DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Limp example. Spider-Man's comic book version (including that one attempt to join the F.F.) was not chasing after another hero like a chattering, star-struck fanboy / sidekick wannabe (the point you're trying to dance around), which is the characterization of the MCU version. You do realize Lee, Ditko, Romita, et al. always reinforced the idea that Spider-Man was a loner who--ultimately--had to go his own way? Missed that? The people behind the MCU certainly missed it in their dedicated acts of "knowing and embracing what they are".

Spider-Man was one of the worst Loners ever, almost as bad as Wolverine. All he did was make friends, team up, work with others, etc.

The idea he was some "true loner" was always wrong headed.

Well, he's certainly the most dysfunctional, since he has such pooriliar relationships with various members of his "family" unit.

But that has always been the core of Batman, really. He never grew up with a complete, fully functioning family unit. Alfred did the damned best he could, but one person is not enough. He so much wanted to connect with people, but didn't know what to do when he made that connection. He was like a dog chasing a car. Didn't know what to do with it when he got it..

Wait, there's an odd connection that sounds familiar.......

The worst loner has always been Batman. Dude can barely exist without some kid nearby.
giphy.gif

Batman: I don't need anyone! I work alone....well, except for Gordon, and Alfred, and Robin, and the other Robin, and the OTHER other Robin, and Catwoman, and Batgirl, and Harold, and...uh, where was I going with this again?

Batman: And then there's Batwoman and Batwing. We sometimes refer to ourselves as "The Bat Family" but I positively work ALONE.

;)

Last edited:
Batman: And then there's Batwoman and Batwing. We sometimes refer to ourselves as "The Bat Family but I positively work ALONE.

;)

Don't forget Lucius Fox, Ace the bat Hound, Azrael (when he's not acting crazy), Duke Thomas, Flamebird, sometimes Huntress (Both Helena Bertanelli and, once or twice, a time/dimension traveling Helena Wayne), The Outsiders (especially Geo-Force, Black Lightning, Katana, Metamorpho, Halo and Looker), and various frequent non-Bat related Superhero collaborators (Superman, Plastic Man, Elastic Man, Zatanna, Bronze Tiger, Green Arrow, etc).

But besides all of that, The Batman definitely works alone.

Heck, in the mid-seventies there was a comic titled "Batman Family"; although Batman never actually teamed up with any of the supporting characters that were spotlighted.

Thinking about it more, he even created a literal Batman Inc. to support various Bat-themed heroes and allies around the world. He's franchised himself :lol:

Bruce Wayne/Batman- I did you guys( justice system) a big favor! I have successfully franchised vigilantism :)

Iron Man 2 reference

But that has always been the core of Batman, really.
Not for the first fifty or sixty years. For most of his history, including the forties and the bronze age, Batman was obsessed and driven, sometimes standoffish, but not a complete misanthrope unable to form human relationships and hellbent on abusing and manipulating his friends and allies. That really didn't start until probably sometime post "No Man's Land"

I mean, Robin debuted in 1940 and Batman formed The Outsiders in the Bronze Age (1983 specifically). Also, Brave and the Bold was a specifically Batman focused team up book from Issue #74 in 1967 until the last issue, #200, which was several years into the bronze age (1983 again, actually).

While he has had loner periods all over his career, he's never really been a solo hero since Robin showed up in 1940. The closest would be after Jason Todd died I guess, especially since he got into a whole solo attitude after jason died (from what I remember, at least) but Dick Grayson was still around and Tim Drake would debut the year after Jason died.

While he has had loner periods all over his career, he's never really been a solo hero since Robin showed up in 1940. The closest would be after Jason Todd died I guess, especially since he got into a whole solo attitude after jason died (from what I remember, at least) but Dick Grayson was still around and Tim Drake would debut the year after Jason died.
He was a "loner" for a big chunk of the 70s to the extent that Robin was in college and only returned periodically but, as you touch upon, he was still working with other heroes in B&B, as well as in JLA and WF.

But that has always been the core of Batman, really. He never grew up with a complete, fully functioning family unit. Alfred did the damned best he could, but one person is not enough. He so much wanted to connect with people, but didn't know what to do when he made that connection. He was like a dog chasing a car. Didn't know what to do with it when he got it..

Wait, there's an odd connection that sounds familiar.......

The dramatic irony of a man who loves his found family deeply and who desperately longs to connect with them but doesn't really know how is probably what I find most compelling about Batman.

I was wondering why no one was talking about Blue Beetle or even made a separate thread - after watching half the movie i know why.

Wow, it is generic superhero movie making that we have come to expect from DC ( especially when they do origin movies) but this went downhill so fast after after about half the movie when
Jamie's dad dies due to a heart attack and BB is captured, the rest of the family after breaking down and mere minutes screen and movie time later they are laughing and having fun discovering the former Blue Beetle's cave and his gadgets, which they want to use to rescue Jamie including a supercringe scene with Grandma going into Rambo mode wielding a big fucking gun ( BFG).

Fast forwarded to a couple of scenes and yup - obligatory climactic re-fight against a guy he lost to earlier and he gets the girl. Btw.. he meets her for barely seconds in total and the first time they can have an actual talk and be personal they almost kiss? Is that how it works and why i've been single most of my 20s because i didn't know how it's done? :wtf:

Skip this and maybe only watch it if you have nothing else to do or want to for completeness sake but you are not missing out.

I sincerely hope the Gunn DC is way better than this.

Is there a generic Batman reference in the movie?

He gets mentioned once alongside Superman and Flash plus the main character apparently went to Gotham Law school because he wears a hoodie from that school and has recently graduated ( apparently from there). I'm no DC expert, much less a BB expert, so i'm positive i missed a ton of easter eggs as is the norm these days with these movies.

Back