DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is like how Captain Marvel Junior can't say his own name?

"An Ape can say no to a man, but a man can never say no to an Ape."

but in truth it's more equatable to a lady changing her name for marriage.

You know if these suffixed 'girl' Super heroines chose their names when they were still almost children and felt compelled to express the change in their identity brought on by puberty...

Is Reed Richards a paedophile?

Sue Storm was 18 and he was 42 in the fantastic four #1.

Something like that.

But listen carefully to a woman about to be wed, complaining about changing her name on all her important paperwork, bills, credit cards, clubs and identifying documents, it's an expensive and pointless slog.

They do go on.

Brand identification.

Besides 90 percent of the people these "girls" meet are going to be punched in the face by these "girls" and after the fact, for these villains and assholes, what's going to leave a more humiliating stain in their memories, being beat up by a woman or being beaten up by a girl?

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that costume is pretty awful. the P around the left boob is just weird. No woman would have ever designed that.

3. Guy Gardener

No woman, or no straight woman?

4. Professor Zoom

Why do you think Lesbians can't be fashionable? Or at least have common sense? A Giant Stylized P around your boob? Only a dude would think that looks good.

5. Guy Gardener

fashionable smashonable.

I know they can (sometimes) be as unforgivably sexist and charmingly predatory as any man.

Lesbians make me seem like a better man.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, the peek-a-boo top was better than this - it was unique, if nothing else.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Indeed. It ("girl") can be a very "age-neutral" term depending on the context it is used in.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Laverne had a big L on her chest on Laverne and Shirley for years, so I can live with the giant letter P.

9. Professor Zoom

It's true, I loved how the Big L would curve around her left breast, almost cupping it...

...oh. Wait. It didn't do that.

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

The new Power Girl outfit brings back unpleasant memories of that godawful outfit they put her in back in the JLI days in the 1980s. It didn't last, and this one won't either. The cleavage window will be back, mark my words. (I definitely don't see the cosplayers swapping their outfits anytime soon.)

Alex

11. Guy Gardener

I've been clueless and nodding for a couple days now.

[​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

Not a fan.

What was i supposed to have read to have bumped into this abomination?

I flicked though the new Supergirl and didn't see her, or didn't recognize this...

It looks like a poncho over a sweat suit.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Animal Man and Swamp Thing #9 over the weekend.

Animal Man #9 - Has buddy traveling inside the Rot with The Shepherd(think ferryman from Greek myth) to try and locate the Totems. He needs to talk to them about his daughter Maxine. Meanwhile back on Earth his family is trying to stay ahead of the Rot's army chasing them. This is where John Constantine shows up to help out. A better issue than the last few at least.

Swamp Thing #9 - this series stays on it's high paces. Abigail is back to human form but I suspect will likely continue to have ties to the Rot. The last page teasing the return of Anton Arcane is the big news.

At Free Comic Book Day I got the following nu52 books at 50 cents a piece.
    Grifter #1-3
    Captain Atom #1-3
    Green Lantern #1-2
    Flash #1-2
    Firestorm #2
    Stormwatch #1,#3
    Batgirl #1
    Action Comics #1-3

13. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The poncho look is still preferable to fighting super-villains with her gigantic tits hanging out. Though for practicality she should ditch the cape, a short cape is a heck of a lot safer than a long one.

14. Guy Gardener

Actually, she talks about her tits hanging out in those Geoff Johns minnies from a couple years back.

She claims that they distract people with guns from aiming well or quickly.

Her tits save lives.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Amen, brother

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really, really not.

Start with Batman on that one - he's more physically vulnerable than just about any other superhero. When Bats gives up the ridiculous scalloped cape we can start talking about the fashion choices of the invulnerable.

In this age of merchandising and branding, who buys Supergirl giving up the franchise trademarks in the wake of Superman's death? The opposite is what would be far more likely.

Metropolis is kaput - what about Gotham City? I notice that the epilogue with Jay Garrett is set in Lansing, Michigan - it'd be great if the Earth 2 cast of characters all relocated to real-world settings like New York and Los Angeles.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, she's undercover on a parallel world and she's assuming her "new" super-hero id after the debut of that world's Supergirl.

The question is why are she and the Huntress hiding out instead of just heading to the Justice League and letting them know what's up?

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I entirely buy into Karen Starr simply hanging out as a venture capitalist during five years of earth-shaking threats - we've been told Superman died, Blackest Night occurred in some form, etc.

19. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She's bullet proof.And she's fast enough to catch bullets out of the air. She does not need to distract people with guns.

[​IMG]

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

We don't really know anything about this Karen Starr. As for Earth-shaking threats, though: the Justice League didn't get together until those five years had passed, so it's possible that any potentially earth-shaking events were handled quickly before word reached Karen.