DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Speculation suggests that the armoured man (or Fatherless) is the perfect Damian clone, with accelerated aging.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Leviathan puts every batbook in the NuDCU to shame.

This is how you write Batman.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Batman's a pretty good read.

5. Admiral_Young

Scott Snyder is an excellent Batman writer. As I've suggested, I would be more than pleased if he took over the reigns when Morrison leaves in a couple years.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Which means that all of their time together in Justice League International never happened. I'm not sure I want to read about a universe where Batman decking Guy never happened. :p

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool story bro.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah Justice League International seems to be completely new in the sense we're seeing the team form for the first time. Guy and Batman though are familiar with one another seeing as how both their continuities carried on from the previous one. Again...another reason why this meshed timeline is a bad idea. It's nearly impossible to reconcile everything.

9. Nerys Myk

If they don't mention it, it never happened.

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

But the entire relationship of Guy and Bats up to this point is pretty much built from their time as team-mates in Justice League International! It goes to follow that if Guy doesn't know J'onn, then he really shouldn't know Batman, either. Or at the very least, not have the same animosity, since the times where they butted heads never occurred. Just goes to show how much of a mess this reboot is.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Duly noted that he has a web site.

12. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't say that...it just means we don't know that it happened. We're still in the infant stages of this new continuity so there is still room to learn what exactly has or hasn't happened yet as it evolves and progresses.

@OdoWan I've pointed out many times in the thread what a mess this relaunch is. I agree with you.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but on the plus side, it may mean there's no such person as Mr. Nebula.

14. Nerys Myk

Perhaps the Punch Heard Round the World hasn't happened yet. Something to look forward to. :techman:

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Would that be referring to Superboy's emo-punch that fractured time? ;)

Here we go:

Batman: Still easily and clearly my favorite of the Bat-books. The story in this is moving along at a real nice pace, is interesting and the art work in this book continues to impress. Great characterizations of Batman/Bruce and Dick Grayson. Really, really fantastic.

Supergirl: Continues to be fun and interesting, I think the artwork has slid some since the first issue(s) but still it's a nice looking book. The story is moving along at a nice pace (even though only a matter of a day or two at most has passed since the first issue) and we still get a good look as Kara discovers her powers and weaknesses.

Catwoman: Still a book I'm not minding too much, it has certainly toned down on the fan-service (as I suspected it would) and the art continues to be pretty good. I think the story is slowing down a bit but I still like this one.

Wonder Woman: Speaking of slowing stories... These book's series is taking awhile to get, well, anywhere. The first three issues dealt with Wonder Woman confronting her Amazonian sisters on Themyscira, finding out shocking truths about her real origins only for her to storm off at the end of the previous issue declaring herself as Wonder Woman. This issue, she still more-or-less is dealing with these issues only to end up back at Themyscria. I think the art is really starting to slide as well, it's not working well for me. I think it is well past time for WW to end up in a contemporary setting and truly becoming "Wonder Woman" with all her virtues. This Wonder Woman seems like... well to much of like the feminist, woman-power, anti-man bitch her Amazonian sisters are. This thing really needs to get going and needs some much better covers.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The (One) Punch(!) Heard Round The World.

An absolute epic moment in Justice League history.

ETA: IMO, the best part of the scene isn't even in that re-cap. It's when Guy hands his ring to Blue Beetle who just tosses it over his shoulder. Seen here, with this interview with Keith Giffen.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

One Punch.
    Something that should be carried over into the nuDCU for sure!!!
    I remember that issue.

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favorite part of early JL(I) was the bit where the Gray Man finally gains manumission by way of his execution.

:weep:

19. Admiral_Young

Trekker I don't think maybe you're getting what the plot of the opening arc is. Diana's origin is just a sub-plot. Zeus is gone. The Gods are stirring and as we saw this issue it would appear a coup is in the works Diana herself is already established as Wonder Woman at this point, protecting the girl's child from the wrath of the gods, specifically Hera. We're building up to an inevitable confrontation between Hera and Diana. This is an exploration for "new" readers as to who this "new" Wonder Woman is. I will agree with you that the pace is a bit slow though. I have no issues with the art.

I had forgotten we'd seen the large armoured dude standing beside Talia before. He calls himself the Fatherless and claims to know Damian. I don't think it is as simple as being a fully grown and aged Damian clone. Also regarding what Allyn said about it making sense that Bruce has Damian close by him in "Batman and Robin" due to the bounty...remember this story takes place pre-Flashpoint and what is going on in the New 52. One would assume that Bruce and company were able to defeat Leviathan's plans and that the bounty is no longer in effect. I think Bruce is just having parental issues with Damian and the bounty has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Ha! "The Punch Heard Round The World" made #10 in Comic Vine's "Top 50 Comic Moments Of All Time".

Wow. I have read every single one of their Top 10 moments. Not all in their original issues, but I've read them all. Cool.