DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that's certainly one way to differentiate the movie from the TV show... :D

Noname Given likes this.
  2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Oh. No. What what happen if we let him walk!? Oh. No. It would be the end of the DCEU.

Nah.

Who cares. It’s not like he’s a star or made any impression as The Flash. Cut him lose.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Miller however wants to go for a darker tone for the movie

He has apparently butted heads with the directors for this. The article states that if Miller & Morrison's draft gets passed on, that would increase the likelihood of Miller to leave the project altogether.

Finally, according to a listed anonymous insider source, there is a time limit involved. That Miller's deal with the Flash movieexpires in May 2019..

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, Grant Morrison is not a name I would have expected to see associated with something like The Flash movie. Not quite sure what to make of him and Miller writing the scrip, it sounds like Miller has little to no writing experice, and Morrison seems to get a lot crazier than what you typically see in these kinds of movies. My only real experience with Grant Morrison's writing is All-Star Superman, which was great, but I also get the impression it was much more subdued and straight forward than what he usually writes.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read his Green Lantern yet, because I've been invested in the Lantern series since Hal's return and Morrison likes to piss on contemporary continuity just because he can. That said AS Superman was great. His Action Comics and Batman runs were wonderful love letters to the history of those characters.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just when DC is trying to get away from darker movies, Miller wants to revert back to grimdark hell. Just let him walk. When it comes to the JL cast, Affleck is gone already, and Flash and Cyborg weren't exactly lighting the world on fire in the film. Keep Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and maybe Superman (if they must), and just soft reboot everything else. I doubt many people will care (or probably even notice) if they recast the movieverse Flash.

Also, Grant Morrison being involved just makes things worse. He was at his best as a writer when he was lesser known and the Editors could actually guide his insanity. He eventually became too much of a big name for the editors to really reign his worst impulses in, which is how he went from stuff like his (generally excellent) JLA run to incoherent crap like Final Crisis, Multiversity, Batman RIP and Green Lantern. Any movie he had too much influence over would probably end up a pretentious, incoherent mess. Think Southland Tales or Donnie Darko but with a superhero.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, please let this happen!

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not seeing the downside.

9. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Southland Tales is alot like comics.

In that you have government conspiracies, shitty extremist civilian groups, and negative space-time wedgies popping out of nowhere...all at the same time.

But what’s really important, is whether Bruce Banner manages to gets over the trauma of his abusive childhood and the death of his mother. Because that lets him have half-decent control of the Hulk, and lets him defeat the sympathetic dweeb that’s slowly been revealed as a supervillain over the course of this run.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am probably one of the few who believe that the murder of Barry's mother is the worst thing to have happened to his character. It is too ingrained in DC lore now to easily change, but I really dislike that the core JL members are basically the Orphan's Club these days. (Cyborg excluded I guess.)

Thestral likes this.
  11. kirk55555

Incoherent, absolutely terrible movies that basically no one besides the writer/director can make any real sense of? Definite downside. I may hate Snyder's work, but he's Spielberg compared to the people who made those two movies I mentioned (especially Southland Tales, a movie so awful everyone involved should have been charged with crimes against humanity, and against the very concepts of writing and movie making in general).

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never seen Southland Tales, but Donnie Darko is awesome, so if that is the kind of thing we can expect from Morrison then I'm all in.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

You know, I usually find the hyperbole you employ either mildly amusing or vaguely irritating. However, “crimes against humanity”, to describe a movie, pushes the boundaries of tasteless commentary a bit far, no?

14. kirk55555

Southland Tales was one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. Its the worst thing any of the actors in it have ever been in. Its incoherent garbage that you can tell the writer/director thought was brilliant. So, no, not hyperbole, at least in the sense that as I watched it I wished that the writer/director would suffer actual consequences for having made the film. The guy who wrote and directed Southland tales also wrote/directed Donnie darko.

Also, "tasteless commentary" :rolleyes: What's tasteless is watching two cg trucks hump each other, then spending another 2 hours+ watching the cinematic equivalent of diarrhea as you realize that Southland Tales is quite possibly the most nonsensical film made in decades. That movie is so fucking bad that I'm not going to take any of this "it can't be that bad" bullshit. It is basically the worst work of literally everyone involved at the writer, directing, producing and acting level.

To be fair, the writer/director did get "punished", in that Southland Tales made back less then 1/17th of its budget and so he only got to shit out one more movie before basically doing nothing for about a decade now.

15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So a movie you didn’t like (total shocker) is the equivalent of the Holocaust, the Rwandan or Armenian genocides, slavery and similar outrages against humanity. But you’re not engaging in tasteless hyperbole. Gotcha.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Kirk's defense, it's not unheard of for people to say this in an exagerating manner. Google "fashion crimes against humanity", for instance, and there are links (or substitute haircut, or whatever). There's a popular game called "Cards Against Humanity" and so on. Even Seinfeld had the soup Nazi.

As to the Flash and Miller/Morrison there’s only vague unattributed sourcing that he wants a darker movie. Who knows what that means if even true but Morrison knows his way around a comic book so I’ll wait to see what comes out before shitting on it. (No, not literally)

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That it’s not unheard of is not an excuse. There’s also a time and place. Could we let oh, I don’t know, a week go by after the New Zealand massacre of Muslims by someone who endorses white supremacy before making light of crimes against humanity?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

An Australian... I'm ashamed.

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

This latest string of posts remind me of the time Kevin Smith won on Screen Junkies Movie Fights against Elijah Wood and Dan Murrell at the question, if they could erase any movie from existence. Wood picked Tim Burton's "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory", Murrell picked "Jaws II" (arguing that without it, the age of the deminishing sequels would never have come), and at last minute Smith thought of Leni Riefenstahl's Nazi propaganda film "Triumph of the Will". By virtue of being instrumental in enabling the Nazis to commit the holocaust, it was absolutely impossible for Murrell and Wood to argue against it and for their own picks (Wood didn't even try, Murrell made a forced, half-hearted attempt quickly abandoned).

I guess we sometimes need to be reminded of the true horrors of life to get some perspective that a movie you don't like is still just a movie.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He has a short memory of cinematic history, then. Diminishing sequels have been a thing far, far longer than that. Just look at the Universal Monsters in the '40s or the Godzilla sequels from 1955 through the '70s.

Add D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation, which was part of an active propaganda campaign to promote white supremacism and was long used as a recruitment tool by the KKK.

IronWaffle likes this.