Spoilers DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 18, 2017.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The character Isis is Egyptian, I believe, not American--which is the reason why I made the specific reference to Egypt. In the fifties and sixties, Egypt and numerous other Arabic countries were in movements to "westernize" or to become progressive. Many women tossed away their hijabs and massive tourist campaigns to draw Europeans and Americans were launched. It was only after that repressive regimes put a stop to that mentality pretty much throughout the Arabic world and the African Muslim world as well. There are very few exceptions to this these days such as Lebanon and Turkey and some Eastern European nations.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The original Filmation character was an American schoolteacher named Andrea Thomas. The DC version of the character, Adrianna Tomaz, was an Egyptian refugee. But we've been clearly told that the Legends of Tomorrow version of the character, Zari Adrianna Tomaz, is a "grey hat hacktivist" from the United States in the 2030s -- basically a future version of Felicity Smoak. (Hey, I wonder if they might tie her in to Helix from Arrow.) Whether her ancestry is specifically Egyptian is unclear; the actress playing her, Tala Ashe, is Iranian by birth, although the name Zari is Arabic for flower.

Also, why in the world would you write the character name Isis as if it were an acronym?

3. theenglish

I think my spell check must have done that...??? Or it is because I've written the acronym so much over the past few years. I didn't realize the character details had already leaked.

4. Christopher

Either way, that's unfortunate. It's ridiculous that everyone has forgotten how widely the name Isis was used in many different contexts just because it happens to be one possible translation of the name of the Islamic State. Like I said, most government agencies, newspapers, and reference sources have switched to using ISIL, IS, or Daesh precisely to avoid that kind of confusion, but the stupid TV media insist on clinging to the outdated use of "ISIS."

Those details were in the very same news release that first announced the character's inclusion in LoT.

Oh, and Andrea Thomas from the Filmation show was supposedly a descendant of the pharaoh Hatshepsut, which is how she was able to inherit the powers, but evidently a very distant descendant.

5. theenglish

I never saw that program, being Canadian--I didn't even know it ever existed until this thread. Also, I didn't read the original source--I was just reading people's posts.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen nothing to suggest that they don't use ISIS because of confusion with other things called ISIS. And while I can predict the reaction to this but with Trump in office it has been *officially* ISIS since Feb 24. Cursory searches find it in use at the Washington Post and NY Times. (I'm now probably on numerous government watchlists as we speak...)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-isil-the-pentagon-informs-staff-in-new-memo/

8. Christopher

No, with things called Isis, as in the actual name rather than an acronym. And, yes, with some other things that previously used the acronym ISIS, such as a Canadian satellite, a UK physics research facility, various operating systems and software programs, and the spy agency in the TV series Archer. I believe it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article on IS, in the section pertaining to its nomenclature. Plus it's just common sense, given how very, very many things were already called Isis and don't deserve to be pointlessly stigmatized by people who read too much into names.

Oh, crap. That's probably because Trump is too stupid to comprehend that it has more than one name. Or maybe just because Obama preferred ISIL so therefore Republicans automatically have to reject it.

Isis is an Egyptian goddess, a DC superhero, an asteroid, a black cat from Star Trek, and another black cat from Batman: The Animated Series. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's the winner right there. I agree it helps in disambiguation, I just don't think that plays into why they use ISIL vs ISIS.

10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Comic-Con announcement released a synopsis for next season:

11. Christopher

...read a damn dictionary.

12. dahj

At least now they have a canon excuse for all the anachronisms in the show :D

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't a dictionary be anachronistic in 2017?

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  14. dahj

Eye dunt rmmembr lost tim Eye kneeded 1 :shrug:

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"I am not setting foot on the Titanic!"

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  16. Christopher

Okay, I gather that Victor Garber was in Titanic and this was a reference to that, but was there anything more to it than that? Was Stein quoting a line of Garber's from the movie, or something?

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It's been sooooo long since I've seen Titantic.:shrug:

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

He played the ship's builder, Thomas Andrews.

Hence "Whoever built that ship should be shot."

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations on having missed the biggest film of all-time, I guess?

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral