DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Quick question about the Justice League book: is it still in the past? Did we jump forward? I don't remember.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Justice League moved to the "present" in issue 7.

3. Professor Zoom

Right.

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^but nothing exciting has happend yet except we learned Superman likes to float around behind the group.

5. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I was just about to say. The group feels/sounds exactly like they did five years previously. Dynamics change over time... but... here... couldn't tell the difference. That's why I had to ask, I honestly wasn't sure.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Probably because Geoff Johns continues to write them the same way he did in the opening arc.

Wonder Woman #11: This continues to be just awesome. Honestly this is moving into my number two spot over "Batman" on my favorite of the New 52 books. Just the writing and usage of the Greek Gods alone makes this book awesome. Plus I really do love the Cliff Chiang art work. Say what you will about him, but I believe he really is key to this book and it wouldn't be as enjoyable if another artist was on it.

7. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else think the Joker "Death of a Family" arc is about the be delayed, given events in Aurora?

8. Admiral_Young

The "Death of the Family" arc is starting in October.

9. Derishton

Oh, I thought it was the next big arc after Owls. Still, I can't seem much publicity being bandied about right now. I could see certain sections of the media still running with the idea of DC doing a nastier Joker story only a few months after Aurora.

Before anyone tells me it was already planned, yes, I know. But Bane is from the 90s and Rush Limbagh still thinks it's an attack on Romney, so ...

10. Admiral_Young

It is the next big arc after the Owls but it doesn't start until issue #13 which comes out in October. We have issue #12 next month, then the zero month issue in September.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In contrast, in the fall of 2001, the Superman titles were involved in "Our Worlds at War," which caused significant damage to Kansas, Washington, and Metropolis, as well as other places around the world. Adventures of Superman #596, which hit newsstands on September 12, 2001, dealt with the fall-out of the war and the destruction it had caused.

In an opening scene, LexCorp Towers is shown badly damaged. Many saw LexCorp Towers as oddly similar to the World Trade Center. DC offered shops the ability to return the issue, though as the link above explained, few copies were returned. In an October issue of JSA, Solomon Grundy punches the head of the Statue of Liberty and sends it flying into NYC. I don't remember anyone complaining that it was "too soon" after the destruction of other landmarks. Ultimately, comics serve as escapism and I think people want to read about fictional things and how heroes overcome the villains.

I'm sure we'll get a page about the tragedy. Maybe even a few quotes from creators and publishers. But, by the time the issue hits in October, sadly this won't be as prevalent and the world will go on. At the most, some groups might complain about the level of violence in comics, but, that too will fade away.

Ultimately, you have a large number of people, including those in the theater Thursday night/Friday morning who find inspiration in the heroics of Batman versus a significantly smaller number of people who find inspiration in the villains. I don't think DC should cater to those afraid of the second group.

12. Derishton

I don't think so, either. I don't think the Joker should be delayed, but I also don't really think the premieres in London and Paris should have been cancelled. It seems to me that a Joker-related Batman arc might be seen differently, and in fact noticed by the media, in a way that the media wouldn't have noticed anything going in the comics in 2001. But I hope they don't, obviously.

13. Admiral_Young

I doubt DC will delay it. If the arc was starting this month or even next month, then I could see them doing something, with it starting in October I don't see them doing anything like this.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. Admiral_Young

Can't say that I'm shocked. I thought it would end around that time anyway. He has said before that he'll be ending "Batman Incorporated #12" and it will conclude his Batman run. I'm really looking forward to whatever his Wonder Woman project is going to be. I also wonder who will replace him on the book.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Bugger. The one great thing coming out of the New 52, and it's ending. Well, maybe it won't be quit as bad, maybe they rehire Joe Kelly.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So it will be scanned and on-line by tomorrow night.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Precisely.