evokes the wonder that Kirby brought to the New Gods. The scene between Orion and Milan is definitely hisThor in the Soda Shop moment.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  17. OdoWanKenobi

^Joyride! :D

New Guardians was also pretty good this week, with Kyle learning to harness his inner greed. More Larfleeze is always fun, but why the heck did he have goat horns in this? Did Kuder forget what Larfleeze is supposed to look like? Also, a fairly major event for any Lantern fan happens in this issue: the apparent death of Sayd. This also looks like it may be the catalyst for bringing the real Ganthet back, though.

18. Admiral_Young

Wonder Woman continues to be my absolute favourite New 52 book. I echo House of UIster's sentiments. I REALLY want a Cliff Chiang Diana figure :)

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WW has been really great thus far, so i'll give em the benefit of the doubt about this take on the New Gods.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral