DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

#10 is what we've been discussing. Didn't the companies used to have "try-out" books? Using DC Presents as a means to introduce creators and concepts would be a great idea.

#9, I disagree with. I don't think anything would be gained at this point from another Crisis. I know we'll see one eventually, but for now, I'm content to let this universe grow on its own. I do agree we need to see more parallel Earths. Tie this with the DC Presents idea...let's have that book focus on various Earths as well.

#8, why not use Stormwatch as the rival group? We've already seen a confrontation between the League and J'onn. Members of Stormwatch have already hinted they are not fond of the League. The seeds are there.

#6, QR codes would a great way to do "Who's Who." Or maybe add in incentives for digital copies by including "Who's Who" pages.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If by 'Crisis' they mean an earth 1/earth 2 team up (ie what DC meant by Crisis pre-1986) I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea. After all thats more or less how earth 2 was introduced back in the 50s/60s

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

DC stated that Final Crisis would be their literal final crisis...and of course that could change at any time, but I don't think we'll see any titles with the word "crisis" for a while. This upcoming Trinity War story arc seems to be their first big New 52 "event".

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Animal Man Annual #1 which states it takes place right after Animal Man #9.
    This is really the last prelude issue to the Swamp Thing/Animal Man crossover.
    The tale is about the last most recent time that agent of the Red and Green had to "team up" to stop the Rot from usurping more power than it's entitled.

So Buddy Baker is an agent of the Red. I've been trying to figure this out. He's not just a lone totem, he's tied up in the Parliament etc etc.
    I'm still learning about AM, have prior versions had him as an "Agent of the Red" before as well.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He is not a totem. His daughter is the totem. He is just the agent of the red.

I think it's also implied the true totem of the rot isn't Abbey or her brother, but Anton Arcane, the recurring nemesis of the Swamp Thing.

Edit: The Red was introduced by Moore back in Swamp Thing, Buddy as the Swamp Thing equivalent in the Red was introduced by one of the Vertigo writers that followed Morrison.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Buddy is just supposed to be the "bodyguard" for the totem.

7. Captain Craig

I came to that conclusion as well about Anton Arcane. His arrival in the series has mirrored Shredder's in TMNT in that they built the suspense for someone so big.

Thanks for helping me out with some of the players in AM and how they operate as totem vs avatars and the such.

8. Admiral_Young

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally read the "Superman of Earth 33" issue of Action - thought it was very clever and enjoyed it a lot. I'd like to see a follow-up, which it looks like Morrison may have been setting up.

In fact Morrison ought to take occasional excursions, maybe once or twice a year, on to these other Earths - kind of like the old Imaginary Stories of the Silver Age.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'd like that. One of the things I like about Morrison is that he explores ideas... he doesn't feel locked into to a format. Wish more writers took chances.

11. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would Resurrection Man be worth looking into?

12. Captain Craig

^^^^^^
    I've been enjoying the book and I didn't read it's first run in the 90's outside a crossover issue or two.

The DARK line has been quite consistent imo.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That is like a non-story. Jim Lee lasting close to a year was probably the most amazing thing.

Actually he has a whole mini planned to explore the Multiverse that would have included a Captain Marvel Earth, a Charlton-Watchmen type Earth and possibly also the Nazi JLA Earth-X.

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I would definitely be interested in reading about many of the other 52 earths, well 49 now since we have seen 3 of them already.

16. Admiral_Young

Yes...Morrison's long awaited and delayed Multiversity. I'm starting to lose hope that we'll ever see it. I think it's been three years now since it was first announced? Was supposed to come out last summer but then Flashpoint and the relaunch happened so it was probably put on the back burner.

17. Captain Craig

True. I can't recall the last time he stayed on a title for more than a year to year and half tops.

Does one have to go back to the 90's to find an example of that perhaps?

18. Admiral_Young

^ All Star Batman and Robin?? Although there were delays on that book I think so it probably doesn't count. I know I'm surprised he lasted longer than the opening arc on Justice League.

19. Captain Craig

Yeah you understand me there, but I'll clarify. By a year to 1.5yr I was meaning a book that comes out every month where a month=issue. So Lee on a book for more than 13-18 issues.

20. Admiral_Young

^ I know what you meant. I was attempting to give an example of a book in recent times though (any book). I think you could be right though if you're meaning an ongoing. Certainly pre-Image/Wildstorm/DC.