DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dodge, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Ditto my friend - and that INCLUDES "Batman" and "The Fugitive" in its last season when it ran on ABC.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really hope we get some kind of official confirmation on exactly who is and isn't coming back soon, because all of these announcements of returning characters contradict all of the original stories that it was going to have an almost entirely new cast.
    Glad to hear this, I definitely prefer to see Idris Elba as a new character.

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I really liked Smith as Deadshot in Suicide Squad, and wasn't eager to see him replaced. And in general, the longer the DCEU can avoid the disruption and distraction of recastings, the better.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Black Spider? Bronze Tiger?

Captaindemotion likes this.
  6. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think the movie Penguin's sexual remarks were particularly plentiful or crude or really trying to be funny ("I'd like to fill her void", what do we have in common-"Naked sexual charisma?", maybe one or two others).

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

This though from the Variety Article:

"It is unknown what character Elba would now be playing, but after taking the last few weeks to discuss, everyone involved felt this was the right move. The team also did not want to feel as if it was disrespecting Smith, who helped bring this character to life for the first time, by replacing him with Elba."

No he didn't. :p Deadshot showed up in Arrow years earlier as a recurring character (and apparently even a couple times in Smallville). Arrow's Lawton was better than Will Smith-as-Deadshot, for my money. Because all I saw was Will Smith-as-Deadshot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Deathstroke

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Redshot? Deadaim? Roland?

10. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jimmy Bond?

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

Invisible Man???

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If they choose the ignore the end of the Justice League... which I'm in favor of...

Elba as Deathstroke could be a basket of fun.
    I'm inclined to bet it will be Bronze Tiger.

13. Nerys Myk

I've already forgotten it. (No do not remind me)

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  14. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman. :devil::devil::devil:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bronze Tiger seems like a pretty good choice to me, although it would probably take a bit of training to bring him up to the level fighting skill he's supposed to have.
    I actually think Joe Manganiello is a great choice for Deathstroke, and I wouldn't be against seeing him in his own movie or as a villain in The Batman.

16. Professor Zoom

What were we talking about?

17. Nerys Myk

Travis Mayweather.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  18. Professor Zoom

DAMMIT, why did you have to remind me ENTERPRISE?

*heads to the nearest bar to start drinking*

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the only point: the worst of the MCU fans started comparing the DCEU even when it was one film (2013's Man of Steel) to what was (at the time) eight MCU films. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad hit in 2016, and the usual suspects compared then three DCEU films to the MCU's then thirteen films (before the 11/2016 release of Doctor Strange), and that hyper-single minded, dishonest, "my toy is betters than yours" mentality continues to this day, divorced from an honest analysis of the individual film series on a film-by-film progression.

They needed to move at their own pace and choices, not to keep up with another franchise. I respect the DC films having their own identity and voice, as opposed to being a shameless rip-off of the MCU, which--much to the chagrin of its biggest fans--is far from perfect.

That is not reflective of real history, where the character was not only heavily merchandised for more than 50 years, had been adapted several times, and of interest to studios over the course of 40 years. Again, studios are not in the business of adapting so-called "insults," and as far as "boy scouts" go, the MCU Cap is still a "boy scout" and more than any of the other characters in this franchise, if there's a moral road to take, he chooses it, while surrounded by those who commit less than honorable acts / believe in ethically fractured ideas, hence his arguments with Fury in The Winter Soldier and Stark in the Avengers, Age of Ultron and Civil War. ...and Rogers is arguably the best written/developed Marvel movie character. I do not wonder why.

Let's get this straight: "only" five seasons is rare for superhero-based series, and any TV historian will tell you it was not only successful for Universal, but for CBS, a network that dared to run it in the Friday night slot between summer 1978-81,as a lead-in to two of that era's most popular series--an unquestoned powerhouse line up in TV history--The Dukes of Hazard and Dallas. This happened in a period where superhero series were not network favorites to program by any stretch of the imagination, which is yet another testament to its strength, as fantasy TV series rarely performed well on Fridays, when it was assumed target audiences would be prefer to be occupied by other interests. How many superhero series are run on Friday and succeed in this superhero overpopulated era?

Aside from disproving your quote with my post above, I'm not the only one seeing how flat out wrong you are:

According to...? Cartoons are part of the cultural memory and success of a property. Its the reason WB and Disney/Buena Vista have released the majority of DC and Marvel cartoons (respectively) ever produced, because they were and are cultural fixtures appealing to those who crossed over into adulthood ages ago. If a "majority of people over 10" had "no knowledge" of superhero cartoons, then the aforementioned companies would not continue to release superhero cartoons dating from the 1960s up to more recent productions. They have always appealed to people for both nostalgic reasons and adult followers.

The Hulk as a character and the idea of a big screen version in the works appealed to far more than comic/superhero fans, as the character had become a household name/concept decades earlier. If any superhero production had to rely on niche fans alone, they would have failed miserably every time.

Well said.

20. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Commodore Commodore

I was under the impression this conversation was over, so I'm not going to reply to every bullet point here, but instead I'll simply say this.

Unlike you and Christopher, I'm not inclined to judge the succes of a series on a curve. Being more successful than most superhero shows at the time - or being allowed to be the lead-in to major hit shows - does not make five seasons and some tv movies a roaring success that is somehow supposed to still be relevant decades later even though the production has been largely forgotten outside of genre fans in between.

Likewise, Captain America being 'adapted several times' to cartoons, direct to video films and a Captain America in name only serial doesn't really speak highly of the characters pop culture presence.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Anwar and Reverend like this.