Spoilers DC TV Arrow/Flash Universe Crossover Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Timelord Victorious, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Bgt

Bgt Commander Red Shirt

Can Supergirl keep this suit? Minus the SS thingy of course.
    It is so much better than mini skirt. Please? pretty please?

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Earth-X Flash called Reverse Flash or are you just nicknaming him that?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I got the names of the Earth-X villains from the CBR article I linked to. Plus, he's wearing the standard Reverse Flash costume, except for the SS logo.

4. Christopher

And here's a 30-second preview:

There's dialogue, and a couple of shots that weren't in the photos.
    We see Joe West watching two flying women firing heat vision at each other -- from what I can make out of their wardrobe, I'm guessing this is Overgirl (on the left, wearing pants) and Kara (on the right, in a civilian dress) after the attack on the wedding in part 1. There's also a shot of Leonard Snart in a Nazi uniform -- is Citizen Cold a double agent, or is he undercover?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe with a lighter blue (I can't tell if it's blue or black.), no gloves, and a red cape. Otherwise, yeah, I agree.

6. Christopher

Overgirl's costume is black with red highlights, matching the other Nazi uniforms on the Earth-X characters.

7. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Long trailer chock full of extra coolness:

I am super excited for this crossover! That trailer is pure epic goodness.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is just something about seeing all our heroes together that is just fantastic! I mean, the Legends, Supergirl, Alex, Team Flash and Green Arrow all fighting together against Space Nazis? To paraphrase Heat Wave from the trailer: best crossover ever! Can't wait!

9. Christopher

This looks like a lot of fun. I love the bit where Sara and Alex both rip their dresses for action at the same time. And Vibe breaching Oliver into action! I guess that answers the question of where he got the bow and arrows at a wedding (as seen in one of the photos) -- he must've asked Cisco to vibe him back to the bunker in Star City.

I'm wondering about all the wedding guests, though. Do they all get evacuated before the heroes go into action?

So there are only 53 Earths? I thought they'd established before that the multiverse was limitless. Although apparently we've only seen or heard of fewer than 20 Earths so far, and the highest-numbered Earth that's been mentioned is Earth-48. Still, limiting it to 53 kind of rules out the possibility that every DC screen universe out there is part of the Arrowmultiverse. I'm not sure how many distinct TV and film incarnations of the DC universe we've seen over the decades, but it's probably a few dozen at least, and some of them have their own parallel Earths.

Not that I'm complaining; I never really wanted to think that adaptations like Gotham or Powerless or the DCEU were part of the Arrowverse reality anyway. But it is surprising that the Arrowmultiverse is so finite. (And I do kinda think it would be cool if Earth-1's John Constantine showed up on Lucifer sometime.)

10. Christopher

Okay, just for the hell of it, and since I'm too compulsive to pass up a list, here are just the live-action DC and Vertigo-based screen universes other than the Arrowverse, excluding rejected pilots (and excluding the Legends of the Superheroes variety specials from the '70s, which weren't really pretending to represent a real universe):

TV:
    Adventures of Superman
    Batman
    Shazam/Isis
    Wonder Woman
    Superboy
    Swamp Thing: The Series
    The Flash
    (1990 -- implicitly part of the Arrowmultiverse)
    Human Target (1992)
    Lois & Clark
    Smallville
    Birds of Prey
    Human Target
    (2010)
    Gotham
    iZombie
    Lucifer
    Preacher
    Powerless

Movie serials:
    The Adventures of Captain Marvel
    Spy Smasher
    Batman
    (2)
    Hop Harrigan
    The Vigilante
    Superman
    (2)
    Congo Bill
    Blackhawk

Feature films:
    Superman/Supergirl series
    Superman Returns variant on above
    Swamp Thing/The Return of Swamp Thing
    Burton/Schumacher Batman series, implicitly including Catwoman
    Steel
    Constantine
    (2005)
    Nolan Batman series
    V for Vendetta
    Watchmen
    The Losers
    Jonah Hex
    Green Lantern

DCEU

Hmm, if we limit it strictly to adaptations of DC Universe characters proper, that's maybe 33 distinct continuities, which added to the 19 or 20 seen or mentioned so far in the Arrowverse would totally fill up the 53 slots. And that would be too restrictive for future Arrowverse productions that wanted to add more Earths. I guess you could leave out the serials and gain 8 slots. And maybe you could assume that some of the productions share a universe -- for instance, there's a recent comics crossover positing that Batman '66 and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman share a reality. And the Birds of Prey pilot had an in-joke that could imply it was set in the Smallville universe.

And of course, this isn't even touching on the dozens of animated DC adaptations out there...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The number of the different Earths can not be consistent across the Muliverse. Most of the time it seems based on when discovered by the Earth of Arrow, The Flash, and Legends. But sometimes the larger numbers are based on an vague existing system. I would suspect that these Nazis see their Earth as "Number 1". With their own numbering system. Which would be the same for any other Earth with the ability to breach.
    Otherwise it would be like presuming that Alien civilizations call themselves by the English names we give their stars before we know they even existed.

12. Dick Whitman

I would hope that Wells' line about there being 52 Earths BUT now 53 is opening the door that his knowledge was wrong. If he did not know about this Earth whose to say there are not many others?

13. Christopher

It's not about the numbering, it's about how many there are in all, regardless of the order in which they're numbered.

Huh? Harry did know about that Earth. He's the one who tells the others about it. It was Supergirl who said there were only 52, and Harry corrected her. Although I wonder how she knew how many parallel Earths there are. She seemed unfamiliar with the concept when she first met Barry, so it can't be something she learned on Krypton.

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Kara could have asked her holographic mother about the multiverse (after meeting Barry).

15. Dick Whitman

My point was how could anyone know how many Earths there are? It would be like declaring you discovered the edge of the sky and there is nothing beyond it. Replace sky with Solar system, galaxy or universe. Just because they only knew of 52 or 53 Earths, etc does not mean no more exist.

Both Superboy and Lois & Clark had episodes about Alternate Earths. Superboy had 2 different episodes on that. If my memory is correct each Superboy episode had 2 different Earths in addition to the shows main Earth seen in every episode. So Superboy showed 5 different Earths. Lois & Clark showed 1 alternate Earth. A followup episode showed its alternate Clark visiting the main Earth.

I just remember Smallville had its own alternate Earth in season 10. Which introduced Ultraman as an alternate of Clark.

I agree having any type of limits on the multiverse makes no sense creatively. Most of the alternate Wells who have had one of appearances are purely for fun and random. I doubt the writers will stop themselves because if they reach the limit of 52 Earths because Tom Cavanagh already did goofy accents and costumes on too many.

16. Christopher

As we've seen, there are breachers like Gypsy and, well, Breacher who travel the multiverse routinely and have been doing so for many years. Earth-19 was first invaded 25 years ago, and they've been policing interdimensional travel since then. Given that Cisco's only been exploring the multiverse for two years and has already made contact with a couple of dozen Earths at least, then the Earth-19 breachers could've visited hundreds of parallel worlds in the course of 25 years, if that many worlds existed. But evidently they haven't. If the explorers of the multiverse have only found 50-odd parallel Earths in that span of time, it stands to reason that there are no more to find, or at least no more that are mutually accessible to one another.

Anyway, hopefully the full version of that scene will contain enough additional exposition to answer some of our questions.

17. Christopher

I just realized another problem with that "52 Earths" exposition scene: Why is Jax surprised that there's more than one Earth? He met both Supergirl and H.R. in last year's crossover. Plus he spent the 6 months before the current season in Central City, and one would assume that he and Stein would've helped out Vibe and Kid Flash on occasion during that period -- a period in which Cisco's relationship with Gypsy was apparently ongoing and evolving. So Jax really should be familiar with the idea of the multiverse by now.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Miller is going to steal the show. I can already tell.

19. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first read that I thought you were referring to Ezra Miller. Though I'd love to see them crossover the two Flashes on the show, after all let's face it they must use the same 'Speed Force', I suddenly realised that you meant Wentworth Miller :o.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral